Fant4stic: Reborn! - - - - - - Part 40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes this movie is awful, but its not the fault of the writers, director, cast , studio or producers.
I think they should all be given ribbons for participation.

Yet Trank doesn't have the same clout as Bay and the said Turtles film director. It won't make a TMNT style amount nor will it get a sequel.

Not to mention general audiences have never been excited about the Fantastic Four. General audiences don't view the FF as "cool" or nostalgic as they do poorly reviewed successes like TMNT and Transformers. FF is a property that still has to convince audiences and this film isn't convincing anyone.

There's not enough action and spectacle in this movie to entice people despite awful reviews.

There was an olde time jingle that went....
"Pepsi-Cola hits the spot, eight full ounces---THAT'S A LOT!!!"
People were thinner back then, no doubt

Maybe they could adapt it....
"Fantastic Four hits the spot, 8% fresh---THAT'S A LOT!!!"
But what happens when it hits 7% ?

This film is the byproduct of Fox's hubris and arrogance. While it will be a black eye to the people who were involved, the response to this film is exactly what Fox deserved.

The position Fox is the fault of no one else but itself. The things Fox is sore over (Star Wars, Marvel, etc.) is due to Fox's own inactivity. While Fox was idling about, Disney comes along and scoops up both properties, shelling out the money Fox refused to.

Fox is really in danger of being an also-ran when it comes to CBM's. They have more misses than hits.

I feel bad for the people that worked on this film (but they still got paid, so...) but this is what happens when you mess with a property and take a risk with it. They wanted to be hip and cool and contemporary, and apparently it just didn't work. That's what could happen if you take a risk.

Yet Trank doesn't have the same clout as Bay and the said Turtles film director. It won't make a TMNT style amount nor will it get a sequel.

people also forget the turtles are the turtles... the nostalgia is probably far greater than fantastic four... which has an older larger fanbase than younger.. while turtles has a younger more current fan-base that is pretty strong from 80s to now.. not only that, but it had been nearly 20 years since we had a live action turtles film... I doubt it had anything to do with Micheal Bay as a producer that drew in an audience....

well movie bob's review is out and it doesnt hit pixels level rage its brilliant lol

people also forget the turtles are the turtles... the nostalgia is probably far greater than fantastic four... which has an older larger fanbase than younger.. while turtles has a younger more current fan-base that is pretty strong from 80s to now.. not only that, but it had been nearly 20 years since we had a live action turtles film... I doubt it had anything to do with Micheal Bay as a producer that drew in an audience....

Comparing FF to TMNT makes no sense anyway. The TMNT had a wildly successful cartoon series that spawned the biggest toy production of any product outside of Star Wars. Not to mention it also had two hit movies, decades of video games and currently has another popular cartoon series and huge toy line. Its permanent place in the pop culture lexicon is solidified. FF has yet to prove itself a viable commodity, even in comics. It would be like comparing the Green Lantern Corps to Transformers.

I can't see Fox moving forward with another Fantastic Four movie after this. Especially not one in this universe.

Comparing FF to TMNT makes no sense anyway. The TMNT had a wildly successful cartoon series that spawned the biggest toy production of any product outside of Star Wars. Not to mention it also had two hit movies, decades of video games and currently has another popular cartoon series and huge toy line. Its permanent place in the pop culture lexicon is solidified. FF has yet to prove itself a viable commodity, even in comics. It would be like comparing the Green Lantern Corps to Transformers.

^^^ to be fair, that's all era based...

the Fantastic Four were quite "the turtles of their time" in the 60s and 70s... Thing and Human Torch were 2 of the most popular comic characters...

the Fantastic Four were quite "the turtles of their time" in the 60s and 70s... Thing and Human Torch were 2 of the most popular comic characters...

That's true and that's why it's so ironic that they moved away so strongly from the version of the FF from the 60s and 70s. They wanted us to believe it was based on the modern UFF instead of the classic FF which was 10x more popular in its day and whose readers, like myself are still alive and still see every comic based movie.
But of course the UFF proved to be another lie/disinformation. It was Chronicle 2 with FF names and powers tacked on with double-sided tape.

Last edited:
I'm kinda surprised it's getting slammed this bad, but overall I am not surprised it's being slammed. I really feel ESPECIALLY if one looks back now, you HAD to see this coming when you look at everything.

I mean, Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder, facing the opposite direction in the middle of a storm in the dead of night with no moon could see this coming.

That just proves my point though. What has anyone done with FF outside of "popular" comics in the 60s and 70s to keep them relevant, accessible and financially viable? Nothing of note. The TMNT went through a lot of changes across multiple mediums to try to adapt to the times/get new fans. Some worked and some didn't, but at least they haven't stopped trying, and that's why it's still such a popular franchise. FF isn't even in the same realm. At this point I'd put them squarely in The Phantom territory.

That's true and that's why it's so ironic that they moved away so strongly from the version of the FF from the 60s and 70s. They wanted us to believe it was based on the modern UFF instead of the classic FF which was 10x more popular in its day and whose readers, like myself are still alive and still see every comic based movie.
But of course the UFF proved to be another lie/disinformation. It was Chronicle 2 with FF names and powers tacked on with double-sided tape.

The problem with the Fantastic Four since the end of Byrne's tenure is they don't have an edge -- and it seems like everything that's had success since The Dark Knight and Watchmen has been characters have a darkness to them.

And I think that's just a result of audiences becoming increasingly more cynical and suspicious over the last couple of decades.

The question is really... how do you change the FF to become more popular with modern audiences without losing their core essence?

I really do believe they need a shot in the arm, I'm just not sure what that is.

I'm kinda surprised it's getting slammed this bad, but overall I am not surprised it's being slammed. I really feel ESPECIALLY if one looks back now, you HAD to see this coming when you look at everything.

I mean, Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder, facing the opposite direction in the middle of a storm in the dead of night with no moon could see this coming.

it's been painfully obvious since the beginning....

i was just afraid of a "TMNT/Transformers" situation, where bad films still make a whole bunch of money...

the worst part is we can't say "fans caused this movie to fail" because people will just be like "Well a bad movie is a bad movie, the fans didn't effect the box office"

That just proves my point though. What has anyone done with FF outside of "popular" comics in the 60s and 70s to keep them relevant, accessible and financially viable? Nothing of note. The TMNT went through a lot of changes across multiple mediums to try to adapt to the times/get new fans. Some worked and some didn't, but at least they haven't stopped trying, and that's why it's still such a popular franchise. FF isn't even in the same realm. At this point I'd put them squarely in The Phantom territory.

here's a big issue .. "everything" can't stay relevant.. the Fan 4 has had lots of competition and had to face off against so many other new fan-bases and fads.. everything can't win...

This film is the byproduct of Fox's hubris and arrogance. While it will be a black eye to the people who were involved, the response to this film is exactly what Fox deserved.

The position Fox is the fault of no one else but itself. The things Fox is sore over (Star Wars, Marvel, etc.) is due to Fox's own inactivity. While Fox was idling about, Disney comes along and scoops up both properties, shelling out the money Fox refused to.

Fox is really in danger of being an also-ran when it comes to CBM's. They have more misses than hits.

tumblr_inline_njhmmfEhOy1rima5v.gif

The problem with the Fantastic Four since the end of Byrne's tenure is they don't have an edge -- and it seems like everything that's had success since The Dark Knight and Watchmen has been characters have a darkness to them.

And I think that's just a result of audiences becoming increasingly more cynical and suspicious over the last couple of decades.

The question is really... how do you change the FF to become more popular with modern audiences without losing their core essence?

I really do believe they need a shot in the arm, I'm just not sure what that is.

I say let Doom win.. turn the gov or something against them... and make them go on the run.... I keep saying it.. but Doctor Who meets Lost in Space... they should be traveling time and space and exploring. And possibly even hiding from who ever or whatever is after them...

honestly the whole Spider-verse concept with Doom would have been interesting... Doom could have altered the cosmos and been working with Dooms from alt realities.. and the F4 have to travel through space and time to stop him.

here's a big issue .. "everything" can't stay relevant.. the Fan 4 has had lots of competition and had to face off against so many other new fan-bases and fads.. everything can't win...

Of course, which is why MS hasn't tried making another solo Hulk movie. His story on its own just doesn't seem to appeal to people. If Fox were smart they would have done the same with FF and reintroduced them as minor characters in an X movie and see what their reception would be there. IMO the FF have Superman-esque fatigue. They're the boy/girl scouts of Marvel teams. This new movie feels very much like a Man of Steel inspired grimdark job, just on a cheaper budget. IMO they should have gone the GOTG route instead.

Of course, which is why MS hasn't tried making another solo Hulk movie. His story on its own just doesn't seem to appeal to people. If Fox were smart they would have done the same with FF and reintroduced them as minor characters in an X movie and see what their reception would be there. IMO the FF have Superman-esque fatigue. They're the boy/girl scouts of Marvel teams. This new movie feels very much like a Man of Steel inspired grimdark job, just on a cheaper budget. IMO they should have gone the GOTG route instead.

Actually....it's a rights issue....Marvel/Disney has the rights to have the Hulk in it's movie....but he can't be the lead......Universal has that right.

The Fantastic Four shouldn't have an edge to them. That's what this film tried and that's why it failed. The Fantastic Four are inherently an idealistic and fun team. You have to sell it like it is, which is why Marvel is the best suited for the franchise. They were unashamed to market a movie about a man who speaks to ants and shrinks. Meanwhile Fox keeps trying to make FF into a less cool X-Men. And that's why general audiences aren't interested because why settle for a poor man's X-Men that has nothing unique about it?

Actually....it's a rights issue....Marvel/Disney has the rights to have the Hulk in it's movie....but he can't be the lead......Universal has that right.

And Uni is/was more than willing to share that (prob not now that they have Legendary to help with tentpoles) but MS still wouldn't do one. I've asked Feige twice and both times he couldn't have sounded more disinterested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"