Battleship - Part 1

Peter Berg in Talks to Direct Battleship
Source: The Hollywood Reporter May 18, 2009

The Hollywood Reporter says that Peter Berg (Hancock) is in talks to direct a big-screen version of the Hasbro game "Battleship" for Universal Pictures.

Brothers Jon and Erich Hoeber have signed on to write the script.

The game consists of two players arranging a variety of ships on a grid. The game proceeds in alternating salvos as players try to "sink" the opposition's ships by guessing where they sit on the grid.

While plot details are being kept under wraps, the studio is looking to make an epic naval action adventure.

Well set in WWII then or something. Have a story about a US Battleship stranded in the Pacific with it's radar down or whatever. The Japanese Navy in pursuit. Something like that could be a really cool, tense thriller. More about the acting and tension, sense of claustrophobia and paranoia, than big explosions and CGI.

I thought that the movie was beyond awful. Everything that mattered was atrocious; the acting, the dialogue, the pacing, the plot...everything.

I really can't wait until Taylor K goes away because he is an awful actor.

It was bad. Really bad, but it wasn't as awful as I thought.

Aside from the top-notch CGI, Rihanna had more personality than everyone else combined (especially compared to Kitsch and Brooklyn Decker). She didn't have much to work with, but still... really not bad for an acting debut. I'd like to see her in a movie with a better-written role.

Well set in WWII then or something. Have a story about a US Battleship stranded in the Pacific with it's radar down or whatever. The Japanese Navy in pursuit. Something like that could be a really cool, tense thriller. More about the acting and tension, sense of claustrophobia and paranoia, than big explosions and CGI.

It absolutely should have been set in World War II.

I feel bad for Taylor (aside being moderately successful) but yeah, he's the leading man type. Even as Gambit, he didn't have the right amount of subtle charisma to pull it off. I can't blame the director for that, but Taylor didn't step up either.

I feel bad for Taylor (aside being moderately successful) but yeah, he's the leading man type. Even as Gambit, he didn't have the right amount of subtle charisma to pull it off. I can't blame the director for that, but Taylor didn't step up either.
He's going to get more roles of course but Hollywood is not going to completely ignore two mega bombs mere months apart. He is going to have to work hard to get another staring role in a big or mega budget action film. I mean at least Ryan Reynolds was the co-lead in a hit Denzel Washington movie, what does Taylor have going for him? Taylor will continue to get roles in films of course but the timing of these bombs is a huge problem for him. He is on thin ice and I'm sorry Oliver Stone fans but that director is irrelvent now so his (terrible looking faux cool) movie isn't going to help Kitsch.

Haven't seen either of Taylor's "movie bombs" yet (probably will when it comes out on DVD) but I think he definitely has the potential to become a great actor judging from his work on Friday Night Lights.

I haven't watched BATTLESHIP, but I watched AMERICAN WARSHIPS last night on SyFy.....Mario Van Peebles is the Captain of the Battleship USS IOWA that is attacked by aliens.....you get to hear Mario say "You're NOT going to sink my battleship!" I wonder if Liam gets to say it too?

I haven't watched BATTLESHIP, but I watched AMERICAN WARSHIPS last night on SyFy.....Mario Van Peebles is the Captain of the Battleship USS IOWA that is attacked by aliens.....you get to hear Mario say "You're NOT going to sink my battleship!" I wonder if Liam gets to say it too?
I should have watched that!:cmad:

From my perspective, and I guess from others too, there was way more than one person responsible for the circumstances that led to a bad movie like that being produced. A lot of liars and money grabbers behind the scenes.

fantastic movie actually...Hated the Dictator, but was thoroughly pleased with this

This movie sucks. Not even Rihanna can save this movie.
I fell asleep on parts of the movie (It was a midnight showing) and didn't regret it. The movie is officially on my ****list and I'm going to be talking about it one way or another for the next few months.

Just spoil one thing...

Does Liam Neeson die?

That's actually kind of shocking. Totally seems like it would happen. Well that gives me one reason to watch this film...on dvd.

So did Peter Berg actually direct this in the end? I really liked Hancock, and a lot of people hated that movie, so maybe I will like this.

I read that spoiler you guys were talking about, I'm not surprised that didn't happen, it doesn't seem like that kind of movie. It's more along the lines of a fun film, as opposed to something grim.

I didn't dislike Hancock either, it was a huge mess and not a "good" movie per say but it had some really interesting ideas, decent action scenes and a fun performance by Will Smith.

I did however hate Battleship because it featured none of those things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"