G.I. Joe Anti-Hype

this movie has some pretty cool effects and some absolutely lousy ones... Somers himself is just a crap director overall... Thank GOD they didn't get him to do the spider-man film, it would've been beyond ******ed... in a new realm of idiocy...

The film itself from the acting and cast looks ****... sorry but it does, I really wish Ray Park would get a better break and do a kick ass Iron Fist film but Channing Tatum and some of the dialogue delivery in the film so far are worse than a 3rd grade play...

I don't know much about G.I Joe but if there was a soldier dressed as a pirate with a talking parrot I would laugh my ass off. That would just be ****ing stupid.
He's badass! And sometimes latino. But not even diehard fans want it to go that far. Preserving some of the characters trademark looks and traits would have been a nice gesture, though. The main reason people are pissed is that they took away good stuff and replaced it with something worse and still as stupid as anything the 80's RAH was known for (like some green crap eating towers), and in the end, the movie looks more generic and less interesting than it has any right to look.

I just now saw Cobra Commander. The guy has at least three badass masks they could have gone with, but instead we get a jellyfish and the girl from 3rd Rock from the Sun's stupid ass eyes. Great.

But still, to the average cinema goer a soldier who dresses like a pirate and has a talking parrot would be all kinds of ridiculous.

But still, to the average cinema goer a soldier who dresses like a pirate and has a talking parrot would be all kinds of ridiculous.

He doesn't dress like a pirate. He simply wears standard Navy dungarees and in the later books he has the standard navy issued black pants, black sweater, and black wool-knit cap.

The reason for him having a parrot is simply because... HE DOESN'T 100% WANT TO BE THERE! Maybe he was on leave in teh Caribbean or something. His nickname is 'Shipwreck.' Maybe that's how Duke starts winning them over, he names them what annoys him about them.

BAZOOKA = because he chews bazooka gum
GUNG HO = Because he's gun-ho
SHIPWRECK = because the guy looks like a friggin Shipwreck!
SCARLETT = because she keeps flinging her red hair in Dukes face
COVERGIRL = Because she looks like a Covergirl
SNAKE EYES = because he's always rolling dice
ROADBLOCK = because he's basically causing a roadblock for Duke

You get the idea.

Last edited:
shipwreck_full.jpg

Plain old exciting, if you ask me.

Yeah, it's not necessarily garnering so much hate because they strayed from the source maerial but because they put absolutely ZERO EFFORT into staying close to it. That's really what's wrong with this movie... they didn't even try to get close to the source material.

A. No 'Roadblock?' - they lost alot of people right there

Why?

B. Ripcord is now black? - That lost the rest of the people right there

Aside from the fact that Ripcord is not black...why? What does being black have to do with his Ripcordness?

It don't look like we'll be seeing Duke in khaki's

Because...

Hawk in his bomber jacket

Because...

C. Cobra Commander has a jellyfish for a head? - That scared of an other potentila fans

or Cobra Commander as... Cobra Commander, so this movie has problems.

Why? Is Cobra Commander nothing more than a hood and a glorified motorcycle helmet?

The idea that they don't want to be doing what they do is absurd at best.

He doesn't dress like a pirate. He simply wears standard Navy dungarees and in the later books he has the standard navy issued black pants, black sweater, and black wool-knit cap.

The reason for him having a parrot is simply because... HE DOESN'T 100% WANT TO BE THERE! Maybe he was on leave in teh Caribbean or something. His nickname is 'Shipwreck.' Maybe that's how Duke starts winning them over, he names them what annoys him about them.

BAZOOKA = because he chews bazooka gum
GUNG HO = Because he's gun-ho
SHIPWRECK = because the guy looks like a friggin Shipwreck!
SCARLETT = because she keeps flinging her red hair in Dukes face
COVERGIRL = Because she looks like a Covergirl
SNAKE EYES = because he's always rolling dice
ROADBLOCK = because he's basically causing a roadblock for Duke

You get the idea.
Really? I always thought they called him Bazooka because he was the guy who always used the Bazooka.

GI Joe has always been a conglomeration of the best from other forces...so a Navy SEAL on the Joe team would of course dress different from a Marine or sailor, and there would be some room for personality.

The totally ridiculous costumed characters and idiotic stuff (mostly from the cartoon) like Roadblock rhyming could just be ignored.

Roadblock could rap instead. Eh? Eh?

Methinks they're saving him to be a larger character. Since he's related to Heavy Duty and all.

Methinks they're saving him to be a larger character. Since he's related to Heavy Duty and all.

Wait...so they tossed Cobra Commander, Destro, Storm Shadow, Baroness and Zartan onto Cobra with no worries about a lack of screen time ruining the depth to their characters, yet ROADBLOCK is being saved for a sequel???????

Keep dreaming.

It's entirely possible.

You've got Duke, Scarlett, Ripcord, Snake Eyes, Hawk, Breaker, Cover Girl, and Heavy Duty.

I think it's entirely possible they'd save Roadblock for a sequel. Especially if someone "has to die".

I have my doubts that two black guys will survive to the end.

It was discussed somewhere in an article somewhere etc that they (Paramount) couldnt use the actual named Roadblock because of copyrights by Hasbro or some crap, so Heavy Duty is the closest thing, I believe they intended on the actor playing Heavy duty to be Roadblock but just had to basically switch his name. If I find my source Ill post but Im 90% sure Im correct.

It was discussed somewhere in an article somewhere etc that they (Paramount) couldnt use the actual named Roadblock because of copyrights by Hasbro or some crap, so Heavy Duty is the closest thing, I believe they intended on the actor playing Heavy duty to be Roadblock but just had to basically switch his name. If I find my source Ill post but Im 90% sure Im correct.

You're correct. I was going to post something but the whole thing sounds so damn ridiculous. They can't use the name 'Roadblock' because of some copywrite issue with Hasbro, but every other name in the G.I. Joe universe can be used? WTF?

This has been the story all along though, so I guess that's what we'll all know as the truth.

So then Roadblock's essentially in the film. What's the issue? :).

You're correct. I was going to post something but the whole thing sounds so damn ridiculous. They can't use the name 'Roadblock' because of some copywrite issue with Hasbro, but every other name in the G.I. Joe universe can be used? WTF?

This has been the story all along though, so I guess that's what we'll all know as the truth.

Exactly, I know it makes no sense at all.

This thread has convinced me that discussing this movie online prior to release is probably a waste of my time. I think I'm just going to just wait and then go ahead and watch the movie, since almost no-one else here actually seems interested in hyping it.

Yo, even when the 2002 G.I. Joe line was released they put out Heavy Duty instead of Road Block cause of some problem with the name, but they later did release RB. Why they didn't do was cast Marlon Wayans, Snails from Dungeons and Dragons, as a toy, which the idiot casting director of this movie did cast him in the film.

I have my doubts that two black guys will survive to the end.

Marlon Wayans should always die in every movie that he's in. That was the only redeeming factor in Dungeons & Dragons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"