• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BvS Gal Gadot IS Wonder Woman! - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
302, cap 2, asm 2 ... it's been a mediocre year for CBMs so far.

With no evidence that anybody other than Emma Stone can act.

I'm not as into Cap 2 as most, but it doesn't belong on that list. I haven't seen ASM 2, so I can't comment on that one.

302, cap 2, asm 2 ... it's been a mediocre year for CBMs so far.

With no evidence that anybody other than Emma Stone can act.

nevermind_nathan_fillion.gif

The thing is, we've had various ultra celebrated cbms in the past and this thing has never been an issue. Sure it could be better but just what is it you think of the films we have gotten. If you were ok with, why does the buck stop here?

Also, Hopkins and Redford are super celebrated actors and it's not like they are turning oscar work. I believe Glen Close is Guardians....Just what caliber of acting are we demanding from them...I'd say it's somewhere in the Gal range.

Yes Heath got a best supporting nod, but there is a reason why he's the only one. That reason hasn't stopped us from deconstructing what has been wrong with the genre for the past 40 years however. Will smith was great in ID4. Paul Walker was great in fast. Sometimes it's not about an acting class but rather embodying the character. I for one don't think Wondy is beyond Gal. Especially under Snyder's direction(tends to yield bold performances).

Ruffulo does great work as banner(legions of fans will attest) but it's easily some of his poorer work given his pedigree. My point is why is it all of a sudden some requirement that the acting go beyond that or fail? I assume this has something to do with the fact that it's WB and Snyder and they are always going to be scrutinized for everything and held to some higher standard unlike the rest?

Last edited:
Cap 2 and ASM are both entertaining CBMs IMO. No where near mediocre. Now for Guardians of the Galaxy. :D

I'm not as into Cap 2 as most, but it doesn't belong on that list. I haven't seen ASM 2, so I can't comment on that one.

Cap 2 was good but not great. A fun but dumb action movie. 302 was close to that, and asm 2 was dumb and less fun.

A mediocre year indeed, though I guess I was a little harsh ... eva green was also a good actress.

DOFP is my most anticipated but Cap 2 was fantastic IMO.

Disagree. Anyone who is a fan of movies would know exactly who she was.

Disagree all you want, all you had to do was walk out on the street and ask 100 random people at that time and get the same answer... being a well-rooted movie fan familiar with academy award winning films that generally don't have large box office viewings does not equate to the general populace knowing who a particular actor is at all. Being in a good film does not equal being in a blockbuster and being well known...sometimes, very thankfully so.
Paquin was only well known to a niche group of movie buffs at the time, and good on you for being in that group.
We are splitting hairs though over the fact that for the most part Gal is unknown to many of the GA being the point, and unknowns have still succeeded in making a good go at these characters in the past.
Zack has a certain vision he expects Gal to achieve and embody in his take on the WW character, that vision has been accomplished pretty well so far.

The thing is, we've had various ultra celebrated cbms in the past and this thing has never been an issue. Sure it could be better but just what is it you think of the films we have gotten. If you were ok with, why does the buck stop here?

Also, Hopkins and Redford are super celebrated actors and it's not like they are turning oscar work. I believe Glen Close is Guardians....Just what caliber of acting are we demanding from them...I'd say it's somewhere in the Gal range.

Yes Heath got a best supporting nod, but there is a reason why he's the only one. That reason hasn't stopped us from deconstructing what has been wrong with the genre for the past 40 years however. Will smith was great in ID4. Paul Walker was great in fast. Sometimes it's not about an acting class but rather embodying the character. I for one don't think Wondy is beyond Gal. Especially under Snyder's direction(tends to yield bold performances).

I don't think WW is beyond Gal. I agree with that part.

But I don't think "The movie won't have oscar worthy writing and therefore doesn't need high caliber actors" is a good defense for her. This movie can have writing that good and when they picked Gal for the role, they should have been thinking she could handle whatever they throw at her. Of course, WW might be a supporting role, so she might have to handle less than other actors in the film.

I don't see any reason for them to think that just because it's a CBM, they only have to rise to a certain level. I expect more from DC since the Dark Knight and hope they at least try. MOS tried to the best of Goyer's abilities and I appreciated that. That is literally why I prefer DC nowadays. They try to make their CBMs more than the typical CBM. I really hope they don't give up now when they have Terrio on board.

Cap 2 was good but not great. A fun but dumb action movie. 302 was close to that, and asm 2 was dumb and less fun.

A mediocre year indeed, though I guess I was a little harsh ... eva green was also a good actress.

I-See-What-You-Did-There-Cat.jpg

The thing that gives me hope for Gal is that unknowns usually do much better in CBMs than known actors (Hemsworth, Hiddleston, Cavill, Jackman as opposed to Affleck, Clooney, Norton).

But I don't think "The movie won't have oscar worthy writing and therefore doesn't need high caliber actors" is a good defense for her. This movie can have writing that good and when they picked Gal for the role, they should have been thinking she could handle whatever they throw at her. Of course, WW might be a supporting role, so she might have to handle less than other actors in the film.

I don't see any reason for them to think that just because it's a CBM, they only have to rise to a certain level. I expect more from DC since the Dark Knight and hope they at least try. MOS tried to the best of Goyer's abilities and I appreciated that. That is literally why I prefer DC nowadays. They try to make their CBMs more than the typical CBM. I really hope they don't give up now when they have Terrio on board.

The fact that they hired Terrio suggests that they have not given up.

With that said, people should not dismiss her acting in the FnF films on the basis that those are beneath CBMs. They're not.

The fact that they hired Terrio suggests that they have not given up.

With that said, people should not dismiss her acting in the FnF films on the basis that those are beneath CBMs. They're not.

I agree to an extent. The Fast movies aren't beneath the majority of CBMs, but they are beneath some. I think it would be very odd to put the Dark Knight on the same level as the Fast movies, for example.

I agree to an extent. The Fast movies aren't beneath the majority of CBMs, but they are beneath some. I think it would be very odd to put the Dark Knight on the same level as the Fast movies, for example.

Right, but there have been ~50 CBMs and only 6 FnF movies.

Right, but there have been ~50 CBMs and only 6 FnF movies.

Fair enough. But my point is that there are a couple CBMs that the majority of folks would probably consider better written/acted than the Fast movies.

I've yet to see any of these cbms meet the oscar standard for 'writing'. Not so much as a matter of opinion but the simple fact that none of them have been nominated.....yet they frequent many favorite/best of lists none the less.

I see now you have your own personal standard(for this one film) but I'm actually talking about the accepted and celebrated standard of what we have been given to this very day. Cap 2 is one of the most celebrated cbms in recent history and Widow and Rogers and the rest of their supporting cast aren't exactly putting on acting shows. The cast of Star Trek 2009 did wonderful work according to lots of people..none of which is beyond that of Gal imo.

^ I do indeed have my own standards and I see no reason for them not to strive to be better than what is "the norm." The norm is safe and boring.

Also, Heath was nominated. While he was nominated for acting, it certainly helped that the Joker was very well written. That's the kind of stuff I want more of. Bring it, BvsS!

There's been some good writing in CBMs, but it's the exception.

It doesn't have to be that way. CBMs are among the most expensive movies out there. Maybe some of that money should go to decent writers.

The day that a CBM combines intense comic-style action/great CGI with an amazing script/writing is the day a CBM makes 2 billion at the box office.

Cavil not putting on an acting class hasn't stopped his various fans from enjoying him...I see similar in store for Gal.

I do assume people are expecting some oscar caliber work from Affleck and Cavil this next go round as well? Or is it just Gal...

Cavil not putting on an acting class hasn't stopped his various fans from enjoying him...I see similar in store for Gal.

I do assume people are expecting some oscar caliber work from Affleck and Cavil this next go round as well? Or is it just Gal...

I'm expecting them all to be as good as the material they get from the writers and I hope they get some damn good material.

Cavill's acting was a huge step up from Routh and Welling, and unlike Gadot he looks like his part.

I think Affleck has a better chance of an Oscar for directing than acting. It will be movie like Gone Girl where he might have a chance of acting success for awards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"