Edgar Wright's Ant-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the name "Ant-Man" they should gear this to be a PG movie with a romantically failed young professor Henry Pym trying to woo his socialite neighbor Janet van Dyne. It's a love story with bugs and bio guns.

i think it would be funny if the movie was about antman dealing with being lesser known than the likes of iron man and captain america, like he feelis inadequate and what not, and his nemesis for the movie could be like leap frog or something dealing with the same issues lol.

i think it would be funny if the movie was about antman dealing with being lesser known than the likes of iron man and captain america, like he feelis inadequate and what not, and his nemesis for the movie could be like leap frog or something dealing with the same issues lol.

oooh, I like that!!

Maybe now with Scott Pilgrim being out the ball will get rolling with Antman and we'll start getting news.

Edgar Wright has been working the promotion circuit very hard promoting Scott Pilgrim Vs The World. Everywhere he goes, the subject of Ant-Man, one of Marvel's next movies after Avengers, comes up. Wright is usually good as keeping the answers light and repeating the same mantra at every interview. Vanity Fair recently did a very nice interview with him focusing on Scott Pilgrim and video games but they were able to get a few new nuggets of info on Wright's future adaptation. Here is an excerpt from that interview:

Vanity Fair: You’ve been working on the comic book adaptation for a while. Is it ever actually going to happen?

Edgar Wright: I hope so, yeah. I’ve written a script, and once Scott Pilgrim is done I’m going to work on a second draft. It’s something I’ve been passionate about for awhile.

VF:Yeah, but ... Ant Man? Seriously? Isn’t he like Aqua Man with lower self-esteem?

EW:Not at all! I had a copy of the Tales to Astonish comic from the early 60s, which has his origin story. And I’ve been a fan ever since. I think it’s a really interesting high-concept idea.

VF:You’re an amazing director, Edgar, but I don’t know how this is going to work. I mean… Ant Man? The guy who becomes an ant? Isn’t that like trying to stop a mob boss with a box full of kittens?

EW:I know there’s a big stigma attached to it, mostly because every movie about shrinking has been about people in peril. I think it’d be great to do a shrinking film about a bad-ass secret agent.

VF:Okay, I see what you mean. I was thinking along the lines of Honey I Shrunk The Kids.

EW:Even something like The Incredible Shrinking Man, which is a fantastic film, is about a guy in trouble. But this is going to be nothing like that. It’s essentially a high-tech spy heist film with somebody with a very particular power.

VF:The awesome power ... of an ant!

EW:Trust me, it’ll be much cooler than you think.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansi...489&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I trust Wright to deliver an awesome movie. He has yet to disappoint me.

EW:I know there’s a big stigma attached to it, mostly because every movie about shrinking has been about people in peril. I think it’d be great to do a shrinking film about a bad-ass secret agent.

VF:Okay, I see what you mean. I was thinking along the lines of Honey I Shrunk The Kids.

EW:Even something like The Incredible Shrinking Man, which is a fantastic film, is about a guy in trouble. But this is going to be nothing like that. It’s essentially a high-tech spy heist film with somebody with a very particular power.

VF:The awesome power ... of an ant!

EW:Trust me, it’ll be much cooler than you think.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansi...489&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
That sounds very cool, and ideal for Marvel Studios movie-verse. I can't wait for this. I hope Pilgrim's poor opening box office doesn't deter Edgar Wright or the studio.

I think Wright genuinely gets Antman and will do him justice. Another thing you have to remember is that this is still a Marvel production and will fit the larger universe in some way. I'm looking forward to it.

I don't know what Marvel is doing with it. When is the release date?

Was Henry Prym ever a secret agent in the comics? I only know him as a scientist from some of the issuses I read the cartton episode of Avengers I watched.

lol they shouldnt call the movie Ant Man IMO. No one is going to randomly see a movie named Ant Man. Unless Scott Lang is Ant Man in it. If Hank Pym Ant Man is in it then they should name it "Pym" or something like that xD

Adrien Brody wouldnt mind being Ant-Man:
“I haven’t been involved in any of those discussions – I have mentioned it to my reps who have been kind of covert about their response as well, which is very strange to me. I said ‘Is there any validity to this, what is this?’ and they said ‘Well…it’s too early to say.’ It was very strange and I kind of dropped it at that…Not everything that is bandied around the Internet is factual, but sometimes there are elements that do stem from truth that people who are in the middle of it aren’t aware of either. We’ll see.”

“I’m enthusiastic about it. The key is to constantly push the boundaries and to find things that allow me to be creative and do things that, you know, I enjoy and grow from.”
Source: http://screenrant.com/adrien-brody-ant-man-kofi-82174/

I would prefer him as Dr. Strange, mostly because I dont care about Ant Man at all. But hes a good actor and wouldnt mind seeing him in the role

With the name "Ant-Man" they should gear this to be a PG movie with a romantically failed young professor Henry Pym trying to woo his socialite neighbor Janet van Dyne. It's a love story with bugs and bio guns.

^This. The only thing that the IP brings to the table that's not brought better by Iron Man or Hulk is the romantic angle. Ant-Man has glorious potential as a romantic action-comedy. This "secret agent heist" thing is silly, and does not show that Edgar Wright "gets" Ant-Man. Hank Pym certainly wasn't one in the comics, nor is Scott Lang more known to the general audience.

It might not be the comics but I sure as **** would rather see a shrinking spy heist flick than a PG romantic comedy, especially if they are ultimately going to push it as an Avengers tie in

I have a feeling that Edgar is probably going to move on from this, and do another British indie flick. Who knows, but just a feeling..

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing. I think his plans for Ant Man are not in alignment with Marvel's.

I like Wright, but I'm beginning to feel the same as you guys, and you know it might be a good thing.

He takes sooo long on a project, I think I'd be dead before it came out. He knew years ago he needed a re-write.

WTH, he can''t walk and chew gum at the same time? How do they say it in English?

"Mate, time to pinch one or get off the Johhny!"

I wouldn't mind if we lost Edgar Wright and we got Ant Man and Wasp in the Avengers movie instead. He's taking too long. Scott Pilgrim seems to have been in development and then production for years. It seems to be Wright who is preventing Hank and Jan from being in the Avengers movie. He could've revised his original vision from an origin story to something else (or had a flashback to the origin) and allowed it to fit in with the team movie instead of getting his movie done the way he wants it at all costs. Wasn't it Colin Powell who said: "A good idea today is better than a great idea tomorrow"? Even if he produces a stunning Ant Man flick in 5 or 10 years time, it's going to be out of alignment with the current Avengers-connected films, so it will be in vain and won't matter in the end.

i think the reason it takes so long for him, specifically scott pilgrim, was getting funding, plus the enormous amount trick editing he employs in his movies, which probably takes a while since he likes to do it himself.

I wouldn't mind if we lost Edgar Wright and we got Ant Man and Wasp in the Avengers movie instead. He's taking too long. Scott Pilgrim seems to have been in development and then production for years. It seems to be Wright who is preventing Hank and Jan from being in the Avengers movie. He could've revised his original vision from an origin story to something else (or had a flashback to the origin) and allowed it to fit in with the team movie instead of getting his movie done the way he wants it at all costs. Wasn't it Colin Powell who said: "A good idea today is better than a great idea tomorrow"? Even if he produces a stunning Ant Man flick in 5 or 10 years time, it's going to be out of alignment with the current Avengers-connected films, so it will be in vain and won't matter in the end.

Not preventing, prevented. The Avengers are already in pre-production and Ant-Man is not in it.

This thought process is what leads to bad movies.

As an actual fan of the character I am very wiling to wait several years to get an Ant Man film that's amazing instead of taking the character in a direction that is meant to tie into Avengers. This focus to tie things in instead of making a good film gave us Iron Man 2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back