Days of Future Past "First Class" does what "X-Men (2000)" couldn't do.

In a way Halle Berry and Hugh Jackman ruined the movies cause they were screen hogs.A movie should never cater to actors like that,it hurts the movie.The reason why Cyclops kept getting screwed over.
I agree with Hugh hogging the screen (Let's face it, with the exception of First Class, all the X-Men films focus mainly on Wolverine), but Halle really only had a lot of screentime in X3. When you think about it, out of the four main team members in the first film, she had the least amount of lines (and for good reason: that accent was bad). In X2, she had more screentime, but she definitely didn't stand out apart from her scenes in the jet and when she saves Prof. X with Nightcrawler. In X3, I think she had the most screentime after Jackman.
Rebecca Romijn-Stamos: biggest film with American audiences pre-2000, None. Model. Cameo in film Dirty Work.
Not that it matters really, but she had a cameo in Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me, which also grossed over $100 million, which would make her the third actress in X-Men who had been in a high grossing film in a supporting eye candy role.

No x-men film to date has had a better character introduction than wolverine in X1. I think First Class goes great with X-men 1. There's a reason it chose to use its first scene as the continuation of x-men's first scene.

Really, First Class was the first movie actually about the X-Men. The other movies were about Wolverine and featured the X-Men, most of whom were little more than glorified cameos by the end of the series.

In the first movie it wasn't so obvious, since Wolverine was the audience surrogate. But by the second and third movie... and then they just decided to get rid of the X-Men altogether and just make a move about Wolverine.

2000's "X-Men" is the first film in the series. And yet, "First Class" does a better job of introducing the universe and its characters. "First Class" is a prequel, but don't you secretly wish it was a reboot? Matthew Vaughn got things started in the right track, unlike Bryan Singer.

NO :whatever:

It's pretty hard to say "Matthew Vaughn got things started in the right track..." when we're 5 films into a billion+ dollar franchise. X-Men got things started on the right track, which is why Matthew Vaughn was able to do anything at all.

/endthread

this is definitely a much better start for the series and hopefully the sequel would allow more character development for the rest of the x-men while also expanding even more the relationship between charles and erik

First Class was the first movie actually about the X-Men. The other movies were about Wolverine and featured the X-Men

Wolverine was the central character. The same way that Xavier and Magneto are the central characters here.

Regarding the OP, I see his point that wrestlers, models, and athletes all do in typicality recieve more pay than just an average small actor.

I honestly see where the OP is coming from with that angle.

Especially if most of these actors werent famous, why shell out more cash when the action scenes/set could be improved which would help the brand name set itself up.

And I personally like Storm's line :oldrazz: (The what happens to a toad line). Haters lol. So yea, I agree with a bit of what the Op is saying.

First Class succeeds in introducing the core of the X men franchise which is the conflict in ideology between Magneto and Professor X.

The other X men movies were more about Wolverine being a badass and people loved only that. They missed the whole point of the series:doh:. The franchise resolved around themes like racism, discrimination, friendship, liberty, segregration, protect the ones who hate, domination. This is why I have never been a fan of the Pheonix saga, it is very good but off topic.

It is important to have a various cast of characters to create interesting bonds.

The conflict in ideology was the core of the first 3 X-Men movies.

Exactly. FIRST CLASS certainly focused on Xavier and Magneto's origins and the origin of their ideological struggle more, but I don't know that I'd begin to make the argument that it introduced the world of the X-Men better than X-MEN did. To me, the world of the X-Men is its central themes, not just Xavier and Magneto and their conflict. You can have ongoing stories without Xavier and Magneto or even famliar lead characters that are still X-Men stories.

The Senate sequence and the accompanying political element in X-MEN is fantastic, the speeches from Xavier and Magneto are far more eloquent and socially relevant than what we got in FIRST CLASS...I.E, the general mutant conflict is introduced in X-MEN VS personal conflict in FIRST CLASS about big feet and explosive powers and being weird looking, etc. The hatred toward mutants in X-MEN feels like hatred towards mutants. Hatred toward mutants doesn't really exist yet in FIRST CLASS...it amounts to teasing and then to human intelligence and military leaders being afraid of mutant powers. FIRST CLASS is a fantastic prequel take on the mutant phenomenon...but X-MEN (and its subsequent films) handled that aspect of the concept better.

Last edited:
FC is more of an introduction. It was more personal and more about how their friendhip fell apart. I like how their younger selves are not as wise and experienced than their future incarnations.

Needless to say that FC showed that Magneto were "young" and that they were more than an old fart with a silly helmet and another old fart bald in a wheel chair.

FC is more of an introduction. It was more personal and more about how their friendhip fell apart. I like how their younger selves are not as wise and experienced than their future incarnations.

Me too, thats I prefer the Magneto and Professor X of XFC than the Magneto/Professor X of the original trilogy.

Well I would suspect as much...I mean the younger versions of any character can be far more interesting than their older counterparts.

Granted there are a few exceptions. Darth Vader for example was much cooler when he was older. :o

For me, one of the biggest differences between FC and X1 is the tone and scale.

FC is bigger in scale, with the whole attack to Cuba and the x-men trying to stop it, working as a team and using their powers in a bigger way, specially Banshee.

For me, that whole part was the most epic act from the franchise.

And the exciting thing is that it seems it will become bigger sequel after sequel.

And that's why Im dying to see Third Class, to see that big action sequences and sets with Scott, Jean, Ororo, more Beast, Banshee, Havok and whoever join the team until that moment.

By the time we get to Third Class Xavier and Beast could be only ones at Mansion that was there In First Class.

The Third Class could be the X2 of First Class Trilogy.If Sinster Is used In the trilogy I say wait till third film so he can be major character when Cyclops Is Introduced.And we can see a different point of view with him apart from Xavier and Magneto.Similar to how they use Stryker In X2.

Matthew Vaughn can do action like Brett Ratner but unlike Ratner he Is Competent Director and understands story and Character are Important.Plus Vaughn has Bryan Singer around to devolp stories and work with him to make a good film.

We dont know which characters from First Class will be on third class and which not.

I believe their plan is to keep the whole cast during the trilogy.

Banshee and Havok dont need to disapear before Scott, Jean and Ororo.

In fact, the interesting thing will be to see them all together.

Last edited:
In any case, they have have to make a good sequel (very hard) in order to hope for a trilogy and an expanded universe.

It is very likely that they will have a bigger budget, a better production schedule, cast popularity, reputation, superior advertisements.

I think Vaugh and Singer are aware of that and they have the potential to make a sequel almost as popular as TDK.

first class was a bigger movie with more money and time to make it. if singer had the time and money he could have made the big summer 2 hour movie that we just got 11 years ago. to say that X-men failed is wrong, it succeed were it should have failed. the movie had so many things going against it, a small budget, short shooting schedule, rush to find actors, and a studio that had little faith in the movie.

You realize you just described how a huge majority of successful films are actually made? In any case even when Singer got his backing for Superman Returns the film turned out to be complete s.hit!

That's a question I'd like to know as well.

X2 proves Singer is capable of making something truly special...but X1 leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I honestly don't think resources can really be used to excuse how X1 was handled...i mean, i hate to be that guy...but Singer had ample resources when he was chosen to direct Superman Returns and I'm still not sure how well that turned out...

I can say this, I do regret that Singer left X-men to work on Superman...I can appreciate X3 given the circumstances, but it would have been nice to see how Singer would have handled X3...I love the way Singer approached the Phoenix in X2...I still would like to see him progress with the Phoenix storyline.

Singer has no clue what he's doing. Wasn't Superman Returns enough of a testament to that?

In any case, they have have to make a good sequel (very hard) in order to hope for a trilogy and an expanded universe.

It is very likely that they will have a bigger budget, a better production schedule, cast popularity, reputation, superior advertisements.

I think Vaugh and Singer are aware of that and they have the potential to make a sequel almost as popular as TDK.

mm.. not sure about the comparision.

But I really believe that the sequel will be the best grossing movie of the franchise.

Who knows?.... but I think it could reach $500M worlwide.

with the inflation and popularity of the cast by that time, and the great reception of FC, the sequel can give Fox more money than the previous movies.

Last edited:
I could be wrong about banshee and havok being gone when Cyclops,Jean,and Storm are Introduced but I think they may not want to have Havok around when Cyclops Is Introduced so they don't have to get Into their relationship.I think It would be Intresting to eventully have a younger guy Older woman relationship between Moira and banshee,and he could leave to help her.

People need to accept there are those who enjoyed Superman Returns.The GA and critics liked it.It did 200 Million Domesticly and another 191 Million overseas.Domesticly It did better than Green Lantern,X-Men,and Wolverine.It did only 5 million less than Batman Begins did domesticly and overseas actully performed better than Batman Begins.Plus It sold well on DVD.I agree It's not perfect.Especilly since It has one of the worst casting In a comic book film with Kate Bosworth.But It performs well as final part of trilogy with Superman and Superman II.It defently Isn't a Batman and Robin Fiasco like some suggest.Even Bryan ahs admitted recently he probally made a mistake making It sequel to Richard Donner's films and not a restarted origin story.You will never hear those like Brett Ratner admit to their mistakes.

X-Men deals with more serious themes than other comic book films.Films like Spider-Man,Iron Man,and even Batman are easier for some to get.In a First Class sequel If Fox gives them a better slot and actully promates it right could be a huge Increase from First Class' box office.

I could be wrong about banshee and havok being gone when Cyclops,Jean,and Storm are Introduced but I think they may not want to have Havok around when Cyclops Is Introduced so they don't have to get Into their relationship.I think It would be Intresting to eventully have a younger guy Older woman relationship between Moira and banshee,and he could leave to help her.

I think Havok should be around when Cyclops is introduced so they DO have to get into their relationship! It would be some really spectacular development, why Havok completely distanced himself from his younger brother. Boyscout Scott (assuming he has similar characteristics as he does in the other movies) could have serious issues with Havok getting thrown in jail at a young age, lack of the older brother role model etc etc. I've read that in the comics Havok is younger but frankly who cares if some diehard fanboys get ******** if it means we see some really cool character development? I've never liked Cyclops, he's too goody-two-shoed. I never liked Prof X before either and FC bumped him up near the top of my list. It'd be cool so see Cyclops presented in a likeable way as well. Havok's hand in that could be pretty interesting.

Lol u dont Like a guy because he's a good hearted man who leads the team and does his best to exercise the philosophies of good? Amazing just amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"