Predators - Part 1

Other than being in the jungle and hunted by Predators, it was not that similar to Predator any more than Predator 2 was the same thing. Depending on your interpetation of the sequels, Predator 2 was more a remake of Predator in the city instead of a jungle and substituted cops for mercs.

Can't agree with that. Yes, they added new stuff, like the rag tag group of potential prey, more Predators and the feud, but there were too many scenes lifted directly from the first Predator. Like the running away, tripping and sliding down a slope and landing in the water. Mombasa staring at the trees and Royce asking him what he sees. The whole "Kill me now, I'm here" bit. And there was so much more of it.

Predators may have been a better film than both AVP Movies, but IMO it wasn't any less of a rehash. But people are obviously more forgiving as it's just nowhere near as terrible.

Yeah the template is in place, and there were many winks and nods to the original. To the point where it felt heavy handed.

For AvP and Predator, they really need to start and simply adapt some of the comics. Or start to take them into the past. I'd love to see the Predator being used as an origin for the tale of Beowulf. I just love the idea that someone mentioned.

I thought the concept of AvP wrote itself: Space Marines, Predators and Xenomorphs.... in space. Like the friggin' arcade game or the comics. But Fox just didn't 'get' it.

I'll admit that it's funny it's called Aliens vs Predators since Predators are aliens too. "Branding! You just don't understand the industry, son!" said the senior exec.

Predators did homages more so than rehashes but it did rely on them a few too many times, I won't deny that. I see it differently as it at least made an effort to not copy and paste as many scenes from previous movies as AVP: Requiem did.

Some of the scenes were so much a copy of a previous scene from another movie you could swear they really had just cut and pasted it into the movie and made some minor cosmetic changes to justify it.

That Predators was like Predator isn't the worst comparison. That Requiem was meant to be paying respects or homage to anything before it feels insulting.

I wish we would have gotten Wolf in a better AvP/Predator Movie. A character like him would be sweet, if we'd get a Predator vs Predator story line. I'd love him as the enforcer type Predator, who hunts outlaws that have no respect for the hunt.

I thought the concept of AvP wrote itself: Space Marines, Predators and Xenomorphs.... in space.

That's exactly what I thought too. The AvP2 game on PC had a great 3-way (humans vs Xenomorphs vs Preds) story that could've been adapted for a movie. It was even published by....Fox Interactive! How did the movie studio miss that?! :whatever:

I thought the same thing of the AVP novels but I think Fox has a standing policy now to not adapt anything good to film for the Alien and Predator franchises. The original Alien vs Predator game was also pretty damned good. Better than the past several movies.

I saw it in the theater and it still was so dark making out the action to tell what was going on was difficult.

The AvP2 game's story was also fantastic...I loved playing it as a kid and even boot it up once in a while, still holds ups.

For AvP and Predator, they really need to start and simply adapt some of the comics. Or start to take them into the past. I'd love to see the Predator being used as an origin for the tale of Beowulf. I just love the idea that someone mentioned.
I remember being part of hat conversation and us coming up with decent ideas if not good ones. It's make a really good movie to do something like that.

We think that we make our own monsters. Maybe we just didn't understand what some really were.

I remember being part of hat conversation and us coming up with decent ideas if not good ones. It's make a really good movie to do something like that.

We think that we make our own monsters. Maybe we just didn't understand what some really were.

Yeah, you and I were the ones who kept that conversation going. We had come up with some pretty cool ideas, using Predators as the basis for the origins of many monsters from a wide variety of cultures. Native American, Greek, Egyptian, etc.

Some monsters don't seem to fit physically. Sasquaches and yetis for example, are large hairy creatures that resemble bears. "So how could a Predator be the origin of the sasquatch/yeti when a Predator doesn't resemble a bear?" you ask. Well you have to remember that in many primitive cultures, such legends were passed down orally. It becomes a case of The Telephone Game, "Strong as a bear but walks like a man," becomes "Looks like a cross between a man and a bear."

AVP maybe because it was popcorn fun, but not AVP:R. Not to THAT level. When I saw it, I was thinking "This two franchise once had Cameron, Scott, and McTeiran. Now it's gone down to almost Direct to DVD level. In fact, AvP:R couldn't been a direct to DVD release and probably won't change a lot.

A direct to video release would've had John Hyams, or William Kaufman, or Scott Mann. I can quite confidently say, that a DTV release, would've completely blown Requiem as it is out of the water.

There's fun at a schlocky level, then there's just baffling awful. They couldn't even shoot it right with the lighting. Sharknado didn't even have that problem.

I think it was a colour correction issue, not so much a lighting one. When the Strause bros asked Fox for money to fix it up for the DVD release, Fox just rolled their eyes and made a jerking off motion.

The AvP2 game's story was also fantastic...I loved playing it as a kid and even boot it up once in a while, still holds ups.
I didn't even think about that. I played the multiplayer part for a few years before the hacks and cheats ruined it completely to being unplayable. The single player game story was decent. I'll have to reinstall it and do a play through again some time.

I think the (graphic) novel "Prey", if faithfully adapted, would make an excellent Alien vs Predator movie. The first AvP film took elements from "Prey", but strayed WAY too far from the source material to be any good.

That being said, I still think my prequel ideas are the way to go (especially the Predator vs Beowulf one, I mean that practically writes itself).

Yeah, you and I were the ones who kept that conversation going. We had come up with some pretty cool ideas, using Predators as the basis for the origins of many monsters from a wide variety of cultures. Native American, Greek, Egyptian, etc.

Some monsters don't seem to fit physically. Sasquaches and yetis for example, are large hairy creatures that resemble bears. "So how could a Predator be the origin of the sasquatch/yeti when a Predator doesn't resemble a bear?" you ask. Well you have to remember that in many primitive cultures, such legends were passed down orally. It becomes a case of The Telephone Game, "Strong as a bear but walks like a man," becomes "Looks like a cross between a man and a bear."
I shuld go dig that up, try writing something. I need a distraction from my usual fan stuff. A close friend passed very recently and she was a big Marvel fan.

I shuld go dig that up, try writing something. I need a distraction from my usual fan stuff. A close friend passed very recently and she was a big Marvel fan.

Let me know if you want/need a writing partner to collaborate with. I think if you and I were to put our heads together we could come up with some pretty kickass stories.

The conversation we had about using Predators as the basis of mythological creatures (sasquatch, minotaur, wyndigo, etc) begins around Page 25 on the previous thread, and ends at around Page 28.

Yea, I just managed to dig it up with a quick search in the last thread :up:

I'll shoot you a PM when I start brainstorm and such later today

If you come up with something, I'd be happy to read it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"