G.I. Joe: How would you have done it?

is that a guy dressed like a baseball player back there?? awesome

as for Snake Eyes, I think what happened is they made a mold of ray parks entire head and just left the lips there...not sure why, maybe so different stuntment could wear the same helmet or???

some people keep talking about how GI Joe should be taken seriously

some serious moments I can recall from the animated series

-Snake Eyes breakdancing with neighborhood children

-Flint, Lifeline, and Wetsuit geting into full drag (wigs and makeup) to help Lady Jaye infiltrate a ladies auxiliary that was a front for COBRA

-The Viper (I'm coming to vipe your vindows)

-Bazooka being scared of heights while Alpine had to lug his ass up the side of a mountain to sneak into a COBRA base

-Cobra Commander using cotton candy as a mind control substance

Snake Eyes breakdancing in front of clubgoers not children, don't forget his wolf Timber was also shaking it's tail

-Flint, Lifeline, and Wetsuit geting into full drag (wigs and makeup) to help Lady Jaye infiltrate a ladies auxiliary that was a front for COBRA
Not entirely correct, that was a 2nd season episode in which Lady Jaye and Covergirl go incognito as cover models to disband one of Cobra's schemes.

That was a pretty action packed episode.

-Bazooka being scared of heights while Alpine had to lug his ass up the side of a mountain to sneak into a COBRA base
Every TV show needs a Laurel & Hardy.

That was all part of DIC animation studios that took over production in the 90's so don't pay attention to those episodes.

Let's not forget Cobra's brilliant plans of trying to destroy GI Joe with mutated vegetables, mind controlled animals, a funhouse, a gypsy, and a telethon.

Last edited:
That was a pretty action packed episode.

all because of a language barrier

That was all part of DIC animation studios that took over production in the 90's so don't pay attention to those episodes.

doesn't matter, it bears the GI Joe name, its part of the source material....just like Valor Vs. Venom where the Joes used paintball guns loaded with an antidote to save General Hawk...just because you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't count

Let's not forget Cobra's brilliant plans of trying to destroy GI Joe with mutated vegetables, mind controlled animals, a funhouse, a gypsy, and a telethon.
Aside from the silly plots they were still action packed episodes, everything a 10 year old would need in everyday life.

The cartoons have always been a disgrace to the franchise. I believed it as a young boy, and I believe it now.

The ONLY thing that counts as official GI Joe lore are the file cards and Marvel comic book. The comic book was fantastical at times, but was quite serious...as war tends to be.

The cartoons have always been a disgrace to the franchise. I believed it as a young boy, and I believe it now.

The ONLY thing that counts as official GI Joe lore are the file cards and Marvel comic book. The comic book was fantastical at times, but was quite serious...as war tends to be.

really?? :hehe: i'm sorry...just statements like that are amusing to me...if it bears the GI Joe name and its approved by Hasbro, its source material, just because you don't like it, doesn't invalidate it

Excuse me. . . . . . .AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!! **breathe and stop** AAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

The toys and the cartoon are the main things that most people remember! Some of you keep throwing around the comic, refusing to acknowledge that it was not the main thing driving interest in having this film made! Take all the people that have any familiarity with G.I. Joe, and the percentage of people that have ever even known about the comic, let alone given a rat's ass about its significance to the franchises, and you'll have an embarrassingly small number compared to everyone else.

The bottomline is that there is a lot of source material out there. The comics are ideal for some, as it portrays a more serious and military tone, whilst the cartoon signifies a certain level of camp that many want to avoid. Either way, no matter how 'goofy' the cartoon was, it doesn't excuse the movie adaptation from being the way it is. A live-action release such as this should never be comparable to the animated series for a number of reasons, some which includes: the size of the demographic, the overall summer blockbuster category it will ultimately be slated into, and the fact that it is PG-13, while the cartoon was rated U in some areas, and G in others. Now, I'm no expert, but if I remember correctly, a production rated G, has always reminded me of something for kids primarily... PG-13 however...

Either way, no matter how 'goofy' the cartoon was, it doesn't excuse the movie adaptation from being the way it is.

That's a rather narrow minded perception of the film. Some people like high octaine, content-light fantasies like what Sommers makes, and just because you don't like them does not invalidate them. You are acting like your opinion is objective, even though 1) you have not seen the movie, and 2) your tastes in film do not represent everyone else's, as I mentioned earlier. You are essentially saying it's inexcusable for them to make a GI Joe movie unless they make it the way you would.

The comics may have taken on a more serious approach, especially recently, but the comics have still been laden with cheesy and over the top elements for years.

I have no problem with the rating of the movie but storyline/plot is the problem and the casting too.

That's a rather narrow minded perception of the film. Some people like high octaine, content-light fantasies like what Sommers makes, and just because you don't like them does not invalidate them. You are acting like your opinion is objective, even though 1) you have not seen the movie, and 2) your tastes in film do not represent everyone else's, as I mentioned earlier. You are essentially saying it's inexcusable for them to make a GI Joe movie unless they make it the way you would.

Everything said has been a perception made after witnessing the many clips of the movie, and having read the screenplay from front to back. There is a difference between high-octane action films, and those involving concepts of all-out fantasy. My opinion was no way catered to as an objective fact, as no new assertions were made to that effect, and you may realise, that others, a significant portion of those here, had already made similar fears known several times prior. And it would be great to see the part where I said that it would be inexcusable to make the film differently than I would. Could you find that part out? All I said was that camp and goofiness of the cartoons should not be an excuse for the makers when the film's sillier aspects are criticised (which they already are). Batman and Robin was high-octane... lots of actions scenes there, but could you really excuse the silliness? :csad:

Excuse me. . . . . . .AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!! **breathe and stop** AAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

The toys and the cartoon are the main things that most people remember! Some of you keep throwing around the comic, refusing to acknowledge that it was not the main thing driving interest in having this film made! Take all the people that have any familiarity with G.I. Joe, and the percentage of people that have ever even known about the comic, let alone given a rat's ass about its significance to the franchises, and you'll have an embarrassingly small number compared to everyone else.

1)BL, the list to tacky stuff that happened on the cartoon: doesn't mean that the camp should be carried over to a live action movie. IMO, one of the primary goals of a live action translation of a cartoon should be to minimize the camp as much as possible, in favor of realism. Like any comic book adaptation to a live action movie.

2)Just because a majority of the fanbase remembers the cartoon as the primary source of material, it doesn't mean that the comics were not BETTER than the toon. Because they were.

so I agree, this film should have a more serious take on it, clearly more serious than has been displayed in any previews I have seen.

3)the advertising campaign is pathetic. Every ad should have been a GI JOE, knowing is half the battle, episode.

4)why the hell would cobra destory the eiffle tower? What possible purpose could that serve?

1)BL, the list to tacky stuff that happened on the cartoon: doesn't mean that the camp should be carried over to a live action movie. IMO, one of the primary goals of a live action translation of a cartoon should be to minimize the camp as much as possible, in favor of realism. Like any comic book adaptation to a live action movie.

2)Just because a majority of the fanbase remembers the cartoon as the primary source of material, it doesn't mean that the comics were not BETTER than the toon. Because they were.

so I agree, this film should have a more serious take on it, clearly more serious than has been displayed in any previews I have seen.

3)the advertising campaign is pathetic. Every ad should have been a GI JOE, knowing is half the battle, episode.

4)why the hell would cobra destory the eiffle tower? What possible purpose could that serve?

I wasn't even aware there were GI Joe comics until the first two animated series were off the air....a corner store was selling old issues for 25 cents apiece

COBRA has destroyed a lot of stuff....didn't they try to steal or recarve Mt. Rushmore once??

I wasn't even aware there were GI Joe comics until the first two animated series were off the air....a corner store was selling old issues for 25 cents apiece
When the comics weren't selling as good in the 90's I managed to buy up tons of back issues of G.I.Joe and Transformers for cheap.

COBRA has destroyed a lot of stuff....didn't they try to steal or recarve Mt. Rushmore once??
In a season 1 episode 'Lasers In The Night' Cobra Commander had the silliest idea to imprint his face with a laser beam onto the moon. :whatever:

You probably got the Mt. Rushmore incident from Superman 2 when the Kryptonian villians destroy the monument.

what's the name of the episode where the Joes corssdress? and the one with Breakdancing Snake Eyes? (Hasbro I demand an action figure of Breakdancing Snake Eyes)

what's the name of the episode where the Joes corssdress? and the one with Breakdancing Snake Eyes? (Hasbro I demand an action figure of Breakdancing Snake Eyes)
Heh you silly guy, that was in the season one 5-part miniseries Pyramid Of Darkness in which both Shipwreck and Snake Eyes are aided by a nighclub singer by the name of Satin to get back to their headquarters.

The cross dressing sequence happens when SW and SE have to put on disguises to cross a Cobra outpost, Shipwreck wears an Elton John type of outfit and Snakes dresses up as a Boy George type of guy, hilarity ensues!

A partial list of actors who, in my opinion, might have decent

Duke: Tom Jane, Mark Valley
Scarlett: Tricia Helfer
Lady Jaye: Jill Wagner, Gabrielle Anwar
Roadblock: Terry Crews
Shipwreck: Lou Diamond Philips (maybe too old), Freddy Rodriguez
Gung-Ho: 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin
General Hawk: Tom Selleck, Tom Berenger, Tom Skerritt

Cobra Commander (with blue hood): Michael Wincott
Baroness: Monica Bellucci, Sophie Marceau, Olga Kurylenko or Milla Jovovich

Characters like Snake-Eyes, Storm Shadow, FireFly, and Zartan could be played by anyone becuase I wouldn't have them show their faces (so long as SS is Asian and Zartan has an aussie accent)

Heh you silly guy, that was in the season one 5-part miniseries Pyramid Of Darkness in which both Shipwreck and Snake Eyes are aided by a nighclub singer by the name of Satin to get back to their headquarters.

The cross dressing sequence happens when SW and SE have to put on disguises to cross a Cobra outpost, Shipwreck wears an Elton John type of outfit and Snakes dresses up as a Boy George type of guy, hilarity ensues!

I'm a bit rusty on my Joe knowledge... but thanks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"