Game of Thrones - Book Readers' Thread - - - - - - - - Part 25

Yeah, absolutely! I think a large part of the problem with GOT isn't the beats themselves, but how they were presented. Admittedly, I didn't think I'd be back caring this much about Westeros in 2022, but we do have HOTD to thank for that. :D
Yeah, I don't think Dany succumbing to the same madness that plagued her family or Bran being named king are bad story choices, they just needed more time to cook. Hell, I'm fully on board with the idea of an omnipresent all-knowing king provided he isn't all smug about it. :o

came-all-this-way-bran-the-broken.gif

As for jumping back into that world, I'm the same way. As soon as HOTD's first season wrapped up I immediately went to Barnes and Noble to pick up a copy of Fire & Blood, much like how I jumped into reading A Song of Ice and Fire as soon as GOT's first season ended.

I don't even get how Martin could have anywhere near close to the same ending as the show at this point. I mean wasn't his whole point about the White Walkers that they aren't just some evil dark lord type enemy?

I don't even get how Martin could have anywhere near close to the same ending as the show at this point. I mean wasn't his whole point about the White Walkers that they aren't just some evil dark lord type enemy?
In theory, yes. In practice, they haven't really done anything in the books and we didn't really get any backstory on them. It always felt like the showrunners didn't know what to do with the White Walkers because the books didn't do much with them either.

Hope this one happens so the Cavill/Hemsworth fancasters have their hopes crushed.

Hope this one happens so the Cavill/Hemsworth fancasters have their hopes crushed.

Would it not make more sense to adapt this story in House of the Dragon after they're done with the Dance of the Dragons to make it a kind of anthology series?

Would it not make more sense to adapt this story in House of the Dragon after they're done with the Dance of the Dragons to make it a kind of anthology series?
The only thing I could imagine is that they’ve ditched that idea and want a fresh start to tell Aegon I’s story. Which I kind of get.

If the Dance is going to last 3-4 seasons, maintaining that title for something like Aegon will just make it feel like sloppy seconds.

The only thing I could imagine is that they’ve ditched that idea and want a fresh start to tell Aegon I’s story. Which I kind of get.

If the Dance is going to last 3-4 seasons, maintaining that title for something like Aegon will just make it feel like sloppy seconds.
Fair that they want to strike while the iron is hot. I can also see them calling it House of the Dragon: Aegon's Conquest or something like that to keep the brand name.

I think it'd be odd to have two Targaryen prequel shows on at once. Is there really that much that would differentiate the two to casual viewers? I can see it getting really confusing for a lot of people, and like with Star Wars might lead to diminishing returns. Having just one show at a time keeps it special.

I think it'd be odd to have two Targaryen prequel shows on at once. Is there really that much that would differentiate the two to casual viewers? I can see it getting really confusing for a lot of people, and like with Star Wars might lead to diminishing returns. Having just one show at a time keeps it special.
To be fair, they don’t have a writer on board yet. It could be something they’re planning post-HOTD.

No. Going 4 seasons then switching it up would be confusing. Just make it its own thing

I think it does. One is about conquering the 7 kingdoms. The other is about the beginning of the end for the lineage

No. Going 4 seasons then switching it up would be confusing. Just make it its own thing

I think it does. One is about conquering the 7 kingdoms. The other is about the beginning of the end for the lineage
"House of the Dragon" is a pretty broad title that can cover multiple aspects of the Targaryens through the years. They could keep it going as a pseudo-anthology series. I actually thought that's what the original plan was and they were tackling the Dance first.

"House of the Dragon" is a pretty broad title that can cover multiple aspects of the Targaryens through the years. They could keep it going as a pseudo-anthology series. I actually thought that's what the original plan was and they were tackling the Dance first.

They could subtitle it but HotD can cover as much as GoT can title wise.

But it needs a slight rebrand either way

Actors Join the Strike! | Not a Blog

And, yes, yes, of course, I’ve been working on WINDS OF WINTER. Almost every day. Writing, rewriting, editing, writing some more. Making steady progress. Not as fast as I would like.. .certainly not as fast as YOU would like… but progress nonetheless.

Such a promising non-update...

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I'm making the prediction that GRRM doesn't finish the books. I see this series going down as the great "could-have-been" of literature. When he's gone, everyone will say how great it could have been, but we'll never know. There will be story notes, but who knows if he means to follow them. But, it's hard to look at him, knowing how much story needs to be resolved, and feel that he will be able to finish the series.

Uuuuunleeeeeessssss, the rumors are to be believed and the next book is actually done, which has been whispered for some time. Maybe it's done and the publisher is waiting for the final book to be done, also. A two book announcement at once could set the fan world into a frenzy. But that's more wishful thinking on my part.

If he doesn't finish the series, anyone have any suggestions for who best to take on his notes and end the the whole shebang? My vote would be Dan Simmons. Between The Terror and Prayers for Broken Stones, I feel that he has the ability to take on the challenge. Would he be interested? Probably not.

I don't know who I'd want to finish it if GRRM didn't. I think I'd be pretty annoyed if WoW was done all this time, and they were just waiting for ADOS to be close to finished as well to announce 2 books at once. Can't say I love that theory.

Finally, the book we've all been waiting for!

joker-laughing-at-the-stage-joaquin-phoenix-no4yregi0090lylm.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"