Episode 6: For All Time. Always. (Spoiler Discussion)

People are going to feel how they feel about Major's performance, but man did I get the biggest damn smile on my face when I saw him make a surprise appearance in this episode.

Now, maybe its partly because I'm still bummed about Lovecraft Country getting cancelled, but for me is very satisfying seeing this talented dude get a second chance at something big and these days there's nothing bigger than officially being apart of the MCU in what's likely going to be a very pivotal multiple film role going forward.

Also, since we got both Johnahan Majors and Wunmi Mosaku in the MCU now I hope one day Feige can find a spot somewhere for Jurnee Smollett in this universe so we can have a whole Lovecraft Country reunion, especially with her being as talented of an actress as she is.

Also, since we got both Johnahan Majors and Wunmi Mosaku in the MCU now I hope one day Feige can find a spot somewhere for Jurnee Smollett in this universe so we can have a whole Lovecraft Country reunion, especially with her being as talented of an actress as she is.
Jurnee Smollett is one of my top picks to play Sue Storm in the MCU. I think she would crush it.

She can't play Sue, she's gonna be Black Canary in the Birds of Prey and the Bad Title sequel. Any minute now.... any minute now.... :o

That would be amazing! :o

Seriously, I’d be up for her as Sue.

Ancient Egyptians were Arab though. The African (black) peoples were referred to by the Ancient Egyptians and other nations of that time as being people of Cush (Cush-ites have to spell it that way to bypass the sensor) among other names. Rewriting history to make the Ancient Egyptians black is cultural appropriation and along the lines of supporting a conspiracy theory. It is literally replacing the history and culture of a specific race of people with another.

The Royal families of Kush and Egypt often intermarried.

Kush also conquered and ruled Ancient Egypt for over a century.

Also, are you under the misconception that Spike Lee only makes "hood" movies? I suppose a handful of his movies do take place there (Do The Right Thing, Clockers, Chi-Raq come to mind) but implying he only makes "hood" movies based on that is like saying Spielberg only makes movies about adventuring archeologists.

I'm responsible for what I write, not what you understand.
But yeah, just a couple of months ago I was saying that "Black Klansman" should have won the Oscar, so obviously I'm a Spike Lee hater.

There's a slight possibility it could be out towards the end of next year, fall 2022 at the earliest. The only shows that are definitely confirmed for 2022 as of right now are Moon Knight, She-Hulk, Secret Invasion and the GotG Holiday Special. The latter I don't really count since it's a one-off special. If they're going with the plan of six series per year like they did this year, that leaves some room for Loki season two to be squeezed in to the schedule for next year, much like the Spider-Man movies and Ant-Man and the Wasp were for Phase 3 even though it wasn't the original plan.

Moon Knight
She Hulk
Secret Invasion
Armor Wars
Ironheart

So yeah that leaves a fall slot for Loki season 2, let’s hope!

I'm responsible for what I write, not what you understand.
But yeah, just a couple of months ago I was saying that "Black Klansman" should have won the Oscar, so obviously I'm a Spike Lee hater.
WknrTff.jpg

I get that there's multiple variants of Kang but at the end of the day you only get one chance at an introduction and that was just.....as generic as you could get. I would have preferred if it was a Loki variant pulling the strings.

I mean camp and eccentric is how I would have described Majors here, and nothing you would have seen before a million times over in a supervillain in a CW show alone never mind something of this scale. Seriously, the second the doors opened I knew something was wrong.

Kang reminds me -- and I don't mean because of any superficial physical resemblance, but because of their strong similarity in mannerisms -- of an evil version of Chester P. Runk from Flash.

Only 50% are evil. This Kang was a good guy, with good intent.

I wouldn't call this Kang "good." Probably closer to neutral than good. Much like Thanos, he is the guy getting his hands dirty for the greater good. Even he himself said that he and the Lokis were "villains" and that shows he doesn't consider himself a hero. He flat out says he had done awful things. I think saying he is more benevolent than the more proper Kang the Conqueror variant we will see later, sure. But calling him a good guy I think is a bridge too far

I get that there's multiple variants of Kang but at the end of the day you only get one chance at an introduction and that was just.....as generic as you could get. I would have preferred if it was a Loki variant pulling the strings.

I mean camp and eccentric is how I would have described Majors here, and nothing you would have seen before a million times over in a supervillain in a CW show alone never mind something of this scale. Seriously, the second the doors opened I knew something was wrong.

For me, I was fully engaged by his performance. He was creepy, unpredictable, eccentric.. and I thought fairly complex, honestly. He carried the episode… easily the best part about it.

I can appreciate what you’re saying though that it was fairly generic. We have seen characters like this before: Q, Willy Wonka, the architect, etc. these characters with sort of a God complex. This one was no different.

He did that part really well though. The performance felt adequately deep and complex. I feel like it was several levels above a CW performance… several degrees more complex. You act like this was lazy or obvious. But it’s possible to do an easy thing really well, and I think that happened here. He wasn’t a cackling menace, covered in black mascara. His moves were exaggerated but not cartoonish. Calling his performance ‘camp’ seems unfair.

Jonathan Majors did a great job in his portrayal of this version of Kang. I loved how he displayed and talked about his origin and purpose. Can't wait to see the "true" Kang. I also loved the religious undertones. The beautiful branching of the multiverse.Loki seeing the statue of Kang was like Taylor seeing the Statue of Liberty on the beach in Planet of The Apes. Yes there was a ton of exposition and the after credits scene was like well ok..... but at least with this and Falcon & The Winter Soldier you felt there was great movement in the Marvel Universe. WandaVision had its moments but not like the 2 aforementioned shows.

People are going to feel how they feel about Major's performance, but man did I get the biggest damn smile on my face when I saw him make a surprise appearance in this episode.

Now, maybe its partly because I'm still bummed about Lovecraft Country getting cancelled, but for me is very satisfying seeing this talented dude get a second chance at something big and these days there's nothing bigger than officially being apart of the MCU in what's likely going to be a very pivotal multiple film role going forward.

Agreed :up:

I didn’t know Lovecraft Country had been cancelled though. :csad:

I went into this with low expectations and still came out deeply underwhelmed. This finale was almost entirely exposition. Literally a guy behind a desk telling us why the show exists. The implications set up at the end of the show are more interesting than anything that happened throughout the runtime of the show itself.

Have to agree with this. This was a dull episode for me and the worst of the 3 Disney+ season finales. I was beginning to fall asleep during all that talking and thought that Majors was overacting and hamming it up.

People have compared him to Dr Evil from Austin Powers but with all his long winded explanations his name should be Basil Exposition.

c1f29f61-7b6f-428d-8875-91410bf48b1d_text.gif

Last edited:

I'm not sure you understood what they were going for. They weren't introducing the villain there, they were setting up the villain there.

The version we saw was basically setting the rules/boundaries for the next phase and then giving us a sense of the TRUE threat. He was a harbinger.

I kinda loved the finale, mainly because this show is the closest we might ever get to a (good) adaptation of The Dark Tower, with Kang subbing in for Flagg and/or the Crimson King. I don’t really know much about Marvel’s multiverse storylines so I don’t know if the similarities between this show and Stephen King’s epic are purely coincidental or if there was some Roland Deschain influence on the show. Either way it was great. Kudos to Majors and I can’t wait to see the next version of his character.

I wouldn't call this Kang "good." Probably closer to neutral than good. Much like Thanos, he is the guy getting his hands dirty for the greater good. Even he himself said that he and the Lokis were "villains" and that shows he doesn't consider himself a hero. He flat out says he had done awful things. I think saying he is more benevolent than the more proper Kang the Conqueror variant we will see later, sure. But calling him a good guy I think is a bridge too far

Yes. He also compared himself to a dictator, and acknowledged the immorality of what the TVA do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"