Fabian Wagner is the cinematographer.

I love my green screen comics-come-to-life visuals, bring them on.

In the Justice League BTS video. Look at the screens. Maybe 2.35:1 after all?

I don't think so, those are playback screens Snyder is in front of (and assure that the scenes are properly framed during filming).

And why would Snyder opt to reframe (i.e. crop) to scope? It would negate the work the VFX team did on Cyborg, for one, and make the dialogue scenes like the one between Barry and Bruce more cramped. They could do that if they shot the movie in Super 35 and extract a scope image from the footage (and have a 2.40:1 formatted SDCC tease instead). However, Snyder likes using anamorphic lenses for his scope films.

I think the 1.85:1 framing is there to stay for Justice League. The scenes are beautifully composed as they are. If The Avengers is any indication, audiences won't care about the screen ratio if the film delivers the goods.

Yeah, good points. Searched and found similar topic about Avengers 1.85:1 aspect ratio from 2012. Quite funny. They said the Hulk and the amount of characters is the reason.

Yeah, good points. Searched and found similar topic about Avengers 1.85:1 aspect ratio from 2012. Quite funny. They said the Hulk and the amount of characters is the reason.

That remains one of the flimsiest excuses ever, especially when Whedon switched to scope for Ultron. :loco:

I will criticize Snyder for doing it too, if he switches back to scope for JL2.

I definitely like the 1.85:1 aspect ratio a lot more than the 2.35:1, 2.35 is just too friggin wide for my tastes, translates horribly to home release as well since tv's tend to be around the 16:9 aspect ratio

I like the 1.85:1 framing too. I was put off when the SDCC teaser was released, but the compositions and lighting upon re-watching are simply beautiful. You can definitely tell that this is not a Fong or Mokri job, but someone else putting his stamp on Snyder's work.

You know who else I'd want to work with Snyder? Bill Pope. Imagine the clean look of Spider-Man 2 with Snyder's directorial style... now that would be a killer combination.

Whoo...anyone else seen the recent Transformers 5 teaser that came out? Granted, Transformers is never about quality storytelling, but the visuals and effects for the films are just spectacular. I hope we get to see something like that for the JL films later down the line.

I like the 1.85:1 framing too. I was put off when the SDCC teaser was released, but the compositions and lighting upon re-watching are simply beautiful. You can definitely tell that this is not a Fong or Mokri job, but someone else putting his stamp on Snyder's work.

Yeah MOS and BvS had very different looks probably due to different cinematographers, yet I felt they belonged in the same world. JL too looks different, but yet the same. Its a good thing imo. All three cinematographers added their stamp, but yet you could still feel the Zack's vision there in all of them.

Whoo...anyone else seen the recent Transformers 5 teaser that came out? Granted, Transformers is never about quality storytelling, but the visuals and effects for the films are just spectacular. I hope we get to see something like that for the JL films later down the line.

Why later, we might see it in this film itself! I think Zack is far better visual storyteller than Bay. I do think Bay gets too much flak as a director though. Your mileage may vary.

Edit: I just saw the Transformers 5 trailer. It looks stunning visually. Absolutely stunning.

Fwiw, I dont like Bay and his filmmaking because I think he objectifies women, and his films always have the male gaze.

Last edited:
Yeah MOS and BvS had very different looks probably due to different cinematographers, yet I felt they belonged in the same world. JL too looks different, but yet the same. Its a good thing imo. All three cinematographers added their stamp, but yet you could still feel the Zack's vision there in all of them.

Agreed. That's something I love and hope it continues with the DCEU. Something that annoys me about the MCU (and I love the MCU) is that all of their movies "look the same", ya know? I get it that it's to give a sense of visual continuity, as all of'em being part of the same universe, it just annoys me for some (probably very unjustified) reason....

Polux

Fabian Wagner on the sets of Justice League, image from The British Society of Cinematographers (BSC):

16113997_1218121021570614_625103396175174243_n.jpg

Fabian Wagner has to live up to all the grey filters of BvS and MOS. Good luck.

C5wRlJIWcAAiWMK.jpg
C5wRlI4XQAAU4Ah.jpg
C5wOO2yXMAAOkFj.jpg
C5wOTGqXMAE8UuD.jpg
C5wORaxWgAEMaUu.jpg
C5wNY8-WYAApykI.jpg

C5wNaG-WQAIyg4I.jpg
C5wNYCYWAAM_9ki.jpg
C5wRlJRXQAEs6SA.jpg
C5wVWmHWMAAaPTr.jpg

If anything, those screenshots prove he needs to live up to the teal and orange filters!

Teal and orange? But I thought they were colorless and drained out :o

I'd forgotten how visually gorgeous Snyder's Krypton looked, imo.

Man of Steel as a whole is gorgeous. Still love the look of it. (minus a few scenes.)

Fabian Wagner has to live up to all the grey filters of BvS and MOS. Good luck.

C5wRlJIWcAAiWMK.jpg
C5wRlI4XQAAU4Ah.jpg
C5wOO2yXMAAOkFj.jpg
C5wOTGqXMAE8UuD.jpg
C5wORaxWgAEMaUu.jpg
C5wNY8-WYAApykI.jpg

C5wNaG-WQAIyg4I.jpg
C5wNYCYWAAM_9ki.jpg
C5wRlJRXQAEs6SA.jpg
C5wVWmHWMAAaPTr.jpg

MoS and BvS are probably the most visually arresting superhero movies for me so far.
They look like paintings. comic book panels come to life.

Admittedly, Doomsday battle aside, I didn't have any problems with the look of BVS.

I'm surprised people haven't commented on the Aquaman shot here yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"