Eternals Eternals at the Box Office

Other studios have been trying for years to copy the MCU formula "for doing something right" and it was unsuccessful pretty much every time. I don't want more Marvel copycats and I certainly don't think the vast majority of blockbusters should be superhero films and shared universes. Also the best thing for both the industry and the audience overall is variety and healthy competition, not business monopoly. Good for Disney for achieving what they did all those years, I'm just saying what I want to see from the box office. And to be frank, I'm on the opposite here. With the exception of No Way Home I find little to no interest on the rest of their entries this year.

Other studios have been trying for years to copy the MCU formula "for doing something right" and it was unsuccessful pretty much every time. I don't want more Marvel copycats and I certainly don't think the vast majority of blockbusters should be superhero films and shared universes. Also the best thing for both the industry and the audience overall is variety and healthy competition, not business monopoly. Good for Disney for achieving what they did all those years, I'm just saying what I want to see from the box office. And to be frank, I'm on the opposite here. With the exception of No Way Home I find little to no interest on the rest of their entries this year.

I hear ya, but I wasn't talking about how to make movies. I was mainly pointing out that Warner is making a really poor business decision WRT getting a return on the money they spend by streaming same day without a premium charge. That being said, even from a movie making standpoint, they are doing something right. You can say, and you-know-who has said, that MCU isn't "real" movie making, but they do appeal to a large swath of people. There are going to be successful movies always and I think you and I agree that we want more and we want the movie theater business to thrive. The way they are releasing Dune is not a recipe for success and I think that's a shame.

Oh, WB jumped the gun and messed up big time with their idiotic strategy, no question about that. They've lost so much money and they still insist on it. Personally I mostly root for movies that are being released exclusively for cinemas, lately, but I also want some sort of originality as well. For me, and by concept only, WB had the most interesting slate, despite of how their films might or might not have turned out. Also Disney are not the only ones who are releasing films with theatrical windows.

Oh, WB jumped the gun and messed up big time with their idiotic strategy, no question about that. They've lost so much money and they still insist on it. Personally I mostly root for movies that are being released exclusively for cinemas, lately, but I also want some sort of originality as well. For me, and by concept only, WB had the most interesting slate, despite of how their films might or might not have turned out. Also Disney are not the only ones who are releasing films with theatrical windows.
I think what Disney is doing (Shang Chi, Eternals, NWH) is seeing how simultaneous streaming and exclusive theatrical releases play out before committing to either. This, IMO, is dangerous because it could adversely affect movie theaters and I want them to thrive. Theaters already have enough challenges as it is.

Maybe the Mouse will buy up a bunch of theaters so they own everything......:sigh:

This is exactly how I feel. Any studio releasing films theatrically, I'm rooting for. Not just the big superhero films.

I also agree that Warner Bros. has the most interesting slate of films. They usually do. Best major studio in the business in my books. The HBO Max decision is just a travesty and they've pissed off A LOT of people.

Did WB, actually think that because people were stuck at home,
it represented a chance for them to make a killing on streaming?

Was this their way of competing with Netflix?
I would Love to have been a fly on the wall for those meetings.

Did WB, actually think that because people were stuck at home,
it represented a chance for them to make a killing on streaming?

Was this their way of competing with Netflix?
I would Love to have been a fly on the wall for those meetings.

They don't charge a premium to see Dune. That doesn't exactly sound like a way to increase revenue, but it should be effective at keeping Dune's box office numbers down in the US/Canada. Essentially, they are shooting for a flood of new customers at the expense of box office.

BW has gotten more than 125M from D+ premium charges; which goes directly to them plus 370M in box office revenue. This is worrisome to me because it may bode ill for Disney releasing solo theatrical runs. That D+ number represents about an extra 250M in domestic box office sales.

Somebody please tell me I'm worrying for nothing.....and why.

I know will always watch in theaters, I just like the experience way more. I watch tv shows at home but have a hard time caring to watch a movie. An if a movie I actually really wanted to see decided to only do it streaming I likely would just not see it or watch through other means. The movie going experience is just something I grew up with and always enjoyed, I am sure people growing up now will prefer the home experience. Once they are old enough to be the main focus and have their own funds I could see movie theaters being limited maybe only big movies or festival things with awards.

I know will always watch in theaters, I just like the experience way more. I watch tv shows at home but have a hard time caring to watch a movie. An if a movie I actually really wanted to see decided to only do it streaming I likely would just not see it or watch through other means. The movie going experience is just something I grew up with and always enjoyed, I am sure people growing up now will prefer the home experience. Once they are old enough to be the main focus and have their own funds I could see movie theaters being limited maybe only big movies or festival things with awards.

That would suck.

I have a home theater in my garage with a 120" screen, surround sound, and a DLP projector that has a lot of pop, but, even so, it's still not the same. Every time I go to an IMAX or Cinemark XD theater, I find myself thinking "I want one of these in my garage". I just need a bigger garage I guess. LOL.

That would suck.

I have a home theater in my garage with a 120" screen, surround sound, and a DLP projector that has a lot of pop, but, even so, it's still not the same. Every time I go to an IMAX or Cinemark XD theater, I find myself thinking "I want one of these in my garage". I just need a bigger garage I guess. LOL.
You would need more than a garage for that.:funny: Probably a big studio, that is usually used for indoor filming and photoshoots.

You would need more than a garage for that.:funny: Probably a big studio, that is usually used for indoor filming and photoshoots.

I'd also need a LOT more money than I have.

Opening Weekends for the MCU:
Black Widow - 80M *
Shang-Chi - 75M

Eternals is still an unknown quantity. It doesn’t looks as fun or even as recognizable as Shang-Chi. Eternals seems more like a high-brow concept, with some recognizable actors outside of the MCU and a team angle which always seems to add bonus points.

At this point I think it will probably score between 70-80M OW.

Opening Weekends for the MCU:
Black Widow - 80M *
Shang-Chi - 75M

Eternals is still an unknown quantity. It doesn’t looks as fun or even as recognizable as Shang-Chi. Eternals seems more like a high-brow concept, with some recognizable actors outside of the MCU and a team angle which always seems to add bonus points.

At this point I think it will probably score between 70-80M OW.

That seems like a reasonable and successful opening weekend.

It may surprise. Even my bf who can care less about any CBM asked about this, because he saw a clip online with Angelina looking cool and fierce in it.

One thing they were talking about on BOT(BOX OFFICE THEORY) is the tv spots having very good views and likes. This was also a good indicator that Shang-Chi was going to breakout. Here are some quotes from them:

"Like Shang Chi, Eternals spots are getting excellent views.
The first spot surpass 2M on YouTube and the second spot is coming to 2M too. Both have very good likes.
I hope they release an 90 seconds new teaser along with presales start."

"sec tv spot to hit 2 mill views, very very good on mon we will probably get some kind of a trailer to drop with the presales"

"2 million and 75k likes. Don't think any 30-second spot for SC reached that. "Protect" getting there is whatever since it was the first marketing for the film in months, so would be inflated on that alone. But I am impressed that "Team" managed to get there as well. It started off much lower than "Protect" did."

"83k and 2.8 million views. Goddamn. This is reaching Super Bowl TV spot levels. It has already beaten Black Widow's big game spot. Next target will be CM's Super Bowl spot which was 3.8m views and 95k likes, don't think it will get there but really impressive to even get close."

It may surprise. Even my bf who can care less about any CBM asked about this, because he saw a clip online with Angelina looking cool and fierce in it.
She is fierce!

After boX office resurgence in the last several weeks. I'm not worried anymore about this hitting the 100 million mark in North America. I just hope the numbers are respectable to greenlit a sequel.

Box Office Pro is estimating between 82-102M OW. It's still 2 weeks out and that could change, but that's looking very, very solid to spectacular. It's more than I originally thought. I was about 7M lower.

I'm hoping this opens at 100m or more.

Yeah I think regardless of the reviews, it is going to open well. The second weekend drop is more of a question.

Few months ago, when Covid surge happened because of the Delta variant, I was just hoping it crosses the 100 million mark in North America. But now that isn't even a question. I just hope the numbers are enough for the Disney eXecutives to greenlit E2: Eternals United.

They don't charge a premium to see Dune. That doesn't exactly sound like a way to increase revenue, but it should be effective at keeping Dune's box office numbers down in the US/Canada. Essentially, they are shooting for a flood of new customers at the expense of box office.

BW has gotten more than 125M from D+ premium charges; which goes directly to them plus 370M in box office revenue. This is worrisome to me because it may bode ill for Disney releasing solo theatrical runs. That D+ number represents about an extra 250M in domestic box office sales.

Somebody please tell me I'm worrying for nothing.....and why.

Not all of that premium charge goes directly to them. This has been disproven.

In this day and age, $70 million would not be bad at all for an opening weekend, especially with the reviews the film has been getting.

Later weekends however would be key.

Really hoping we see good numbers regardless of early reviews.

Really seems this film is going to be more heavily frontloaded than a lot of other MCU films. I'll be curious as to what the CinemaScore ends up being from OW.

Box Office Pro is estimating between 82-102M OW. It's still 2 weeks out and that could change, but that's looking very, very solid to spectacular. It's more than I originally thought. I was about 7M lower.
I don't see that happening at all. But we will see.............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"