• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

BvS Gal Gadot IS Wonder Woman! - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
^Yeah I bet 50% of the time Cavil was Superman was digital capture.

I think he is just disappointed that an actress of note wasn't chosen for the premier female character. Characters like Black Widow, Rogue, Cat Woman etc have had good actresses chosen. Gadot is a relatively unknown quantity and not an actress of similar quality to say Ann Hathaway.

Rogue was an unknown at her first go, so was Hugh's Logan for that matter when it came to the big screen... we saw how the x-men run turned out, I don't have much doubt this will go well.

I'll admit that if I had the choice between Gadot and a more experienced actress (someone as well known as Hathaway was for TDKR) for the part, I'd choose the more experienced actress. It's less of a gamble. Of the choices that were rumored, I would have liked Olga Kurylenko. However, everyone has to start somewhere. Someone being an unknown doesn't mean they'll be terrible.

Let's forget Reeve's stage career. Without that, he was basically an unknown :)

Let's also forget Sean Connery (although he had the Longest day before Dr No)

Or Alan Rickman during Die-Hard

I'm not saying Gal will kill it, but I really am hoping she will.

Rogue was an unknown at her first go, so was Hugh's Logan for that matter when it came to the big screen...
Anna won an Oscar at like 7 and was on She's All That, a big teen comedy, a couple years before X-Men. She was not an unknown. Hugh on the other hand was.

Rogue was an unknown at her first go, so was Hugh's Logan for that matter when it came to the big screen... we saw how the x-men run turned out, I don't have much doubt this will go well.

She was an academy award winning actress for The Piano 1993 a full 7 years before the first Xmen. She also appeared in a few more films between the Piano and Xmen.

I kind of hate how some people hold her other job as a model against her as an actress.

Sure, there have been a few cases where it's gone pretty bad, but also some where it's gone great. Hell, are like, half the actors and actresses in Hollywood former models?

quick list of actors good and bad who started out as models this is a very short like in a min 30 sec search.

Ashton Kusher
Mark Walberg
Ian Somerhalder
Victoria justice
Jennifer Lawrence
Channing Tatum
Olivia Wilde
Lindsey Lohan
Kirsten Dunst
Cameron Diaz
Vanessa Williams
Femka Jenssen
Bridgete Moynahan
Rebecca Romijn
Milla Jovoich
Monica Bellucci
Halle Berry
Andie MacDowell
Uma Thurman
Gwyneth Paltrow
Rachel Weisz
Boris Kodjoe
Angelina Jolie

Let's forget Reeve's stage career. Without that, he was basically an unknown :)

Let's also forget Sean Connery (although he had the Longest day before Dr No)

Or Alan Rickman during Die-Hard

I'm not saying Gal will kill it, but I really am hoping she will.

Indeed. An unknown does not guarantee a bad performance.

I'll admit that if I had the choice between Gadot and a more experienced actress (someone as well known as Hathaway was for TDKR) for the part, I'd choose the more experienced actress. It's less of a gamble. Of the choices that were rumored, I would have liked Olga Kurylenko. However, everyone has to start somewhere. Someone being an unknown doesn't mean they'll be terrible.

Oh, totally. I didn't really have a top choice, but the one I liked most prior to this casting was Emily Blunt.
And of the short list, I too would have chosen Olga(I think she has a terrific look for the character. Maybe even a little more than Gadot and she's a decent enough actress). But hey, we got Gadot. Hopefully she's good.

Like the fast and furious characters, it's not like these characters and their material is under oscar scrutiny. They just embody the characters or they don't.
Barring some difficult scenes here and there(see Garfield).

Blade is my favorite anything in these cbms and it's not like Wes is putting on an acting show(himself a great and trained actor). They simply need to embody the character.

People seemingly at like this is Sophie's choice or something.

No one is saying they're expecting an oscar winning performance, but that doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't expect a good performance.

Like you said, as long as they portray the character well, that's what matters. I could care less if her future roles aren't that good. I just want her to play a good Wonder Woman.

She was an academy award winning actress for The Piano 1993 a full 7 years before the first Xmen. She also appeared in a few more films between the Piano and Xmen.

Let's not split hairs...she could have been in 20 movies prior to x-men. you asked anyone on the street if they new who Anna Paquin was prior to 2000 and you get shoulder shrugs.

At the end of the day, everyone needs to start somewhere. Everyone was an unknown at some point in their career.

Let's not split hairs...she could have been in 20 movies prior to x-men. you asked anyone on the street if they new who Anna Paquin was prior to 2000 and you get shoulder shrugs.

Disagree. Anyone who is a fan of movies would know exactly who she was.

At the end of the day, everyone needs to start somewhere. Everyone was an unknown at some point in their career.

Agreed but not many get such huge roles so early in their career. Hopefully she will do for Wonder Woman what Reeve did for Superman.

Oh, totally. I didn't really have a top choice, but the one I liked most prior to this casting was Emily Blunt.
And of the short list, I too would have chosen Olga(I think she has a terrific look for the character. Maybe even a little more than Gadot and she's a decent enough actress). But hey, we got Gadot. Hopefully she's good.

I liked Blunt for this too. Although, I have a thing for Blunt and would probably like her for anything, lol.

Like the fast and furious characters, it's not like these characters and their material is under oscar scrutiny. They just embody the characters or they don't.
Barring some difficult scenes here and there(see Garfield).

Blade is my favorite anything in these cbms and it's not like Wes is putting on an acting show(himself a great and trained actor). They simply need to embody the character.

People seemingly at like this is Sophie's choice or something.

While I am rooting for Gadot and think what you're saying is true for most CBMs, I don't like this reasoning for this movie.

Why can't this material be under oscar scrutiny? Why can't Terrio help write a great script and give us some truly great character moments? I want him to do just that. Although I don't know how Affleck and Gadot will turn out, Cavill did well with any heavy emotional scenes they gave him for MOS. Eisenberg has handled some great material too. I want them to write some great scenes that challenge these people. Even if WW is a supporting role, they can throw a few great lines her way too. If the Dark Knight taught us anything, it's that comic book movies can be treated like legit dramas/thrillers. I want more characters written as well as the Joker was in that move. There's no need to just keep it to generic "I'm going to stop you!" action movie dialogue. I expect better this time and I want all the actors to make the most of what they get.

I'm all for giving unknown people a chance, but I don't like this "the material isn't oscar level so we don't need great actors" reasoning. It should and can be that good. And if they picked their actors because they're not anticipating they'll have to act, shame on them. I expect them to act and I expect the writers to give them that chance.

I think that "it's not oscar material so we don't need great actors" line actually cheapens this whole genre. CBM are no longer the cheesy ones they once were. Sure, they're fun escapes, but they are also a lot more serious.

I think that "it's not oscar material so we don't need great actors" line actually cheapens this whole genre. CBM are no longer the cheesy ones they once were. Sure, they're fun escapes, but they are also a lot more serious.

Most CBMs remain quite dumb.

^ They don't need to. I don't want them to and hope this one isn't.

Really I could care less if the actor is a good actor in all as long as they fantastically play the role they are in. What do I care if they have an Oscar if they play the role I want them to play well ******? I don't care about there acting ability for their other films. I care about their aptitude for the film I want to see.

I'm glad the MCU films are getting some pretty high profile actors.
Hope this film is as good. To me, there's a lot riding on this film.

302, cap 2, asm 2 ... it's been a mediocre year for CBMs so far.

With no evidence that anybody other than Emma Stone can act.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"