Edgar Wright Leaves Ant-Man!! - Part 2

Discussion in 'Ant-Man' started by Thread Manager, Jul 18, 2014.

1. fixxxer ...goes to 11

^

Scoop #1 (1959): Liz Taylor Cast As Cleopatra
    Scoop #2 (2023): Entire Movie Industry Moving To Oculus Rift Format

2. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

I doubt that. If The Fuzzy Pink Nightgown proved anything, than that Jane Russell was born to play the part. I wish Wright and LR would shut up with all their unfounded rumors...:cmad:

3. fixxxer ...goes to 11

^

Frickin' Egyptian history fanboys! The worst! :)

4. Man in the Suit Greeting

Devin Faraci said that they've made Scott Lang a criminal again (like in Wright's version) and brought it back closer to where Wright had it through reshoots. He was going to be a corporate whistleblower in the draft before McKay & Rudd wrote theirs.

5. obsidianrpg Registered

In prelude comics he was still a corporate whistle blower turned Robin Hood rogue and reality ensued as he was arrested immediately.

I actually tracked down Bring It On. It's really surreal, as it's part parody (of cheerleader stereotypes), part satire("Cheerleaders are dancers who have gone ******ed") and a large part serious business. Can't believe Faith from Buffy and Mary Jane are in it too.

So the question is, will Ant-Man be the Citizen Kane of Ant movies?

6. Scarlet Spider Registered

7. Scarlet Spider Registered

8. Dyson Registered

9. Paradox1 Registered

Why is he even talking about this? Now when I watch Ant-Man I'm gonna feel like its an inferior version.

10. Mike Murdock Registered

This is the one time I hope to see Edgar Wright's screenplay. Wait until after Ant-Man is released (so we're not pre-judging the new thing) and then let's compare the two. I know it's selfish. I know Marvel gains little besides an appreciation of their willingness to be transparent from a minority of fans. But it would be nice to know what could have been and what went wrong.

11. culver3vlr22 Registered

Isn't wright getting a producing credit as well?

12. terry78 He will eat YOU... if you are wrong

If you go in thinking it's the lesser version you won't be objective at all.

13. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

In fairness since Weight left and was replaced by Reed I have been expecting an inferior movie, Reed just isn't in Tue same league as Weight in terms of directing, or writing for that matter. However, that latest trailer was great and I am really looking forward to the movie still.

14. antsman41 Belongs To Prince

15. TheComicbookKid Swing n Miss

The Mouse has put that thing in the vault to never see the light of day.

16. Moridin Death Contagious Deity

The quote is from last July, on set. And he was asked about it.

It became lesser the moment Wright left.

Reed/McKay/Rudd aren't up to Wrights standard. Yet I would be a lot more optimistic if they had a year of prep before filming started but the reality is they only had a couple months at most to make heavy changes. That's the biggest problem here (even though some people would have you believe there's no problem at all, & it's all going according to Feige's master plan).

17. Paradox1 Registered

I get that he was asked, but he should of said nothing about how great the script was.

18. culver3vlr22 Registered

Woah McKay isn't on wrights level? Let's ease it on that one. The mans a genius.

19. Mike Murdock Registered

^ Yeah, I think that's absurd without knowing what the finished product of each was.

Oh, I know that. But it doesn't hurt to plead for it anyway.

20. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

From The HR interview

21. SyntaxError Registered

Personally think Wright is way over-rated, and if he wasn't willing to fit his script into the established universe, then good riddance they parted ways.

Thing Adam McKay is a brilliant writer and will definitely be getting his own directed gig for Marvel soon. Probably Inhumans of Captain Marvel.

Also have a lot of confidence in Reed, seems extremely passionate about the character and the film. Also narrowly lost Guardians to Gunn, apparently.

22. Moridin Death Contagious Deity

I only just saw these;

Seriously? No, McKay isn't anywhere near Wright in terms of directing OR writing.

The Others Guys is the only film of his I actually like & think is good/funny.

Anchorman? Step Brothers? Talladegha Nights? Writing wise they rely heavily on improv from the actors, those scripts are incredibly loose, and honestly are barely there.

They have their amusing moments and have some great quotes here and there, but examples of great scriptwriting they are not.

Directorially he's totally average.

Reed has never made a film I'd remotely come close to calling remarkable, or even good really.

There's nothing absurd about comparing their track records.

He was willing, according to both Feige & Wright himself. In summer 2013 both of them had said Wright had updated the script to accomodate where the MCU now was. So can this nonsense "Wright isn't a team player/didn't want to include MCU" narrative please die now?

23. culver3vlr22 Registered

Will Ferrell said McKay is the man who comes up with most the lines on set and hat McKay is the funniest person he's ever met.... The guys a genius there is zero question about that.

24. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

as a director though, wright is on a completely different level. there are so many opportunities to cash in on a potentially comedic situation, many of which are simply ignored by fother contemporary comedy directors. Wright, however, takes advantage of seemingly mundane cinematic devices, like transitional sequences and exposition scenes, and pulls as much comedy out of it as he can.
    this might illustrate it better:
    https://vimeo.com/96558506
    this is what makes Wright style unique and superior to most comedy directors, including McKay.
    No doubt McKay is talented and the movie is in good hands. Visually however, Wright is smarter and there is objectivly no way denying that.

25. Whiskey Tango Registered

Agreed with this & I think McKay (and Reed to a lesser degree) is being unfairly criticized a few posts up.