Game of Thrones - Book Readers' Thread - - - - - Part 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next week, at Castle Black:

[YT]FAJHGnL8BSo[/YT]

Damn good episode over all. A few things off the bat:

Did anyone else find an interesting contrast between what happens with Tyrion and the Dragons and what happened to Quentin? We had essentially the same situation, but the show elected to go with a more traditional "fairy tale" situation, in where suddenly the vicious beasts trust the good guy. And while I thought the Quentin arc in the books was largely pointless, what happened to him was much more in keeping with GRRM's style of telling a story. I thought this scene in some ways summed up the main differences between the books and the show.

...Unless of course Tyrion does have some Targ blood in him, then maybe that's why the dragons were cool with him. :)

I was intrigued by Euron. Is the cut how he's going to get the eyepatch? Or are they electing to skip the eyepatch altogether?

And dat ending do. HELLS YES! We all knew it was coming, but it was still damn nice to see. Can't wait to see the showdown of the Bastards later this season.

I guess I am alone in thinking [blackout]Roose's death was stupid. It was rushed as **** just like Dorne and once again D&D hate great actors. McElhatton didn't even care anymore. Not to mention... Revenge for the Red Wedding.. So far... Tywin and Roose have been killed by their sons. The only revenge we have left now is Walder Frey, and let's face it... the only acceptable death for him would be Arya going ape **** on him or ..Gods be good....Lady Stoneheart.[/blackout]

What I would have done:

[blackout]Ramsay kills Roose by poisoning so that it's less obvious to people that could betray him. Do it and the hit on Walda before Jon revival. Throw in the Winterfell is mine line. Have Ramsay claim it was a wildling infiltrators.[/blackout]

I guess I am alone in thinking [blackout]Roose's death was stupid. It was rushed as **** just like Dorne and once again D&D hate great actors. McElhatton didn't even care anymore. Not to mention... Revenge for the Red Wedding.. So far... Tywin and Roose have been killed by their sons. The only revenge we have left now is Walder Frey, and let's face it... the only acceptable death for him would be Arya going ape **** on him or ..Gods be good....Lady Stoneheart.[/blackout]

I did think it was a bit rushed, but also not exactly something that hasn't been foreshadowed heavily, so it wasn't something that bugged me as much as Dorne, which really did reek (see what I did there?) of lazy writing.

And in terms of revenge...I don't really see that as this show or GRRM's style. So far, none of the really despicable baddies have met their end in a "good guy getting the revenge" kind of way. Joffrey wasn't killed by one of the Starks, Tywin wasn't killed by a Stark...though to be fair, Tyrion killing Tywin was a bit of the good guy getting revenge. But even then, it wasn't the typical revenge plot, because Tyrion was his son, and there was a lot more going on there besides the normal "you wronged me and now I'm getting you back." It was much more tragic. I mean, heck, the whole Red Viper thing is essentially GRRM's take on how he thinks the driven revenge plot would turn out, so there ya go.

well... [blackout]what the **** is Ramsay going to tell people anyways? he said to send the ravens blah blah... but what about Walda and a baby being eaten alive by the hounds? no one noticed? nothing? there will be unrest in Winterfell just like the books IMO.[/blackout]

Eh it was true GOT fashion. **** happens and people die suddenly. Some people die without pomp and circumstance. Betrayed by his evil bastard, bleeding out on a filthy floor after hearing he had a true born heir knowing it would be slaughtered that's pretty much what he deserved. Not sure what else they needed to do with it.

But I understand why the suddeness of it could be offputting and sully it for you.

I did think it was a bit rushed, but also not exactly something that hasn't been foreshadowed heavily, so it wasn't something that bugged me as much as Dorne, which really did reek (see what I did there?) of lazy writing.

And in terms of revenge...I don't really see that as this show or GRRM's style. So far, none of the really despicable baddies have met their end in a "good guy getting the revenge" kind of way. Joffrey wasn't killed by one of the Starks, Tywin wasn't killed by a Stark...though to be fair, Tyrion killing Tywin was a bit of the good guy getting revenge. But even then, it wasn't the typical revenge plot, because Tyrion was his son, and there was a lot more going on there besides the normal "you wronged me and now I'm getting you back." It was much more tragic. I mean, heck, the whole Red Viper thing is essentially GRRM's take on how he thinks the driven revenge plot would turn out, so there ya go.

Walder Frey is coming back for a reason :cmad:

well... [blackout]what the **** is Ramsay going to tell people anyways? he said to send the ravens blah blah... but what about Walda and a baby being eaten alive by the hounds? no one noticed? nothing? there will be unrest in Winterfell just like the books IMO.[/blackout]

This is true, but on the same token, I think that's sort of the point. If you watch the behind the scenes thing after the show, they talk about the main difference between Ramsay and Roose is that Roose planned out everything he did meticulously. Ramsay doesn't.

Walder Frey is coming back for a reason :cmad:

We already know how his plot line ends though. He apologizes for being a *****e and gets sentenced to serve as the Hogwarts janitor for 20 years.

What I would have done:

[blackout]Ramsay kills Roose by poisoning so that it's less obvious to people that could betray him. Do it and the hit on Walda before Jon revival. Throw in the Winterfell is mine line. Have Ramsay claim it was a wildling infiltrators.[/blackout]

He's a flayer, I think a knife with googly psycho eyes is more his style.

Terrific episode. I did not see any of that coming. And the part with the kennels. Someone needs to gut that guy already.

And the ending. Wow! I knew it was going to happen but not this soon.

Eh it was true GOT fashion. **** happens and people die suddenly. Some people die without pomp and circumstance. Betrayed by his evil bastard, bleeding out on a filthy floor after hearing he had a true born heir knowing it would be slaughtered that's pretty much what he deserved. Not sure what else they needed to do with it.

But I understand why the suddeness of it could be offputting and sully it for you.

...Book Ramsay wouldn't dare do this lol

Thank you Reek.

Ramsay out Ramsay'd himself tonight.

You don't have to thank me... I do as m'lord commands.

There's another spoiler about episode 9... if anyone wants to know... Not sure if its legit... but I trust the man. :o

There's another spoiler about episode 9... if anyone wants to know... Not sure if its legit... but I trust the man. :o

Ill take all the spoilers you can send me.

...Book Ramsay wouldn't dare do this lol

Book Ramsay can't destroy Stannis's war machine, make him burn his daughter, and drive his wife to suicide with only 20 good men. Book Ramsay is a weak *****.:o

Looks like Free Folk is the place to get spoilers now ;) .

Please let Tormund become one of [blackout]Jon's[/blackout] right-hand men. Love that guy so much.

Last edited:
Yea Tormund is great... hahah i lost my **** when i saw those commercials he's in wearing that blue suit :funny:

Please let Tormund become one of [blackout]Jon's[/blackout] right-hand men. Love that guy so much.

[BLACKOUT]Jon[/BLACKOUT], Davos, and Tormund. The Triumvirate of the North.

Oh and I hope [BLACKOUT]Jon[/BLACKOUT] pays Ollie and Thorne a visit next week.:twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"