Sequels Evan Peters Joins X-Men: DOFP as Quicksilver

I'd say that a lot of times fanboys are their own worst enemies. Lol. Seriously though , I can understand a lot of the fan backlash , but from the looks of it , Whedon and Marvel are gonna move full steam ahead anyway and will have the resources to promote and exploit the twins far more then XMDOFP will I suspect.

I also tend to suspect the whole Fox moving forward with QS had more to do with them realizing that they can't just sit on these characters anymore when there's potential cash to be made. Didn't they lose the rights to some Marvel characters a couple weeks back?

Fox lost the rights to Daredevil/Elektra, and that's it as far as I know. Sony lost the rights to Ghost Rider and Punisher.

How have Ghost Rider and Punisher come back to Marvel already? I know they have, but that always confused me. It definitely wasn't the whole "5 year" rule. Is there a stipulation that movies have to gross a certain amount? I know Punisher: War Zone made like no money at all (I paid for a ticket, so I helped, at least).

Simple: the studios in question gave them back voluntarily. I imagine in both cases the studio decided that the best value they could get for the IP was "good will from Marvel/Disney."

If Fox uses Quicksilver and it could be construed in anway that the way they treated the character could harm the potential market value of Avengers 2, Marvel could sue.

Honestly, the could sue because they felt like it and keep it tied up in court, but that's not going to happen. The reality is that Marvel will work with Fox on these properties, and I actually think the joint use of the character could be used to promote Avengers. They could honestly cast the same actor in Avengers, as well as DoFP. They just can't have any direct reference to the other film.

No they couldn't they bought the character when they bought the rights to the franchize and they are legally allowed to do as they will with him.

Fox lost the rights to Daredevil/Elektra, and that's it as far as I know. Sony lost the rights to Ghost Rider and Punisher.

Ghost Rider 2 came out last year, Punisher had a short film made in 2011, they'll be with sony for awhile but I don't think they're in a financial position to take any risks with characters like that at the moment.

sometimes its a question of "is it worth it to invest all this money in an IP that failed already at the box office and with critics" or "is the chance of this being a success greater than the chance of it bombing again"

if it's gonna cost too much to make a failed IP successful again/revitalise an IP they'd just as sooner say "let it lapse, we'll find something else"

seems to be the case for GR and Punisher (Sony failed twice, Lionsgate/Artistan failed twice)

Ghost Rider 2 came out last year, Punisher had a short film made in 2011, they'll be with sony for awhile but I don't think they're in a financial position to take any risks with characters like that at the moment.

Doesn't matter; Feige confirmed specifically that Ghost Rider and Punisher are now back in the Marvel Studios arsenal in an interview last month. Along with Elektra and Daredevil.

That Punisher short film was not produced by any studio. It was a Thomas Jane initiative because he loves the character. The rights to both characters now reside with Marvel Studios.

Okay, one, Sony never *had* Punisher. New Line did. . . and they voluntarily let it revert years ago.

Second, Ghost Rider 2 did come out last year, yes. . . and nonetheless, Sony let it revert voluntarily recently.

Artisan had Punisher, then Lionsgate bought Artisan, so then Lionsgate had Punisher. New Line NEVER had the Punisher. New Line had Blade

Artisan had Punisher, then Lionsgate bought Artisan, so then Lionsgate had Punisher. New Line NEVER had the Punisher. New Line had Blade

Dang, I always get New Line and Lionsgate mixed up. But either way, *Sony* certainly never had the rights.

No Marvel has the rights back to both. My guess is that ghost rider was such a financial disaster, that they have no plans for another film.

The punisher short film was an unlicensed film made by Thomas Jayne, not authorized by Sony or Marvel.

http://io9.com/marvels-got-the-blade-punisher-and-ghost-rider-movie-493113182

No they couldn't they bought the character when they bought the rights to the franchize and they are legally allowed to do as they will with him.

No, they have a binding contract with Marvel. Marvel can Sue for breach of contract if they wanted to. Marvel sued Sony over Spider-man after the first movie came out over breach of contract, because Sony was selling Spider-man merchandise without authorization from marvel.

No Marvel has the rights back to both. My guess is that ghost rider was such a financial disaster, that they have no plans for another film.

The punisher short film was an unlicensed film made by Thomas Jayne, not authorized by Sony or Marvel.

http://io9.com/marvels-got-the-blade-punisher-and-ghost-rider-movie-493113182

I don't know. Spirit of Vengeance made only 132M, but its budget was 57M. I suspect it actually did make a profit, Sony just decided that it had no future.

And really, why do people keep bringing up Sony with regard to Punisher? Sony never had anything to do with Punisher.

I don't know. Spirit of Vengeance made only 132M, but its budget was 57M. I suspect it actually did make a profit, Sony just decided that it had no future.

And really, why do people keep bringing up Sony with regard to Punisher? Sony never had anything to do with Punisher.

It was produced by Artisan Entertainment/Columbia Tristar which is a subsidiary of Sony Pictures. Sony owned the film rights as the parent company. They also at one time owned the rights to Doctor Strange, which is why they were allowed to reference the character in Spider-man 2.

I'm looking up info about Punisher 2004, and I find no reference to Columbia Tristar at all, as either producer or distributor.

Sony most definitely didn't have Punisher rights when Spider-Man 2 came out. There IS a Punisher cameo in the movie... sorta kinda. Raimi wanted a cameo, so Thomas Jane's stunt double has a very brief cameo towards the end of the film. An actual cameo wasn't possible due to legal rights, hence the stunt double having a "sorta kinda" cameo. I'm thinking that story is why people get confused on the Punisher rights having been with Sony. They hear about the cameo and don't realize it was unofficial.

I wouldn't call a blurry background extra who kinda looks like Punisher that was only visible for like 2 seconds a cameo

never heard the full story that it was his stunt double, always thought it was just speculation, but, still

I wouldn't call a blurry background extra who kinda looks like Punisher that was only visible for like 2 seconds a cameo

never heard the full story that it was his stunt double, always thought it was just speculation, but, still

I agree that's an EXTREME stretch to call that a "cameo".

Uhhhh chief, they're with Marvel now. It made news recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"