G.I. Joe: How would you have done it?

It looks to me as if it's gonna' be another Transformers. Visually stunning and good enough for a fresh audience, but leaving the original audience a bit in the dust.

It looks to me as if it's gonna' be another Transformers. Visually stunning and good enough for a fresh audience, but leaving the original audience a bit in the dust.

to the tune of over a billion dollars, in the case of Transformers....Im sure Paramount and Hasbro can live with themselves

1)BL, the list to tacky stuff that happened on the cartoon: doesn't mean that the camp should be carried over to a live action movie.

There's nothing to indicate that it has. So Ripcord is cracking a few jokes. My point is, whatever people who have reservations about this film think is campy pales in comparison to the cartoon, which is what most people with any knowledge of GI Joe as a property are familiar with. I wouldn't even be surprised if the number of people who still don't even know GI Joe started out as a generic soldier doll in the 60s, was bigger than the number of fans of the comic book.

2)Just because a majority of the fanbase remembers the cartoon as the primary source of material, it doesn't mean that the comics were not BETTER than the toon. Because they were.

I never claimed the cartoon was better than the comics, but you're delluding yourself if you think there aren't more people familiar with the cartoon than the comic, and that's the fanbase most likely influencing the film being made in the first place.

3)the advertising campaign is pathetic. Every ad should have been a GI JOE, knowing is half the battle, episode.

Huh? What?!

4)why the hell would cobra destory the eiffle tower? What possible purpose could that serve?

Gee, what else would TERRORISTS do?!?!? Maybe my understanding TERRORISM is just really off-base! Of course there's nothing TERRORIZING about destroying a national monument, and potentially killing scores of innocent people!

Why did terrorists destroy the WTC? Aside from the people inside, I mean. It's about sending a message. That message is, we are going to destroy a symbol of what you hold dear.

Who cares if they leave the old audience in the dust. They got tons of money plus new audience is what matters anyways.

Snake Eyes and Shipwreck dancing

gijoe1.jpg

couldn't get a clear pic of SE in drag but these will have to do.

gijoe2.jpg

because a purple blazer makes you blend in completely, even if you are wearing a mask

I skimmed through the official movie comic adaption several times at the comic shop I work at, and for the most part, I thought it was pretty damn good. So I think this movie will be good.

That being said, there are several things that I would have liked to see changed or left out of the movie if I was making it or had the power to say "NO" to.

1. The whole Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity international crap would have either been dropped completely and be made solely into a special U.S. milatary force just like the American comic. I would have also made all of the members of the team (regardless of their ethnic background,race,or country of birth) American citizens.

2. I would not have changed the race or ethnic backgrounds of any of the characters (I'm talking about Ripcord and Breaker) and would have used actual JOE members of different racial and ethnic groups as part of the team.

3. Baroness should not have been (a) American (b) Cobra Commander's sister (c) Duke's ex girlfriend (although I don't have that big a problem with them having had a past relationship) and (d) mind controlled by CC.

4. This movie should not have been set 10 years in the future, but in the present day.

5. I would have hired Wesley Snipes (if he was'nt in jail) to play Stalker and Michael Clark Dunken to play Roadblock.

6. I would have nixed the whole Hollywood cliched Scarlet/Ripcord romance and went went with the Snake Eyes/Scarlet romance from the comics.

7. This is more wishful thinking on my part, and is very possible in any possible sequels, but I hope (a) Storm Shadow actually manages to survive his "fatal" battle with Snake Eyes (b) SS was revealed to be under the mind control of CC and (c) SS becomes a good guy and joins the JOES like he did in the comics.

Pretty much keep it the the same, except give Baroness her accent and she should stay bad.... pretty good popcorn film overall

I would've made it alot more serious. I agree with others are saying about giving it a more espionage Tom Clancy-esque feel. Get rid of the silly gadgets and weapons.

The toys and the cartoon are the main things that most people remember! Some of you keep throwing around the comic, refusing to acknowledge that it was not the main thing driving interest in having this film made! Take all the people that have any familiarity with G.I. Joe, and the percentage of people that have ever even known about the comic, let alone given a rat's ass about its significance to the franchises, and you'll have an embarrassingly small number compared to everyone else.

I actually saw the comic as the TRUE storyline and the cartoon as just an inaccurate portrayal of the characters. The comic actually became the guiding force on the G.I.Joe mythology primarily since Larry Hama's writing influenced both the storyline and toyline and these became interconnected at some points. e.g Did the cartoon every explain the Arashikage logo on Stormshadow or Snake Eyes action figures? or Stormshadow's defection to the GIJoe team? All this happened in the comic, so it's significance to the franchise is more valid than the cartoon ever was.

Blade X said:
7. This is more wishful thinking on my part, and is very possible in any possible sequels, but I hope (a) Storm Shadow actually manages to survive his "fatal" battle with Snake Eyes (b) SS was revealed to be under the mind control of CC and (c) SS becomes a good guy and joins the JOES like he did in the comics.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Stormshadow isn't evil in the traditional sense and since his current status on being with Cobra is based on him being brainwashed, only proves that Stormshadow has the potential to revert back to being on the Joe team and I hope that's shown in future sequels.

-More militarily based with a recast of Duke, but keep Ripcord and everyone else

-Better CGI sequences

-Cobra organization is present the entire movie, but little hints are dropped throughout the course of the film until it is revealed that CC was closer to the Joes than they realized. The Cobra group should have people everywhere and be playing through Destro's company and others to support their funding similar to Quantum in the new Bond series. (No origins for how Cobra came into being)

-Snake Eyes should not have a mouth and his origins along with Storm Shadows should have just been shown all at once and not as two children fighting over food and Eyes should have spoken as a child instead of being a mute.

-No love story between Baroness and Duke

-Baroness is not related to Cobra Commander and she is naturally evil with no brainwashing influence

-No underwater base for Destro

-Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow's battle is more traditional and not as death defying which ends with Shadow making a narrow escape, but able to fight another day. Storm Shadow should feel he's getting something out of working for Cobra, but eventually want his own loan path without following anyone's direction and authority.

-Better written dialogue, while keeping some cheesy one liners

-Keep the Zartan as president twist

-More militarily based with a recast of Duke, but keep Ripcord and everyone else
Agreed, less flash and more substance.

-Better CGI sequences
Better CGI but for me personally, LESS CGI. I thought the CGI was fine but if one person thinks it can be better then it needs to be. I would have liked to see less of the CGI/technology driven/sci-fi G.I. Joe until the military facet was better established. Perhaps the accerator suits and other such things would have been better suited for a sequel.

-Cobra organization is present the entire movie, but little hints are dropped throughout the course of the film until it is revealed that CC was closer to the Joes than they realized. The Cobra group should have people everywhere and be playing through Destro's company and others to support their funding similar to Quantum in the new Bond series. (No origins for how Cobra came into being)
I feel the opposite. If thinking in terms of a trilogy, the first movie should've been more about G.I. Joe being assembled to combat this mysterious organization. Granted, that's kinda how it was but the Duke/Baroness relationship kinds killed this movie for me.

-Snake Eyes should not have a mouth and his origins along with Storm Shadows should have just been shown all at once and not as two children fighting over food and Eyes should have spoken as a child instead of being a mute.
Yeah, I'd have remained more true to Hama's original Snake Eye's story and the entire original story as well.

-No love story between Baroness and Duke
Agree. I mean, WTF? It's supposed to be a Duke-Scarlett-Snake Eyes love triangle. Not Ripcord-Scarlett-Snake Eyes and Duke/Baroness.

-Baroness is not related to Cobra Commander and she is naturally evil with no brainwashing influence
Agreed. Again, I like the original story. I believe it was that while in Vietnam... Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, and Stalker raided some compound and Baroness' brother. Can't remember if her brother was part of Snake Eyes group or one of the opposition. Eventually Snake Eyes was the one tried for her brothers death and Destro served as one of the attorny's, I believe he was Snake Eyes defense attorny. THAT was how Destro/Baroness became acquainted and THAT is why she hates the military. Of course, if they go that route it kinda makes it all about Snake Eyes, especially with his ties to Cobra Commander. It's kinda difficult to make a movie about a faceless mute and it's probably why they changed it so drastically. But still, it could've been done differently and more true to the source material.

-No underwater base for Destro
Why not? That was damn near the best part.

-Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow's battle is more traditional and not as death defying which ends with Shadow making a narrow escape, but able to fight another day. Storm Shadow should feel he's getting something out of working for Cobra, but eventually want his own loan path without following anyone's direction and authority.
Ok. Did Storm Shadow die or not? It sure looked like he did and if he did, well... that's just plain stupid. I didn't like the Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow fight at all. It was built up too quick and really happened too soon.

-Better written dialogue, while keeping some cheesy one liners
Dialogue wasn't bad considering what the G.I Joe of the '80's was. Less lines for Ripcord and the whole Duke/Ripcord buddy buddy thing could go.

-Keep the Zartan as president twist
Totally agree with.

Never would've done it in the first place. Anyone who was a fan of the 80s cartoons & even the comic series, should ignore it & the sequel they made, utter piece of steaming, pile, of garbage!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"