February 2008 Solicitations

For the record; Newsarama's new method of displaying the solicitation sucks.

Yeah, I noticed the difference as well. I don't know what brought it on, either. Trying to match the solicit with the cover image is not a fun game to have to play.

They've done it before. I think it's just because they're too lazy to match the images themselves.

The Annihilation: Conquest cover gave me renewed hope that the dude next to Phyla might be Genis, since Warlock was wearing a different costume. But then I realized that Warlock was still wearing a black costume with a red lightning bolt, and it's not a huge leap from that to the costume on the cover, so it's probably just stupid Warlock.

Art Adams almost made Wonder Man's original costume look good on that Avengers Classic cover. Almost.

Kick-Ass sounds ****ing terrible, like most of Millar's ideas. Shame JR Jr.'s wasting his time on it.

Kick-Ass doesn't sound terrible at all. You just know it will be terrible because Millar's writing it. There's a difference.

I tend to balk whenever "realistic" is used to describe superhero stuff. It usually means the comic will take itself way too seriously.

I've seen Rucka describe Checkmate as being "realistic" and it's one of the best books DC puts out. To each his own, though.

Hence the "usually." It seems like "realistic" often means they're going to try to deny the fantastical nature of superheroes and try to apply them to the real world. That rarely works well for me.

There was one book that I wish I could remember the name to. It came out this year and it was a 4 issue series by a small publisher. It dealt with this normal guy (overweight, dead end job, etc) gaining superpowers and what he did with said powers. It was colorful and fun and everything you'd want out of a comic book, while still being pretty grounded. This is gonna drive me nuts, not remembering the name of it.

Sounds like a similar concept to the old DC series Major Bummer.

I remember that one, too. This one was pretty critically acclaimed (as Major Bummer was, if I'm remembering correctly). The protagonist had blonde hair, blue baseball cap. Damn it.

**** Marvel for cancelling the first comic I actually started to collect, Cable and Deadpool. Feb. will be a sad month for Marvel comics.

Cable and Deadpool had it's moments of goodness. I'm not sad to see it go, though. The new Cable solo series sounds a lot more interesting. And if Marvel keeps Cable's calm, zen-like personality, even better.

I just really hope they have him balance his psi-powers and guns. Too many guns and pouches and warrior-badass junk and Cable becomes a boring '90s cliché. Frankly, I really wish they'd just jack his psychic powers back up to the level from his savior period.

That'd be cool. Honestly, the description of a sci-fi, police procedural sold me pretty much from jump street.

Well, Mighty Avengers 9 confirms that the whole "Venom Virus" arc is only a 2-parter, merely used as an excuss for the writers to have the team attack Dr. Doom.

I reeeally want to know more about red Hulk. Can't wait for 2008.

Hitch messed up Susan's face. Look at her far eye. It's like, too high on her face. Not a very good cover from Hitchy

anyway I am wayyyy looking forward to Millar's FF. The man has proven himself capable of doing high-concept supersci stuff. Plus, McDuffie's run has just been pure ass. God it sucks. It's so...I don't even know! It's boring and seems inconsequential and it doesn't even have the "fun factor" to overcome that. It sucks. Also the art sucks. What is good about this book right now! Nothing! It's making me miss JMS; he was at least writing the 4 as characters, instead of writing 4 big stereotypical versions of themselves. For instance, Ben's little phrases lose all their silly charm when he uses them in almost every single speech bubble. God! I think bad Thing dialogue is, I'll say it--I think it's worse than bad Woverine dialogue. God. God. Also, Johnny's dialogue is just terrible, too. I think this run would probably come off a lot better if it was done as an animated series than as a comic, in this current era of writing where readers just demand a little more sophistication from their books.

Other thoughts:

McGuinness draws a crappy Iron Man. His awesome Hulk will cancel that out though. But still.

"Black to the Future." Haha. I'm still not going to read you.

Bummed about waiting til Feb to finish Astonishing; happy that it's supersized with lots of non X-characters. Whedon would do a great FF book based off his little cameo of them way back in the Danger arc. Man! Shoulda stuck him on FF before he decided he could only do Buffy, what with his upcoming TV show and all.

In conclusion, I am pretty much against 90% of what Dread thinks, based off his posts in here.

Yeah pretty much. It always looks rushed. His Thing is especially lame.

Not Thing, but like, the human figures. I don't know. He's not as good as Wieringo was. Anyway. Pelletier sucks

His faces bother me, I think. How he draws like...face skin. Like lips or something. I don't know. He sucks. Shut up.

Saying his style is similar Ringo's when it's not, pretty much negates all further comments as being taken seriously.

I'm a super-god with a polish sausage for a dick

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"