Edgar Wright Leaves Ant-Man!! - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if this news will have any affect at all on Chris Evans wanting to direct a future MCU film if he wanted to.

How is it legitimate? Because Wright left the film and his vision doesn't fit the framework of a Disney/MCU movie?

Because a break in this kind of trend is weird and raises totally legitimate questions about why it happened and what it means for the future.

How is it illegitimate?

Man, James Gunn spelled this whole thing out for you. Go back and re-read his comments.

What comments did James Gunn make besides not wanting to replace Wright?

Because a break in this kind of trend is weird and raises totally legitimate questions about why it happened and what it means for the future.

How is it illegitimate?

Sometimes you have friends in a relationship. You love each of them dearly as individuals and think they're amazing people. When they talk to you about their troubles, you do everything you can to support them, to keep them together, because if you love them both so much doesn't it make sense they should love each other? But little by little you realize, at heart, they aren't meant to be together - not because there's anything wrong with either of them, but they just don't have personalities that mesh in a comfortable way. They don't make each other happy. Although it's sad to see them split, when they do, you're surprisingly relieved, and excited to see where their lives take them next.

It's easy to try to make one party "right" and another party "wrong" when a breakup happens, but it often isn't that simple. Or perhaps it's even more simple than that - not everyone belongs in a relationship together. It doesn't mean they're not wonderful people.

And that's true of both Edgar Wright and Marvel. One of them isn't a person, but I think you get what I mean.

https://www.facebook.com/jgunn?fref=ts

From his Facebook:

"Sometimes you have friends in a relationship. You love each of them dearly as individuals and think they’re amazing people. When they talk to you about their troubles, you do everything you can to support them, to keep them together, because if you love them both so much doesn’t it make sense they should love each other?

‘But little by little you realize, at heart, they aren’t meant to be together – not because there’s anything wrong with either of them, but they just don’t have personalities that mesh in a comfortable way.

‘They don’t make each other happy. Although it’s sad to see them split, when they do, you’re surprisingly relieved, and excited to see where their lives take them next."

I'll eagerly await your attempt to marginalize those comments coming from one of Marvel's most eccentric directors.

Sometimes you have friends in a relationship. You love each of them dearly as individuals and think they're amazing people. When they talk to you about their troubles, you do everything you can to support them, to keep them together, because if you love them both so much doesn't it make sense they should love each other? But little by little you realize, at heart, they aren't meant to be together - not because there's anything wrong with either of them, but they just don't have personalities that mesh in a comfortable way. They don't make each other happy. Although it's sad to see them split, when they do, you're surprisingly relieved, and excited to see where their lives take them next.

It's easy to try to make one party "right" and another party "wrong" when a breakup happens, but it often isn't that simple. Or perhaps it's even more simple than that - not everyone belongs in a relationship together. It doesn't mean they're not wonderful people.

And that's true of both Edgar Wright and Marvel. One of them isn't a person, but I think you get what I mean.

https://www.facebook.com/jgunn?fref=ts

Okay. I hope that's all there is to it. I would feel totally reassured if we had some concrete details about how and why Marvel and Wright didn't "mesh in a comfortable way," as Gunn put it.

I'll eagerly await your attempt to marginalize those comments coming from one of Marvel's most eccentric directors.

Why are you being so hostile about this?

Okay. I hope that's all there is to it. I would feel totally reassured if we had some concrete details about how and why Marvel and Wright didn't "mesh in a comfortable way," as Gunn put it.

Honestly man, it's not even any of your business. That's Marvel's and Wright's.

You're playing a game of semantics now and want "total reassurance" even after comments like that from Gunn, especially when nobody else is talking. This goes back to my comments about being veiled.

Why are you being so hostile about this?

Do you even know what hostile means? I haven't used one hostile word towards you.

I dunno, to me anyway it felt like more about love for a kick ass action spy movie than the character himself, which there's nothing wrong with cause the end result was still great.

I thought it was a bit of both, but let's agree to disagree on this.

I was under the impression that Marvel kept putting it off. They did not want him in Phase 1 or Phase 2 as it didn't fit their strategy for either. That is why Wright made The World's End during the "Phase 2" era.

At least, that is what the reports seemed to indicate.

Wright signed on when Iron Man was still in its very early pre-production stages and kept putting it off. Then he put the project on hold for a while, then did Scott Pilgrim, then put it on hold for a while again, then did World's End. Basically Marvel agreed to wait for him and give him the time he needed.

Feige even said they selected the Avengers roster in such way it wouldn't interfere with Wright's vision.

Feige will probably be bombarded with questions on this topic at Comic Con.

Honestly man, it's not even any of your business. That's Marvel's and Wright's.

How do you think? I'm not sure I consider creative differences as being so deeply personal as an actual breakup.

You're playing a game of semantics now and want "total reassurance" even after comments like that from Gunn, especially when nobody else is talking.

In what way am I playing a game of semantics? Gunn's comments are vague on the details, and as nice as what he said is I'd feel a lot better if I had some concrete details that explained what exactly the disconnect between Wright and Marvel was. What's semantic about that?

And the fact that no one else is talking is part of why I don't feel completely reassured. No one is backing him up, no one is saying he's wrong, his comment is just floating out there by itself. That's not reassuring. I hope what he said is the case, but there's still a nagging uncertainty about what went down.

Why is that so offensive to you?

Do you even know what hostile means? I haven't used one hostile word towards you.

Do you even now what hostile means? Hostility isn't solely defined by swearing and name calling.

Feige will probably be bombarded with questions on this topic at Comic Con.

I'm looking forward to seeing what his answers are.

How do you think? I'm not sure I consider creative differences as being so deeply personal as an actual breakup.

Marvel doesn't owe you any explanations about differences they have with Wright.

In what way am I playing a game of semantics? Gunn's comments are vague on the details, and as nice as what he said is I'd feel a lot better if I had some concrete details that explained what exactly the disconnect between Wright and Marvel was. What's semantic about that?

And the fact that no one else is talking is part of why I don't feel completely reassured. No one is backing him up, no one is saying he's wrong, his comment is just floating out there by itself. That's not reassuring. I hope what he said is the case, but there's still a nagging uncertainty about what went down.

Why is that so offensive to you?

Gunn used an analogy because it's not his place to mention specifics and neither is it anyone else's. I mean this just happened less than 48 hours ago, talk about impatience on your part. But Gunn does paint the obvious picture of two parties who did not work well together. You sit there worried about what this means for artistic liberties with future directors, when Gunn is one of the most eccentric of them all and he got to make his film.

It boils down to collective vision and clearly Wright's and Marvel/Disney's is not the same.

Do you even now what hostile means? Hostility isn't solely defined by swearing and name calling.

You think anyone disagreeing with you and calling your ironies out as being hostile. I remember this distinctly from the last time we conversed.

What I don't get is why anyone would think that public statements by either party, that people automatically assume they are lying.

That's why I laugh at the crowd that constantly talks about Disney exec interference. People don't understand how subsidiaries are run. Disney has little to no involvement in Marvel, they have enough trouble running their own studio with disasters like the Lone Ranger and John Carter.

Disney is responsible for distribution costs that's all. That's the extent of their involvement. No one talks about Disney interfering with Pixar.

I'm disappointed that Wright isn't on this film, but it is what it is. I just hope they can get a director that has the same love for the character.

Forget it, Question, your crime was even showing worry or doubt about anything Marvel Studios related, with even the vague implication that Marvel might have made a decision that was less than ideal. Rock Sexton has long been a Marvel homer who'll flip his lid at even the faintest of criticisms of the studio. I don't know of it's because he's on the payroll or because Kevin Feige is a beloved close family member who he is obligated to always defend, but whatever the reason, it seems like as far as a Rock is concerned, if you don't see everything associated with Marvel as wonderful and utopian - and by extension, if you don't see everything and everyone that disassociates with Marvel as the worst kind of garbage - you are by default a "hater."

That's totally uncalled for. Rock isn't defending the studio, he's just not assuming the worst as some of you do.

There was a disagreement in the vision and from everything I read, it was Wright who decided he couldn't work under the constraints. It's sad that we won't get to see his vision after all this time, but it is what it is.

Marvel doesn't owe you any explanations about differences they have with Wright.

Why not?

Gunn used an analogy because it's not his place to mention specifics and neither is it anyone else's. I mean this just happened less than 48 hours ago, talk about impatience on your part.

I never said that I demanded answers this very second. All I said is that I would be 100% reassured until I have them. I'm willing to wait.

But Gunn does paint the obvious picture of two parties who did not work well together.

And I hope that picture is accurate. But I don't no for certain, so I'm a little worried.

You sit there worried about what this means for artistic liberties with future directors, when Gunn is one of the most eccentric of them all and he got to make his film.

Yeah. He got to make his film. Then, after he made this film, this happened. I'm concerned that this might signify a change.

It boils down to collective vision and clearly Wright's and Marvel/Disney's is not the same.

Maybe. You don't know that and I don't know that. We can't say anything with certainty right now.

You think anyone disagreeing with you and calling your ironies out as being hostile. I remember this distinctly from the last time we conversed.

The thing is, I don't actually think that. Maybe the problem is that you're a lot more hostile towards people disagreeing with you than you realize. Like, you came into this saying that I secretly hate the Marvel Cinematic Universe that that's what motivated my arguments. And if I recall correctly, the point of disagreement in our last conversation was that you thought the basic standard of my minor criticism of a film that I genuinely thought was great film was inherently invalid. That's pretty damn hostile, dude.

Last edited:
Why not?

I never said that I demanded answers this very second. All I said is that I would be 100% reassured until I have them. I'm willing to wait.

And I hope that picture is accurate. But I don't no for certain, so I'm a little worried.

Yeah. He got to make his film. Then, after he made this film, this happened. I'm concerned that this might signify a change.

Maybe. You don't know that and I don't know that. We can't say anything with certainty right now.

The thing is, I don't actually think that. Maybe the problem is that you're a lot more hostile towards people disagreeing with you than you realize. Like, you came into this saying that I secretly hate the Marvel Cinematic Universe that that's what motivated my arguments. That's pretty damn hostile, dude.

While you prematurely worry your little heart out of seismic shifts, try this out ...... hope it helps.

[YT]LTGdAGPDBpo[/YT]

While you prematurely worry your little heart out of seismic shifts, try this out ...... hope it helps.

[YT]LTGdAGPDBpo[/YT]

1: This isn't helping you with the "I'm not being hostile" argument.

2: I have no idea what this is.

I find it humorous that people seem to think "one side" has to be the villain in this..

Isnt it possible (and highly probable) everyone is to blame? And things just didnt work out...

Why does anyone HAVE to be the bad guy? It just didnt work out... most of this stuff isnt black and white nor are they over one thing... but several pieces not aligning

I find it humorous that people seem to think "one side" has to be the villain in this..

Isnt it possible (and highly probable) everyone is to blame? And things just didnt work out...

Why does anyone HAVE to be the bad guy? It just didnt work out... most of this stuff isnt black and white nor are they over one thing... but several pieces not aligning

I genuinely hope that's the case. But since we don't know for sure, some folks are a bit concerned.

What's funny to me is how someone can sit there with a straight face and cast sooooooooo many question marks over the future of the MCU based on this obscure franchise and parting ways with the director.

Who knew so much was riding on Ant-Man.

What's funny to me is how someone can sit there with a straight face and cast sooooooooo much importance on the future of the MCU based on this obscure franchise and parting ways with the director.

Who knew so much was riding on Ant-Man.

That's not what the argument is. No one thinks that anything is riding on Ant-Man. They're just wondering if the way Marvel/Disney is handling this production says anything about how they will handle future productions. It has nothing to do with the importance of the franchise and everything to do with patterns of behavior and unexpected changes in those patterns.

I feel Wright's departure is an excuse for fans to say "I'm not going to see Ant-Man." Was there any reason to see it anyway? Rudd? Douglas?

I feel Wright's departure is an excuse for fans to say "I'm not going to see Ant-Man." Was there any reason to see it anyway? Rudd? Douglas?

The fact that it was going to be Edgar Wright's take in Ant Man is what had me interested.

That's totally uncalled for. Rock isn't defending the studio, he's just not assuming the worst as some of you do.

There was a disagreement in the vision and from everything I read, it was Wright who decided he couldn't work under the constraints. It's sad that we won't get to see his vision after all this time, but it is what it is.

I'm going to have to actually apologise to Rock Sexton here, as I was actually getting him mixed up with someone else. Earlier this week when the GOTG trailer hit, somebody wrote this post laying out a whole bunch of positives about the trailer, before saying something like "One negative, though, I still don't buy Chris Pratt as a leading actor. Star-Lord just seems annoying to me." Or something like that. And someone, who I remembered as being Rock Sexton, quoted her, ignored all the positive stuff, and highlighted that one line before attacking her for it. And then he went on to hound her for pages, where every post seemed to get a passive-aggressive response and comments about how she was a hater and anti-Marvel, blah blah blah. And this person had already annoyed me because I'd seen them lash out with kneejerk snarkiness at anyone who criticised anything MCU in the past, like getting disproportionately ANGRY at any disagreement. And somewhere in my mind I remembered this person as Rock Sexton. So, when I read Rock's argument with Question which seemed to be very much framed in the way of that earlier GOTG trailer dispute, I decided to finally comment on it given I was sick of constantly reading it. But having actually looked back, it turns out that the guilty party from before was another poster, who I won't name here.

So, sorry Rock Sexton. There's a lot about your posts I currently disagree with and will surely say as much in future posts, but it's unfair to also tie you to stuff you didn't post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"