The Dark Knight Rises Flip a Coin: Nolan or Two-Face?

How would bringing back a dead character that wasn't even *mentioned* in the first film give the trilogy completion?

How would bringing back a dead character that wasn't even *mentioned* in the first film give the trilogy completion?

I can see where you're coming from here. True, Harvey's only moment of glory thus far was in part 2. I guess the idea of a cover-up really intrigues me though. Kind of a "things go from bad to worse" kind of situation. Two-Face escapes Arkham and reveals to Gotham (somehow) that he killed those people and that Gordon covered it up. So in the end, people trust Batman again but they don't trust the cops.

I'd take Nolan anyday. The guy is a rare gem in the movie industry. A director who's actually gifted at story-telling, and who has a unique vision worth something. Even if Two-Face doesn't come back, Nolan WILL NOT DISAPPOINT with his third film.

Nolan all the way, imagine if they came with a Shumacherized resurrection of Harvey and I want Nolan to finish the story

Much as I'm a fan and want Two-Face return but I rather have Nolan direct 3rd Bat-movie with great style his done with BB & TDK.

I can see where you're coming from here. True, Harvey's only moment of glory thus far was in part 2. I guess the idea of a cover-up really intrigues me though. Kind of a "things go from bad to worse" kind of situation. Two-Face escapes Arkham and reveals to Gotham (somehow) that he killed those people and that Gordon covered it up. So in the end, people trust Batman again but they don't trust the cops.

A very sensible thought process! For once I don't mind that idea.

Much as I'm a fan and want Two-Face return but I rather have Nolan direct 3rd Bat-movie with great style his done with BB & TDK.

It's gotta be Nolan and done how he wants it done, I hope so much he does it and as he wants and needs to.

yea i would take Nolan over Two-Face any day. Two-Face is the second most important villain in the Batman mythos IMO so thats why i'm glad they dealt with him so well in TDK. bringing him back from the dead would just cheapen the character IMO. i do think the cover up route could be interesting, but i'd rather not have that. thats the difference with the Joker, he was captured not killed, and him being a constant re-occuring antaganist suits him perfectly. Whereas Two-Face would have a more important influence being dead, bringing back the feelings of guilt for Bruce because he couldn't save him.

I voted for Two-Face, only because I think the Batman franchise went south in the past because the studio gave the reigns to one director.

It had nothing to do with it being in the hands of one director. It was the directors that they gave it to is what made it go downhill. Most directors are looking to please the fanbase in their first shot at the movie (Batman, Batman Forever) and then look to take the franchise in their own direction afterwards and put what they think is the best move for it once they've already proven themselves with their first shot at it. The people they chose were the wrong people, seeing as where they took their sequels (Batman Returns, Batman and Robin). Nolan has already proven that his vision is the one that the world wants to see. The right vision of Batman. Keep him. He's the right man for the job.

I'd love to see Two-Face again but the thing I have always loved about Batman is he has such a great rogues gallery that you can afford to kill off someone as big as Two Face and not run out of villains to use.

It had nothing to do with it being in the hands of one director. It was the directors that they gave it to is what made it go downhill. Most directors are looking to please the fanbase in their first shot at the movie (Batman, Batman Forever) and then look to take the franchise in their own direction afterwards and put what they think is the best move for it once they've already proven themselves with their first shot at it. The people they chose were the wrong people, seeing as where they took their sequels (Batman Returns, Batman and Robin). Nolan has already proven that his vision is the one that the world wants to see. The right vision of Batman. Keep him. He's the right man for the job.

I agree that Burton and Schumacher were the wrong choices, and Nolan does seem to have a much better understanding of the character. Where he went right was getting a guy like Goyer with a great knowledge of the characters for input in fleshing out his Bat-universe. I'd love for him to come back, but I don't think it's imperative to the success of the franchise. If he doesn't return for a final film, WB needs to hire someone that is not only a top-notch director, but one that has some knowledge of Batman's history and will respect that history. I think there are several directors out there that are up for the task.

How old are you?

The mass hysteria and excitement for the first Batman film back in 89 was unbelieveable and it did not disappoint back then. Burton did a fine job with what he had to work with. I remember seeing several times that Burton wanted to go darker and the studio wouldn't let him.

yea back in 89 it was most deffinatly year of the Bat. similer to how 2008 is year of the Bat

2 face.

Nolan has made to incredible movies but he's not BIGGER than the characters in the movies.

It was an emotional scene when HAarvey fell and died, but I wished he hadn't and I hope somehow he would still be alive.

But the character 2-face will be here long after Nolan stop making these films.

I voted for Two-Face, only because I think the Batman franchise went south in the past because the studio gave the reigns to one director. Don't get me wrong, I love what Nolan has done with the first two films. But I don't think for a second that he's the only director out there who can make a fantastic Batman film. That would be like saying only Denny O'Neil or Alan Grant should write Batman comics. Plus, Nolan doesn't want to keep making these movies. He's indy at heart, and I don't want him to come back just because he was offered a boatload of cash. If he truly wants to come back, fine. If he would only come back because WB promised lots of cash and first look at some of his other projects, his heart might not truly be in it. That's how you get a Spider-Man 3, if you ask me. The studio might have demanded that Venom appear in that movie, but ultimately, Raimi and his brother wrote a sub-par screenplay. If WB sticks to hiring top-notch filmmakers, Batman will be just fine without Nolan.

Wow, you guys really dont read interviews. I come on here every week and see ppl assuming Penguin will appear in the next one even though both Nolan and Goyer have hinted against using him. And now someone says "oh, we all know Nolan is an indy guy at heart." Havn't you seen the interview where Nolan is asked about that? He says he actually sees himself as more of a mainstream filmmaker, and yet he keeps getting pigeonholed as an "indie guy" just because that's where he started.

How old are you?

The mass hysteria and excitement for the first Batman film back in 89 was unbelieveable and it did not disappoint back then. Burton did a fine job with what he had to work with. I remember seeing several times that Burton wanted to go darker and the studio wouldn't let him.
That was his point. That Burton and Schumacher had their visions reigned in for mainstream audiences and then, once given carte blanche, started to lose it. Nolan on the other hand has shown that even when he's given full control that he's putting the "right" Batman on screen, and therefore it would be foolish to let him go.

Wow, you guys really dont read interviews. I come on here every week and see ppl assuming Penguin will appear in the next one even though both Nolan and Goyer have hinted against using him. And now someone says "oh, we all know Nolan is an indy guy at heart." Havn't you seen the interview where Nolan is asked about that? He says he actually sees himself as more of a mainstream filmmaker, and yet he keeps getting pigeonholed as an "indie guy" just because that's where he started.

Actually, I do read interviews. Nolan seems to me to be indie at heart, which explains why he tries to keep CGI to a minimum. Being a "mainstream filmmaker" doesn't mean he has to ditch his style and technique. He likes to shoot movies the way they were produced in the 1970's, before Star Wars ushered in a new way of making films. To me, that's indie. As far as I'm concerned, he moved into the mainstream as soon as Insomnia came out. But that doesn't mean he has to concede his indie sensibilities. I honestly don't see him making too many superhero movies from here. I can see him doing one more Batman, and then not making another superhero movie ever again. I may be wrong, but we'll have to wait and see.

I wouldn't call Nolan indy, I probably would call him Traditional.

Okay, this is totally hypothetical, but if what Aaron Eckhardt says is true, if Nolan directs the next Batman film, Two-Face won't be a part of it. However, as we all know, his death was left a little ambiguous so it is feasible that he could come back for part 3. I personally feel that he should, because Two-Face is just as important to the Batman mythos as a villain as he was as a hero D.A.

So let's say that Warner Brothers really wants to use the character again but Nolan says "hell no, if you do that, I'm leaving." What would you rather see? Would you prefer Nolan to go his own route with the films or would you like to see them take the Batman/Two-face story even farther down its dark path?

Don't get me wrong; I love Nolan. He's made the two best Batman films ever and his other projects (Memento, The Prestige) have also been stellar. But I also really love the character of Two-Face and I feel that having his "death" be a cover-up and having him show up in part 3 would give a sense of completion to the trilogy. So I'm torn. Your thoughts?

::catches the coin in mid air::

you'd leave the fate of the movie to chance?

I was more scared by Anton and his coin then by Two-Face and his coin, but then again TDK rightfully belonged to the Joker.

I was more scared by Anton and his coin then by Two-Face and his coin, but then again TDK rightfully belonged to the Joker.
Well also Anton is balls to the wall insane. Two-face there is some justice involved and it is more sympathetic. Anton's only form of mercy is offering someone the chance to flip a coin.

Also they have to call it, so it isn't necessary the coins decision it is the decision of the individual.

Well also Anton is balls to the wall insane. Two-face there is some justice involved and it is more sympathetic. Anton's only form of mercy is offering someone the chance to flip a coin.
You're right, good point.

2 face.

Nolan has made to incredible movies but he's not BIGGER than the characters in the movies.

It was an emotional scene when HAarvey fell and died, but I wished he hadn't and I hope somehow he would still be alive.

But the character 2-face will be here long after Nolan stop making these films.

I agree with you.
I totally wished Two-Face had lived for the next movie (maybe he`s and its just for the suspence). And Yes: for a really great movie you need more talented people its not only the regisseur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"