Fabian Wagner is the cinematographer.

The airport fight in Civil War was shot entirely in IMAX digital and I didn't really notice the difference.

Frankly I think the ONLY reason to shoot and present in IMAX is for the added revenue from "special" IMAX showings and 3D. Best way to get to a Billion I guess.

I have never seen enough difference in quality in to justify it...and the "expanding" of the screen for those scenes is just silly. All the main action happens in the center and you never really see it unless you are looking for it IMO. Maybe it's just my eyes.

IMAX is worthless to me because I have barely any real IMAX screens in my area.

The last place in my area that has real IMAX projection just got replaced with a digital projector.

True IMAX 70mm is pure eyegasmic. I can't wait for it to be the "norm" for large-scale filmmaking.

Differences won't be seen on the home market or most theaters, but for the lucky minority who have the luxury of experiencing it should absolutely be given that opportunity.

IMAX is worthless to me because I have barely any real IMAX screens in my area.

True IMAX 70mm is pure eyegasmic. I can't wait for it to be the "norm" for large-scale filmmaking.

Differences won't be seen on the home market or most theaters, but for the lucky minority who have the luxury of experiencing it should absolutely be given that opportunity.

That's the problem people shouldn't watch it in IMAX if there's no IMAX screens to watch it on .You lose that awesomeness. Luckily I have one in my town.

This of course is being shot on film like Jekecy said. However, Collider Frosty from Collider said Zack told them "no IMAX". The IMAX digital thing is kind of a travesty, especially when they advertise for example Eastwood's Sully as being shot entirely on IMAX, when what they mean is shot on the Alexa 65, which they tout as the IMAX digital camera.

So far, Wagner's work on JL looks good. The filters are still a Snyder influence, but you can tell that someone else lensed it.

The only detractor is that Snyder and Wagner have decided to shoot in the 1.85:1 format, rather than anamorphic 2.40:1 scope. I don't know if it was a stylistic choice like Joss Whedon did for the first Avengers movie.

I'm actually surprised by that, simply because Zack always uses Scope.

tumblr_oasagaR9KS1rpzbdgo1_500.gif

tumblr_oasagaR9KS1rpzbdgo2_500.gif

tumblr_oasagaR9KS1rpzbdgo3_500.gif

I'm actually surprised by that, simply because Zack always uses Scope.

I'm wondering if Fabian Wagner convinced him to shoot in that ratio, or whether Zack Snyder liked his demo reel so much he elected to change it up. Wagner's shot in scope before, i.e. Victor Frankenstein, so he's not opposed to the 2.40:1 ratio.

So far, Wagner's work on JL looks good. The filters are still a Snyder influence, but you can tell that someone else lensed it.

The only detractor is that Snyder and Wagner have decided to shoot in the 1.85:1 format, rather than anamorphic 2.40:1 scope. I don't know if it was a stylistic choice like Joss Whedon did for the first Avengers movie.

i agree with all of this. i'd love to know the reasoning behind the format change, but i suppose that's the kind of detail we won't get until the dvd commentary.

I personally don't like 1.85:1, kills the cinematic feel, I didn't like it with the Avengers.
Bad Choice and that was obvious from the footage, looked like some cheap TV show.

Yeah, sure. Terminator, Robocop, Aliens, Total Recall, Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil, IMAX scenes from TDK and TDKR - look like cheap TV show...

Yeah, sure. Terminator, Robocop, Aliens, Total Recall, Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil, IMAX scenes from TDK and TDKR - look like cheap TV show...

That's it for me. Whenever I pop in Interstellar or TDK Rises and the aspect ratio changes to normal from IMAX it annoys the hell outta me. I don't see why using the full scope of the screen isn't cool?

IMAX scenes in TDK - absolute beauty. It's killing me they decided to skip on IMAX footage in BvS release.

What about Godfather? Feels like a cheap TV show too? Game of Thrones? Sopranos? They're masterpieces.

Looks like cheap TV show argument is just...

IMAX scenes in TDK - absolute beauty. It's killing me they decided to skip on IMAX footage in BvS release.

What about Godfather? Feels like a cheap TV show too? Game of Thrones? Sopranos? They're masterpieces.

Looks like cheap TV show argument is just...

Yeah man I'll never understand it.

read what I said again, I didn't say that all movies shot in that ratio looked like cheap TV shows, I only said that about the footage of JL.

the movies you mentioned would have been even better with 2.35:1.

how does the JL footage look like a tv show? that footage looked beautiful, especially the Barry scene.

I personally don't like 1.85:1, kills the cinematic feel, I didn't like it with the Avengers.
Bad Choice and that was obvious from the footage, looked like some cheap TV show.

Jurassic freakin' Park. When you have dinosaurs walking next to tiny people, or Hulks walking next to tiny Robert Downey Jrs, 1:85:1 is a much better alternative.

Movies aren't intrinsically more or less cinematic based on the aspect ratio alone, that's stupid.

Jurassic freakin' Park. When you have dinosaurs walking next to tiny people, or Hulks walking next to tiny Robert Downey Jrs, 1:85:1 is a much better alternative.

Movies aren't intrinsically more or less cinematic based on the aspect ratio alone, that's stupid.
Exactly.

My personal impression - full screen stimulates immersion. More often than not, in my experience, I feel like I'm IN the movie, among characters, in the same room with them. I love this feeling. But some stories need to feel like you're reading a book or looking at a painting in a gallery. So wide aspect ratio fits better there.

Wagner is doing a lovely job based on the Comic Con Footage IMO.

Exactly.

My personal impression - full screen stimulates immersion. More often than not, in my experience, I feel like I'm IN the movie, among characters, in the same room with them. I love this feeling. But some stories need to feel like you're reading a book or looking at a painting in a gallery. So wide aspect ratio fits better there.
That's an entirely relative term based on screen size and seating distance. A real IMAX screen for example benefits from a square ratio, but in most general spaces the widescreen is more ideal.

anyone see larry fong's work on skull island the lack of color in BVS/MOS is truly a snyder thing still loved his work none the less
tumblr_oasf29ArUI1rz9hl6o3_540.gif

tumblr_oasf29ArUI1rz9hl6o4_540.gif

tumblr_oasf29ArUI1rz9hl6o1_540.gif

tumblr_oasf29ArUI1rz9hl6o5_540.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay