February 2008 Solicitations

Doesn't it make a lot more sense to just stop buying books that you don't enjoy?

I might, if Marvel would quit making Bendis titles so essential in terms of events and tie-in's.

Dread will never stop reading books he hates. I think he's a closet masochist at this point.

I stopped reading USM last year, didn't I?

Yes, except she did so because she was trying to have her friend brought in safely rather than die while on the run. Maybe it was a dick move, but it wasn't as if she did it while she was rubbing her hands together laughing at the thought of Spider-Woman stewing in a cell.

I agree, but you really can't compare the two. Their experiences with the Initiative have been radically different from one another.

Ironically, Spider-Woman ran over to Ms. Marvel's team eventually anyway.

Actually, I can compare Justice and Ms. Marvel. Both of them have become involved with the Initiative process, and both of them have seen lots of nasty, sneaky, underhanded **** go down in the name of enforcing the SHRA. The difference is Justice is conflicted and actually DOES SOMETHING ABOUT IT, whereas Ms. Marvel gets conflicted, but goes along with orders anyway.

newuniversal, newuniversal. where art thou, newuniversal? :csad:

I had interest in this series, but it has waned, and the gap of time between new issues has not helped that. When it returns to the shelves, I may not buy 'em.

In conclusion, I am pretty much against 90% of what Dread thinks, based off his posts in here.

Thanks. I wouldn't want us to agree on anything, Not Jake. I'm just not ready for the world to come to an end. ;)

I can understand your thoughts on the McDuffie run (although I like the art). McDuffie is playing things fluffy and retro much of the time, and that turns off some people. It probably gels poorly after JMS. But I've enjoyed it for pure escapism. Although I didn't care for the Frightful Four being idiots. I hate to say it, but I have more hope for the Wizard in NEW AVENGERS.:wow:

Yes, in that the word from Dublin is that Hitch has finished 7 issues already.:cwink:

Actually, #24 ships in December (yeah, right), and then the whole run climaxs in GSAXM #1.

According to Heinberg on WordBalloon, they are examining their options for the next volume since he said he won't be back any time soon (although the Writers' Strike may have changed his position; who knows?).

So far, both of Cheung's covers for this series have been the main character against a backdrop of heads of various classic Marvel characters; Patriot/Cap, Hulkling/Captain Marvel. Is this a continuing theme, or just for these two covers, I wonder? (will Vision's issue be a collage of classic images of himself?)

So, the Whedon/Cassaday run will offically be like #25 or so issues worth of material? Does finishing the Breakworld saga really going to need 2-3 issues worth of story? To finish a story so generic? Okay, it's better than DANGER, but that was also generic. I mean I get that Whedon's niche is doing generic stuff, only having a mild tongue-in-cheek and writing in strong character moments, but he is consistantly overrated. I'll have forgotten his entire run, save for 2-3 moments, when it is done.

And I won't believe issues of any Millar/Hitch run are done until they ship on time, consistantly.

Frankly, "examining options for a Heinberg-less Young Avengers" should have happened last year. Or earlier this year. But, Joe Q's Marvel is awesome in that it only takes them 2 years to do things that are obvious to fans immediately. Now that's leadership! :whatever:

More thoughts on updated Newsarama solict announcements:

- I HATE their new set-up. Was posting the cover image to the solict really that hard? Since when did simple convenience become a luxury?

- ANNIHILATION: CONQUEST #4 looks cool, especially because Starlord is on the cover and hopefully that means he'll start playing a key role in the story. After all, his crew only found the friggin' cure for the transmode virus. That's pretty major. Plus, without Nova & Drax, and Wraith a rookie, Peter Quill's got to step up his bad-ass factor.

- Gage is co-writing AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE with Dan Slott...interesting. However, I see this line in the solict: "More death! More mayhem! No mercy!" and I groan. Haven't we seen ENOUGH of this from BOTH Marvel & DC for the past 3-4 years? Still, A:TI is always a riveting read, and I look forward to #10.

- CAPTAIN AMERICA looks to kick the Red Skull plot into high gear. My only concern is Brubaker, from what I have read of him, has no ability to end a storyline. This current one has literally been going on, without end, for almost 3 years. Eventually he is going to have to finish with the Red Skull. Eventually someone will have to win or lose. And eventually he will have to write in another adversary. Now, I love the book, it's good stuff, but that doesn't mean I could not get weary of a never-ending story. Still, it will probably be good.

- I hate that a story as cool as CAPTAIN MARVEL started off has to tie into potential retcon fecal matter that will be SECRET INVASION. I trust Brian Reed as a writer, but he isn't writing SECRET INVASION; Bendis is. He merely co-wrote the prelude with ILLUMINATI. 90% of it will be Bendis, and HOUSE OF M showcases what events written by Bendis become: talky, meandering, and causing things that make other writers have to work extra hard (see: M-Day, which has completely destroyed any forward ideas the X-Universe had in 2003).

- I was starting to tire of Way's GHOST RIDER, but I am interested in seeing what a new creative team brings to the table, especially with GR's sales starting to free-fall.

- Really, what is the point of HOUSE OF M: AVENGERS? The storyline was 2 years ago, and it was UNDONE. Either this is extra milking of the Avengers franchise, or HOM sold well in trade.

- Normally I would be weary of the IMMORTAL IRON FIST ORSON RANDALL special thingie, but Brubaker & Fraction made the Annual weave into the current arc so well that I am not concerned. Bring it on.

- Ah, MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS #6...by Feb. 2007 it should be selling outside the Top 100. Enjoy it while you can.

- MOON KNIGHT is thankfully getting a new creative team, even if the slow-paced Huston is a "co-plotter" (how is this different than a co-writer?). My interest is waning, though, and my patience may not last. There is a difference between "hating a book" and becoming apathetic to it. Hatred is at least an emotional response. But apathy is the lack of one. I can pay $3 to feel something, even loathing. But a "meh"? I am becoming less tolerant.

- Yay NOVA ANNUAL #1

- Yay THE ORDER #8, the best book no one reads from Marvel.

- NEW WARRIORS #9 continues to look good. One of Marvel's unexpected surprises, and in a good way.

- PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL still looks as fun and fluffy as ever, amazing for a Punisher book. I don't recall liking Chakyin's art, though.

- THOR #7 promises a new artist and "intensity". Does this mean he may actually fight a super-villain? Regardless, it is good.

- I'll try THE TWELVE in Jan. and hopefully it will be worth getting the month afterward.

- RUNAWAYS #30 finishes Whedon & Ryan's run on the title, a mere 4-5 months behind schedule. Granted, afterwards we get Moore and Ramos, so I haven't minded the delay. It is like putting off jury duty.

- Was the world really screaming for a relaunch of X-FORCE? Weren't we trying to move away from a billion X-books? Especially after M-Day? Pfft. The premise seems similar to MYSTIQUE, only with a team.

The premise is the premise for Mystique. The only differences are that Scott calls them up rather than Chuck and it's a team of black-suited "badass" mutants instead of one shapeshifter.
So, the Whedon/Cassaday run will offically be like #25 or so issues worth of material? Does finishing the Breakworld saga really going to need 2-3 issues worth of story? To finish a story so generic? Okay, it's better than DANGER, but that was also generic. I mean I get that Whedon's niche is doing generic stuff, only having a mild tongue-in-cheek and writing in strong character moments, but he is consistantly overrated. I'll have forgotten his entire run, save for 2-3 moments, when it is done.

And I won't believe issues of any Millar/Hitch run are done until they ship on time, consistantly.

Frankly, "examining options for a Heinberg-less Young Avengers" should have happened last year. Or earlier this year. But, Joe Q's Marvel is awesome in that it only takes them 2 years to do things that are obvious to fans immediately. Now that's leadership! :whatever:
Oh, you're never happy.
Well, on the Heinberg thing, he's right. They had a giant cash cow on their hands with Young Avengers, and they basically squandered it waiting on Heinberg's stupid ass to return. A few months, sure. A year... maybe. But waiting two years before even considering a replacement writer is just beyond dumb.

They've done it before. I think it's just because they're too lazy to match the images themselves.

The Annihilation: Conquest cover gave me renewed hope that the dude next to Phyla might be Genis, since Warlock was wearing a different costume. But then I realized that Warlock was still wearing a black costume with a red lightning bolt, and it's not a huge leap from that to the costume on the cover, so it's probably just stupid Warlock.

Art Adams almost made Wonder Man's original costume look good on that Avengers Classic cover. Almost.

Kick-Ass sounds ****ing terrible, like most of Millar's ideas. Shame JR Jr.'s wasting his time on it.

Ultimates 1 and 2 were far from bad ideas,Ultimate F4 was better than any Ultimate ongoing when it was out,Chosen was good and Wolverine was the best Wolvie has been in years.

So I wouldn't call all of Mark's ideas terrible.

- MOON KNIGHT is thankfully getting a new creative team, even if the slow-paced Huston is a "co-plotter" (how is this different than a co-writer?). My interest is waning, though, and my patience may not last. There is a difference between "hating a book" and becoming apathetic to it. Hatred is at least an emotional response. But apathy is the lack of one. I can pay $3 to feel something, even loathing. But a "meh"? I am becoming less tolerant.

Simply put, a co-plotter just does that, come up with plots. All the scripting and dialogue would be done by the other guy.

Ultimates 1 and 2 were far from bad ideas,Ultimate F4 was better than any Ultimate ongoing when it was out,Chosen was good and Wolverine was the best Wolvie has been in years.

I wouldn't either. I would call them terribly executed and cliche.:o

That's why you're not me. I hated the majority of the things you listed up there.

Wolverine hasn't been good since Rucka left. Yes, I said it.

Oh, I see what you did. And it's still throughaway comment. It's like if I were to post:

"Sins Past was not a good story. There, I said it."

It's factual.

Oh, I see what you did. And it's still throughaway comment. It's like if I were to post:

"Sins Past was not a good story. There, I said it."

It's factual.

But the difference is, there are people who think the CW tie-in was the best Wolverine has been, and then you have people like GNR that think Millar's run was the best. And they're in the majority. Just like Sins Past.

Most people don't even remember Greg Rucka wrote Wolverine.

But the difference is, there are people who think the CW tie-in was the best Wolverine has been, and then you have people like GNR that think Millar's run was the best. And they're in the majority. Just like Sins Past.

Most people don't even remember Greg Rucka wrote Wolverine.

All that proves is that there are stupid people. Which we knew already. Good for you. Anyway, Wolverine's not a horrible book. The CW issues were readable (even with the bad art) and the Loeb issues were....interestingly bad. But yes, the Rucka issues were by far the best that book has seen in a good long while. I'm actually looking forward to what Jason Aaron can do with the title. I read his one-off issue a few months back and it was very good.

All that proves is that there are stupid people. Which we knew already. Good for you. Anyway, Wolverine's not a horrible book. The CW issues were readable (even with the bad art) and the Loeb issues were....interestingly bad. But yes, the Rucka issues were by far the best that book has seen in a good long while. I'm actually looking forward to what Jason Aaron can do with the title. I read his one-off issue a few months back and it was very good.

Yes, there are.:o

The solicitation for Wolverine's post-MX issue sounds interesting. Given that Aaron is supposedly amazing and Garney's one of my favorite artists, I might actually give it a try then.

From the two books I've read of his (The Other Side and Scalped), I'd have to say he's probably one of the best writers in comics right now. Garney's work is always good (especially of late), but even without him, I'd pick this up for Aaron's scripts alone.

And honestly, the solicits for the book doesn't sound all that interesting to me. It sounds exactly like what the title was during the CW issues. Even so, I know Aaron will make an enjoyable read out of them.

Maybe I'm just trying to justify my desire for a Garney fix. I've missed his art since he left ASM.

There's nothing to justify, really. Two great creators doing a short stint on a book. It's not like picking it up will be a great financial risk or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"