Exclusive Interview with Don Payne!

Having seen the film, is there a particular scene or sequence that you're most proud of?

I knew I liked Payne.......:cwink:

I think his writing is the main reason this film is such a massive improvement over the first. I'm not surprised to learn that so many of my favorite character moments came from him.

Let's just keep our fingers crossed that they ask him to write the script for
FF3: Beware The Hidden Land or FF3: Into The Negative Zone or whatever it's called... :cwink:

If they do Inhumans I'd like to see something simple like this:

Fantastic Four: Inhumanity

:up:

The Puppet Master nod would have been great, I wish that hadn't been cut.

Fantastic Four and the Great Refuge

I was wondering where this lameness was coming from, so I'm relieved to learn it's not from him. I'm willing to bet it's from Mark Frost--that's the kind of crap that was found in the 1st film.

"Let's go for a spin" is from the Marco Polo Playbook. :o

No kidding.
I'm glad to learn Payne wasn't responsible for moments like that.

I have a feeling if they'd shot his script as written, I would have enjoyed this film a lot more.

No kidding.
I'm glad to learn Payne wasn't responsible for moments like that.

I have a feeling if they'd shot his script as written, I would have enjoyed this film a lot more.

Well, that underscores the biggest problem this franchise has faced: MEDDLING. Fox's people love to meddle in stuff. They don't have faith/trust in the people they hire (directors, writers, etc.,) OR the source material. Everyone thinks they know better than the Stan Lees, Jack Kirbys, etc.

So as a result, they are constantly trying to make what is well enough MORE "hip" or increase its "cool factor" to dumb it down for the very people who expect more.

It's a stupid-ass cycle.

Well, that underscores the biggest problem this franchise has faced: MEDDLING. Fox's people love to meddle in stuff. They don't have faith/trust in the people they hire (directors, writers, etc.,) OR the source material. Everyone thinks they know better than the Stan Lees, Jack Kirbys, etc.

So as a result, they are constantly trying to make what is well enough MORE "hip" or increase its "cool factor" to dumb it down for the very people who expect more.

It's a stupid-ass cycle.

We are in complete agreement there.

As much as I blasted Fox in my review, I was so holding back.

It's a stupid-ass cycle.

I don't think they did anything to this installment that really hurt it. I mean, they agreed that the Silver Surfer should be in it as a focus, obviously hoping that it would lead into a spinoff. And that particular "meddling" ended up being nothing but good.

Nice thread. I enjoyed hearing from this guy. I too would love to see the Skrulls in the next one. Think of the story potential. Think of the visual appeal on the big screen. This could be very good.

Malus, I dig your Groucho avatar. Maybe I need to start highlighting and rotating heroes of mine instead of holding onto a character that no one but me remembers or cares for. Ah well, I care for him. That's part of what it's about, eh? As long as I care.

Nice thread. I enjoyed hearing from this guy. I too would love to see the Skrulls in the next one. Think of the story potential. Think of the visual appeal on the big screen. This could be very good.

Malus, I dig your Groucho avatar. Maybe I need to start highlighting and rotating heroes of mine instead of holding onto a character that no one but me remembers or cares for. Ah well, I care for him. That's part of what it's about, eh? As long as I care.

I don't know, man. That's kinda like your logo; I really dig it.

I agree the Skrulls would be a great choice for the next film.
The Mole Man would be a good choice, too and would further establish the team as explorers and adventurers.

I don't know, man. That's kinda like your logo; I really dig it.

The Mole Man would be a good choice, too and would further establish the team as explorers and adventurers.

if a 3rd one gets made, I would prefer the Inhumans, and a darker and much more mature outing.

Well, mattc, this was very skilful timing, releasing this interview just as we were starting to lay into Don's credentials and suitability for the FF! :cwink:

Having said that, he comes across well in the interview. It's sad that some of the worst stuff (Thing's burping, the 'spin' line) was added later and is nothing to do with him. I also wasn't keen on Sue's disguising her zit (it might have showed a subtle use of powers and we all know about blemishes popping up when you least need them!)... but it seemed a bit light and fluffy (much like Storm and Beast commenting on each other's hairdo in X3).

As for the next movie, it has to be Inhumans (possibly with Franklin or Annihilus tied in). Whichever villains or other characters are chosen have to relate to the thematics of the FF. Moleman has nothing to offer, he just burrows in the ground; Puppet Master could come off as a silly voodoo thing; Skrulls are not a good idea.

Inhumans work because they are the opposite of FF - Inhumans choose to be mutated (by the Terrigen Mists) and embrace their unique difference, they choose to live in secrecy away from the spotlight; whereas FF were changed by accident (and are still dealing with that) and at least one of the FF (Torch) revels in fame or celebrity, while the others have to try to deal with the spotlight being shone on them all the timet. Inhumans provide a contrast to the FF which could see Torch maturing (and falling in love with Crystal) and the others learning lessons too. They just might have to miss out Lockjaw, who is essentially a giant bulldog with a TV aerial on his head (and would only lead to critics hating it, especially if we had Torch jokes 'Say Lockjaw, can you get the Discovery channel on that.' or 'Can you retune so we can get a traffic update.')

Well, mattc, this was very skilful timing, releasing this interview just as we were starting to lay into Don's credentials and suitability for the FF! :cwink:

lol Well I haven't actually read any of that stuff, as I have been on the board very little this past week, so the timing is coincidental. I have been busy trying to find a new flat to move into, which is why it wasn't up sooner to the movies release date.

Having said that, he comes across well in the interview. It's sad that some of the worst stuff (Thing's burping, the 'spin' line) was added later and is nothing to do with him. I also wasn't keen on Sue's disguising her zit (it might have showed a subtle use of powers and we all know about blemishes popping up when you least need them!)... but it seemed a bit light and fluffy (much like Storm and Beast commenting on each other's hairdo in X3).

As for the next movie, it has to be Inhumans (possibly with Franklin or Annihilus tied in). Whichever villains or other characters are chosen have to relate to the thematics of the FF. Moleman has nothing to offer, he just burrows in the ground; Puppet Master could come off as a silly voodoo thing; Skrulls are not a good idea.

Inhumans work because they are the opposite of FF - Inhumans choose to be mutated (by the Terrigen Mists) and embrace their unique difference, they choose to live in secrecy away from the spotlight; whereas FF were changed by accident (and are still dealing with that) and at least one of the FF (Torch) revels in fame or celebrity, while the others have to try to deal with the spotlight being shone on them all the timet. Inhumans provide a contrast to the FF which could see Torch maturing (and falling in love with Crystal) and the others learning lessons too. They just might have to miss out Lockjaw, who is essentially a giant bulldog with a TV aerial on his head (and would only lead to critics hating it, especially if we had Torch jokes 'Say Lockjaw, can you get the Discovery channel on that.' or 'Can you retune so we can get a traffic update.')

It's called some have lives to live other than these forums.......:cwink:

I don't mind the "spin" line TOO much. At least it's his only one-liner. I also don't mind "my bad." The burping was stupid as hell though. I never understood what was supposed to be going on between him and that guy with the white man's fro. Why did he give the fro-man that weird look towards the start of the scene?

I loved the zit gag however. When I heard about it before the movie, I cringed. It sounded inane because how could she possibly make a zit disappear with a field unless she keeps the field up for hours on end? Seeing it in the movie, of course, she actually pointed this out (GREAT line delivery), and I cracked up and applauded. :)

The Mole Man would be cool but I still have a bad taste in my mouth for the use of the Underworlder from Incredibles. Meaning, I think we would only be reminded of what the FF movie isn't.

I would still love for Brad Bird to give an interview and site influences and give credit where credit is due. I mean he freakin' used the entire "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" theme song in the score (and I know that was on his behest). That wasn't even re-arranged. It was the exact song! Blatant rip-offs- almost everything he did. I mean, good story teller but he's telling alot of other people's stories.

And I think that's called being condescending. So please don't. :oldrazz:

Well if thats the case, then that would be condescending to myself now wouldn't it....

I guess I could say your comment to Matt was rude, making it look like he had an agenda, which he does not. But I won't go their either....:cwink:

Well if thats the case, then that would be condescending to myself now wouldn't it....

I guess I could say your comment to Matt was rude, making it look like he had an agenda, which he does not. But I won't go their either....:cwink:

Agendas on the SHH? People motivated by politics or spin? Nah, never heard of it! :ninja:

Agendas on the SHH? People motivated by politics or spin? Nah, never heard of it! :ninja:

Then let me put it this way..........Matt doesn't work that way........

Excuse my harshness.....I tend to get alittle protective.....:word:

Then let me put it this way..........Matt doesn't work that way........

Excuse my harshness.....I tend to get alittle protective.....:word:

I see... Well, I wasn't being rude as such, so i don't think he needs protecting.

And, Albafan, you are talking to someone who met, chatted and had pictures with the divine Ms Alba herself. :hyper:

I see... Well, I wasn't being rude as such, so i don't think he needs protecting.

And, Albafan, you are talking to someone who met, chatted and had pictures with the divine Ms Alba herself. :hyper:

Well then I apologize, that was the perception I came away with....

ok?????? soooooo???? ok.

Who hasn't? :cwink:

Met her some years ago at a con, during the run of "Dark Angel."
we talked about her stint on "Flipper."

As I recall, she said the dolphin used (or one of several used?) could be aggressive.

This of course has nothing to do with this thread, but since we mention Flipper and Dark Angel, other shows, etc.....Does anyone think Underdog is going to blow besides me? The trailer I've seen seems such a crock. You can't have Underdog without Wally Cox (or an equivalent type personality). Is that scratchy voiced, had one too many puffs, guy from Earl the go to guy now on all voice over roles?

This of course has nothing to do with this thread, but since we mention Flipper and Dark Angel, other shows, etc.....Does anyone think Underdog is going to blow besides me? The trailer I've seen seems such a crock. You can't have Underdog without Wally Cox (or an equivalent type personality). Is that scratchy voiced, had one too many puffs, guy from Earl the go to guy now on all voice over roles?

Underdog looks awful simply because it has nothing to do with Underdog. Underdog is not a dog in a man's world who is secretly able to talk. He's a dog in a world of anthropomorphic animals. Because, you know... that's why it was a cartoon.

Jason Lee's voice wasn't scratchy until he had his throat illness. Sadly, it hasn't really been the same since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"