The Last Jedi General Episode VIII News/Speculation/SPOILER Thread - - - - - Part 14

It's been nearly four years. Crazy.

The film that 'broke' Star Wars. Gets better with every watch. Best film of the Disney era, best Star Wars film since before I was born. I'm glad it ended with some finality too after TROS.

People can justifiably complain about some of the creative choices Johnson went with in The Last Jedi all they want, but it's still a far more coherent movie than The Rise of Skywalker. And for all the crap that people give it, The Last Jedi still has more than a handful of great moments. I'll never not love Luke reuniting with R2 in the Falcon, the Yoda scene, Rey and Kylo vs. Snoke's guards, the kamikaze lightspeed jump, Luke and Leia's last scene, and Luke facing off against the First Order. Those are legitimately great Star Wars moments. By comparison, there were only three moments in The Rise of Skywalker that even remotely came close to those IMO, and those were Luke's ghost lifting the X-Wing, Han's ghost talking to Ben, and all the Jedi talking to Rey. The latter scene would have been infinitely better if we had seen the actual Force ghosts. I did like the "But there are more of us, Poe" moment when I first saw it, but now it just looks like a bunch of copied and pasted ships that we mostly don't have any real connection to, on top of feeling derivative of the portals scene from Endgame.

I struggle with where I place TLJ in my saga rankings. I legitimately love so much about it. Def my favorite of the trilogy. At the same time, I strangely have a hard time ranking it about TPM and ROTS. Sometimes TLJ feels so much about the promise or possibility of a new direction for the franchise, rather than simply delivering on it. The prequels just went for it and offered so much new mythology, and lately I feel like they're better "Star Wars" films than the ST are even if the ST work better as movies (yeah, I'll even include TROS in that. It still has way better acting than the prequels). That's not Rian Johnson's fault, he was given the job of having to create a middle chapter of a trilogy without much say in what came before or after. And the first film dropped the ball on setting up sufficiently new mythology. That's a really odd way to construct a trilogy, and I think he just went all-in on the deconstruction angle, because that's what second films in trilogies tend to do and his filmmaking style in general tends to explore genre in that way.

Still, I think this will be the one that gets revisited and talked about the most in the years to come. It took some big swings and Rian had some massive b*lls to make some of the choices he did with the icon of Luke.

This is the only film in the entire Disney era that has a true clarity of authorial intent behind it, and for that reason alone it will age well. It's courageous and undiluted and 100% Johnson's vision, for better and for worse.

People can justifiably complain about some of the creative choices Johnson went with in The Last Jedi all they want, but it's still a far more coherent movie than The Rise of Skywalker. And for all the crap that people give it, The Last Jedi still has more than a handful of great moments. I'll never not love Luke reuniting with R2 in the Falcon, the Yoda scene, Rey and Kylo vs. Snoke's guards, the kamikaze lightspeed jump, Luke and Leia's last scene, and Luke facing off against the First Order. Those are legitimately great Star Wars moments. By comparison, there were only three moments in The Rise of Skywalker that even remotely came close to those IMO, and those were Luke's ghost lifting the X-Wing, Han's ghost talking to Ben, and all the Jedi talking to Rey. The latter scene would have been infinitely better if we had seen the actual Force ghosts. I did like the "But there are more of us, Poe" moment when I first saw it, but now it just looks like a bunch of copied and pasted ships that we mostly don't have any real connection to, on top of feeling derivative of the portals scene from Endgame.

Rise of Skywalker is the only movie in the sequel trilogy I hate.

Killing off Han Solo is probably the only way to get Harrison Ford to come back. Ford wanted Solo to die in Return of the Jedi.

Also, that was a really slanted clickbait article.

Wow, lol. I didn't realize Marcia Lucas was still that opinionated about Star Wars. Pretty harsh words, and she had some cold shade to throw at the prequels too.

Makes you wonder what may have happened with Lucasfilm, or the whole trajectory of the franchise for that matter, if she and George had never divorced.

Killing off Han Solo is probably the only way to get Harrison Ford to come back. Ford wanted Solo to die in Return of the Jedi.

Also, that was a really slanted clickbait article.
Exactly. Just because Marcia Lucas is being a ***** over the newer movies doesn't mean they suck. It's just her opinion. Disagree with her all you want (I know I do), but just remember that opinions from filmmakers aren't "facts". I'm really ****ing tired of all this discourse and whining over Kathleen Kennedy and the newer movies.

One MORE thing: I gurantee you the whiners are going to find something to ***** about Taika Watiti's movie and Patty Jenkins' Rouge Squadron and then go back and say "y'know, the sequels weren't bad after all in comparison" just like you did the prequels. BUNCH OF ****ING CRYBABIE HYPOCRITES, the lot of them. Hell, they harassed Kelly Marie Tran for absolutely no reason. WTF was it about her character that got them triggered other than she's played by an Asian actress? I swear the people who whine about the sequels are nothing more than a bunch of barely-closeted sexists and racists.

Exactly. Just because Marcia Lucas is being a ***** over the newer movies doesn't mean they suck. It's just her opinion. Disagree with her all you want (I know I do), but just remember that opinions from filmmakers aren't "facts". I'm really ****ing tired of all this discourse and whining over Kathleen Kennedy and the newer movies.

One MORE thing: I gurantee you the whiners are going to find something to ***** about Taika Watiti's movie and Patty Jenkins' Rouge Squadron and then go back and say "y'know, the sequels weren't bad after all in comparison" just like you did the prequels. BUNCH OF ****ING CRYBABIE HYPOCRITES, the lot of them. Hell, they harassed Kelly Marie Tran for absolutely no reason. WTF was it about her character that got them triggered other than she's played by an Asian actress? I swear the people who whine about the sequels are nothing more than a bunch of barely-closeted sexists and racists.

There's a fine line between trollish fans and having criticisms of these movies. You are not only lumping everyone in the same category but you are calling them bad people for disliking something. That is a line you are crossing. While not directed at anybody, you have a history of sudden outbursts like this. It doesn't come off well. I'm giving you this one warning to calm down and think before you post next time.

Wow, lol. I didn't realize Marcia Lucas was still that opinionated about Star Wars. Pretty harsh words, and she had some cold shade to throw at the prequels too.

Makes you wonder what may have happened with Lucasfilm, or the whole trajectory of the franchise for that matter, if she and George had never divorced.

It was definitely something to read those harsh comments, but you gotta take into account that Star Wars probably means a lot more to her than most people. I mean, she was there.

It was definitely something to read those harsh comments, but you gotta take into account that Star Wars probably means a lot more to her than most people. I mean, she was there.

Oh yeah, I don't doubt it. She just has been out of the public eye for so long and I had never considered she might still care that deeply about it after so many years removed from it and the business as a whole. It came as a bit of a surprise to me to hear her first public comments in seemingly forever, just going for the jugular.

She's 100% entitled to her opinion though as someone who helped make Star Wars what it is. Though I think it's kind of ironic that some of her biggest criticisms are about killing the older characters, when she famously is responsible for convincing George to kill of Obi-Wan in ANH. Life is strange. I think there's an amazing biopic to be made about George and Marcia.

I won't call her names like that but yes, it is just her opinion. I know a lot of anti Disney and sequel trilogy people are going to cling to this now. She's entitled to her opinion. Just like Martin Scorcese about Marvel films. And Scorcese shouldn't be shamed about his opinion either though people have tried to do that.

But look. We're beating a dead horse at this point. There's no use crying over spilled milk. I think mistakes were made. But did you hate Mandalorian? Do you not want the other new shows and games? I mean if you do dislike them there's nothing stopping you from stopping to consume them. All the old stories and material are still there. You can just leave it alone.

Plus, Marcia Lucas retired from the business long ago. It's not like she was around to offer her services.

Hell, this interview is the first I've heard from her in years. She's not been the most available or talkative person about the franchise.

Yeah, i give those who were there from the beginning a lot more leash when they are unhappy with how the sequels turned out.
Especially considering all the buzz around them, like the fact that they had no real plan for the 3 movies and made it up as they were going.

Of course that leads to heated comments and opinions, rightfully.
You just dont do something like Star Wars without having a plan at all.

But in the end it is what it is, its done and over.
They decided to end the Skywalker storyline like this and nothing anybody says will change that.
Its unfortunate but its nothing anybody can do about that.

Only thing to do is focus on where we go from here, which doesnt seem to look so bleak considering stuff like the Mandalorian, high republic etc.

The way I see it, Like it or not, these creators, actors, producers, artists etc, involved with the SW franchise ,aren't always going to agree with each other, nor have the same opinions.

The same way creators, actors, producers, artists in the CBM genre don't all agree with each on films , storylines, characters etc.

People disagree, sometimes passionately and viscerally .

At the end of the day that's life, and that's just how it is.

I have my own opinions about the films, and ultimately ,someone else's enjoyment or lack there of isn't gonna change that opinion.

I wasn't crazy about the ST, but I've truly enjoyed Rogue One and Mando.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"