Favorite Transformer

The Lizard said:
Well the Transformers Ultra Magnus box says 1985 right on the back, regardless of whenever it might have been released. I'm looking at the scan of it right now.
I would check who sold that to you. Unless its Japanese, in which case he was released a year earlier, it wasn't released in America until (around) the movie (1986). Reprolabels has a sister site that reproduces boxes, its quiet possible that they fudge some details on the box on purpose. In addition I would check what copyright you're taking about. All Transformers toys include two copyrights, one for Takara and one for Hasbro, typically Takara is an earlier date but not always. Furthermore several toys were released in several lines (Starscream, Optimus Powermaster Prime, The cassettes, Starscream to name a few). In addition Ultra Magnus has been released by Takara and Hasbro two times in the last 3 years or so, these such boxes would also include Takara and Hasbro release information for the originals.

Rodimus Prime was a *****... all he did was complain about having the Matrix in the TV series.
:(

big let down.

ShadowBoxing said:
I would check who sold that to you. Unless its Japanese, in which case he was released a year earlier, it wasn't released in America until (around) the movie (1986). Reprolabels has a sister site that reproduces boxes, its quiet possible that they fudge some details on the box on purpose. In addition I would check what copyright you're taking about. All Transformers toys include two copyrights, one for Takara and one for Hasbro, typically Takara is an earlier date but not always. Furthermore several toys were released in several lines (Starscream, Optimus Powermaster Prime, The cassettes, Starscream to name a few). In addition Ultra Magnus has been released by Takara and Hasbro two times in the last 3 years or so, these such boxes would also include Takara and Hasbro release information for the originals.

I don't doubt that Ultra Magnus hit the US toy shelves in '86, because I also remember seeing it around the time the TF movie came out.

But for whatever reason, the original, non-repro, non-reissue Ultra Magnus box says 1985 -- see below.

Attachments

• ebay_picsF 027 (Medium).jpg
    ebay_picsF 027 (Medium).jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 8
  • ebay_picsF 028 (Medium).jpg
    ebay_picsF 028 (Medium).jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 5
  • ebay_picsF 028.jpg
    ebay_picsF 028.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 6
Optimus was definetly my favorite

The Lizard said:
I don't doubt that Ultra Magnus hit the US toy shelves in '86, because I also remember seeing it around the time the TF movie came out.

But for whatever reason, the original, non-repro, non-reissue Ultra Magnus box says 1985 -- see below.
Movie came out on August 8th 1986, furthermore the preview which came out earlier that year was under the impression that he would be in diaclone colors when he was released in the United States, so either the box is carrying a takara copyright, or its typo.

ultramagnus1.jpg

preview for movie dated earlier that year
moviebluemagnus.jpg

ScottyBBadd said:
Omega Supreme.
He was cool....he got a great episode devouted to him "The Secret of Omega Supreme". One of the few characters who shined more in the cartoon than the comic.

ShadowBoxing said:
He was cool....he got a great episode devouted to him "The Secret of Omega Supreme". One of the few characters who shined more in the cartoon than the comic.

Very true. I also got a kick out of the Combatacons.

ScottyBBadd said:
Very true. I also got a kick out of the Combatacons.
They were cool. Some people prefer their later incarnation in RiD where they formed Ruination. They were the Decepticons (Destrongers) who served under Predacon Megatron/Galvatron and their field leader Scourge. Their names were changed as well. Onslaught, Swindle, Brawl, Vortex and Blast Off were instead Mega Octane, Rollbar (like the 1987 throttlebot, no connection), Armorhide, Ro-Tor, and Movar.

ShadowBoxing said:
They were cool. Some people prefer their later incarnation in RiD where they formed Ruination. They were the Decepticons (Destrongers) who served under Predacon Megatron/Galvatron and their field leader Scourge. Their names were changed as well. Onslaught, Swindle, Brawl, Vortex and Blast Off were instead Mega Octane, Rollbar (like the 1987 throttlebot, no connection), Armorhide, Ro-Tor, and Movar.

I have not seen the newer renditions.

ScottyBBadd said:
I have not seen the newer renditions.
I would count yourself lucky....I kinda felt that cartoon sucked, in fact it really sucked.

Equint77 said:
Rodimus Prime was a *****... all he did was complain about having the Matrix in the TV series.
:(

big let down.

I hated Rodimus Prime. Ultra Magnas was "Da Man".

ShadowBoxing said:
I would count yourself lucky....I kinda felt that cartoon sucked, in fact it really sucked.

I will make a note of that.

Not too big on the Transformers. I've tried getting into it, but I only know the basics (Optimus is in charge of the Autobots, Megatron the Decepticons). When I start hearing about Rodimus Prime, and the Matrix, and Galvatron (who is apparently still Megatron with a different name?) I just kind of give up.

But anyway, I've always liked Optimus. I like the Gallant self-sacificing leader types. And Rhinox, from Beast Wars, is also a favorite. As far as other transforming Mechs, Wing Zero is by far my fave :up:.
new_pa2.jpg

Leto Atrides said:
Not too big on the Transformers. I've tried getting into it, but I only know the basics (Optimus is in charge of the Autobots, Megatron the Decepticons). When I start hearing about Rodimus Prime, and the Matrix, and Galvatron (who is apparently still Megatron with a different name?) I just kind of give up.

But anyway, I've always liked Optimus. I like the Gallant self-sacificing leader types. And Rhinox, from Beast Wars, is also a favorite. As far as other transforming Mechs, Wing Zero is by far my fave :up:.
new_pa2.jpg

Optimus Prime was ok.

ScottyBBadd said:
I hated Rodimus Prime. Ultra Magnas was "Da Man".
No offense, Ultra Magnus f---ed up everything he ever attempted to do. He couldn't open or use the Matrix, Couldn't get the Autobots off Junkion. Couldn't protect Cybertron in Rebirth. Was the first to comtract the hate plague....:down

Sorry Rodimus was actually pretty cool, those who hate him should actually bother to watch the 3rd season and note how he ended the first great war, or read the comic where he defended the falling New York City from the menace of Galvatron...dying in the process. Prowl in that reality said he was the "best of the Autobot leaders"

Star Sabre probably ended up being the most effective Autobot commander...him or Fortress Maximus

ShadowBoxing said:
Movie came out on August 8th 1986, furthermore the preview which came out earlier that year was under the impression that he would be in diaclone colors when he was released in the United States, so either the box is carrying a takara copyright, or its typo.

Probably a typo. Since the toy looked like Optimus maybe Hasbro didn't figure it was worth changing the date info on the package. As further confirmation, I now have TWO original mint-in-box Ultra Magnuses, amazing as that sounds, and they both have the 1985 Hasbro copyright date. Takara is mentioned in that same line on the back of the box, but there is only one date - 1985. An interesting bit of info for in-box TF collectors.

One of the UMs I've got is so dead-mint I think we're going to send it off for professional grading. I recently saw a highly-graded Soundwave sold for over $2000!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"