Evan Peters Joins X-Men: DOFP as Quicksilver

Discussion in 'The Avengers Sequels' started by enygma, May 23, 2013.

1. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

Fox lost the rights to Daredevil/Elektra, and that's it as far as I know. Sony lost the rights to Ghost Rider and Punisher.

2. Donnie Darko

Donnie Darko Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

How have Ghost Rider and Punisher come back to Marvel already? I know they have, but that always confused me. It definitely wasn't the whole "5 year" rule. Is there a stipulation that movies have to gross a certain amount? I know Punisher: War Zone made like no money at all (I paid for a ticket, so I helped, at least).

3. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Simple: the studios in question gave them back voluntarily. I imagine in both cases the studio decided that the best value they could get for the IP was "good will from Marvel/Disney."

4. BenKenobi

BenKenobi Well-Known Member

No they couldn't they bought the character when they bought the rights to the franchize and they are legally allowed to do as they will with him.

5. BenKenobi

BenKenobi Well-Known Member

Ghost Rider 2 came out last year, Punisher had a short film made in 2011, they'll be with sony for awhile but I don't think they're in a financial position to take any risks with characters like that at the moment.

6. Steve Holt

Steve Holt STEVE HOLT!

sometimes its a question of "is it worth it to invest all this money in an IP that failed already at the box office and with critics" or "is the chance of this being a success greater than the chance of it bombing again"

if it's gonna cost too much to make a failed IP successful again/revitalise an IP they'd just as sooner say "let it lapse, we'll find something else"

seems to be the case for GR and Punisher (Sony failed twice, Lionsgate/Artistan failed twice)

7. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

Doesn't matter; Feige confirmed specifically that Ghost Rider and Punisher are now back in the Marvel Studios arsenal in an interview last month. Along with Elektra and Daredevil.

8. OB12

OB12 Well-Known Member

That Punisher short film was not produced by any studio. It was a Thomas Jane initiative because he loves the character. The rights to both characters now reside with Marvel Studios.

9. metaphysician

Okay, one, Sony never *had* Punisher. New Line did. . . and they voluntarily let it revert years ago.

Second, Ghost Rider 2 did come out last year, yes. . . and nonetheless, Sony let it revert voluntarily recently.

10. Steve Holt

Steve Holt STEVE HOLT!

Artisan had Punisher, then Lionsgate bought Artisan, so then Lionsgate had Punisher. New Line NEVER had the Punisher. New Line had Blade

11. metaphysician

Dang, I always get New Line and Lionsgate mixed up. But either way, *Sony* certainly never had the rights.

12. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Well-Known Member

13. Tony Stark

No Marvel has the rights back to both. My guess is that ghost rider was such a financial disaster, that they have no plans for another film.

The punisher short film was an unlicensed film made by Thomas Jayne, not authorized by Sony or Marvel.

http://io9.com/marvels-got-the-blade-punisher-and-ghost-rider-movie-493113182

14. Tony Stark

No, they have a binding contract with Marvel. Marvel can Sue for breach of contract if they wanted to. Marvel sued Sony over Spider-man after the first movie came out over breach of contract, because Sony was selling Spider-man merchandise without authorization from marvel.

15. metaphysician

I don't know. Spirit of Vengeance made only 132M, but its budget was 57M. I suspect it actually did make a profit, Sony just decided that it had no future.

And really, why do people keep bringing up Sony with regard to Punisher? Sony never had anything to do with Punisher.

16. Tony Stark

It was produced by Artisan Entertainment/Columbia Tristar which is a subsidiary of Sony Pictures. Sony owned the film rights as the parent company. They also at one time owned the rights to Doctor Strange, which is why they were allowed to reference the character in Spider-man 2.

17. metaphysician

I'm looking up info about Punisher 2004, and I find no reference to Columbia Tristar at all, as either producer or distributor.

18. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

Sony most definitely didn't have Punisher rights when Spider-Man 2 came out. There IS a Punisher cameo in the movie... sorta kinda. Raimi wanted a cameo, so Thomas Jane's stunt double has a very brief cameo towards the end of the film. An actual cameo wasn't possible due to legal rights, hence the stunt double having a "sorta kinda" cameo. I'm thinking that story is why people get confused on the Punisher rights having been with Sony. They hear about the cameo and don't realize it was unofficial.

19. Spider-Fan83

Spider-Fan83 with great power...

I wouldn't call a blurry background extra who kinda looks like Punisher that was only visible for like 2 seconds a cameo

never heard the full story that it was his stunt double, always thought it was just speculation, but, still

20. Aztec

Aztec Well-Known Member

I agree that's an EXTREME stretch to call that a "cameo".

21. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Well-Known Member

Uhhhh chief, they're with Marvel now. It made news recently.