Solo General News/Discussion Thread-Han Solo: A Star Wars Story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
really?
Eh...

Well we'll see.
If I remember correctly, that is what Iger said. Something about seeing him get the Falcon and other things over a period of time.

My guess is it might open on a rather young Han, something will happen (perhaps he meets Chewie who he helps save or saves him), and then it will jump to him winning the Falcon or something in the "modern time" of the film. Just like Rogue One really. You even have the mentor.

These studios know who fanboys fawn over. Edgar Wright, Lord and Miller, etc. Right now it's probably Jordan Peele. Anybody they know has the respect of the geek community they know means they can probably squeeze some revenue out of.

The problem is Lucasfilm are not going to be able to attract that type of talent if they pull these type of stunts.

The problem is Lucasfilm are not going to be able to attract that type of talent if they pull these type of stunts.

Of course they will. Any filmmaker who grew up adoring the original trilogy would kill to leave a stamp on the brand, just like how Spielberg and Nolan always wanted to do Bond. It's a part of their youth. Come on now.

Of course they will. Any filmmaker who grew up adoring the original trilogy would kill to leave a stamp on the brand, just like how Spielberg and Nolan always wanted to do Bond. It's a part of their youth. Come on now.

Lord & Miller's stamp: "we got fired from Star Wars" :o

That depends on whether they get to actually stamp anything. This episode would certainly give me pause for thought about taking on such a project, to work so long and tirelessly only to be fired a few weeks before the end of principal photography. The idea of directing a Star Wars movie is far different from the reality of doing it, especially now that it looks far more producer driven.

That depends on whether they get to actually stamp anything. This episode would certainly give me pause for thought about taking on such a project, to work so long and tirelessly only to be fired a few weeks before the end of principal production. The idea of directing a Star Wars movie is far different from the reality of doing it, especially now that it looks far more producer driven.
What about TFA or TLJ suggest they are producer driven?

One of the major problems with Rogue One is it was all on the writers and director. Which is why they had to go back and fix it. Both the writers and director were mediocre as hell.

As excited as I was for this, if they really decided to go way off script, that is a problem with the directors. Remember, they didn't write it.

What about TFA or TLJ suggest they are producer driven?

One of the major problems with Rogue One is it was all on the writers and director. Which is why they had to go back and fix it. Both the writers and director were mediocre as hell.

As excited as I was for this, if they really decided to go way off script, that is a problem with the directors. Remember, they didn't write it.

Yeah, but Lucasfilm would have known what their shooting style was like. I think the issue Lucasfilm want a safe area for Star Wars. TFA whilst good was essentially a revamped version of ANH. I think that was an acceptable thing to do for a reintroduction but it's not a good idea moving forward to stay within a certain boundary. I'm hoping TLJ isn't just a rehash of Empire but I've now got my doubts about it after this drama.

Lord & Miller's stamp: "we got fired from Star Wars" :o

People get fired all the time from projects - just how things go. "Creative differences" always being the politically-correct moniker used. And they always rebound - just ask one Mr. Donner after delivering one of the biggest-grossing films of all-time circa '79.

Trust me. It's better to be that than "We walked off Star Wars three weeks before we wrapped production." A stigma like that is a point of no return career-wise, just ask Mark Romanek.

Also, Gareth accepted the criticism. When Kathleen Kennedy says something needs work, that is someone who I would seriously listen too.

I'm sure the final straws came about as they were planning reshoots.

Also, remember Kennedy fought to get Abrams more time for TFA.

Yeah, but Lucasfilm would have known what their shooting style was like. I think the issue Lucasfilm want a safe area for Star Wars. TFA whilst good was essentially a revamped version of ANH. I think that was an acceptable thing to do for a reintroduction but it's not a good idea moving forward to stay within a certain boundary. I'm hoping TLJ isn't just a rehash of Empire but I've now got my doubts about it after this drama.
TFA was far more then that. It was also all JJ and Kasdan, so if that is a problem, it is with the crew who made it, not the produers.

I agree they knew their shooting style. My question because whether they all agreed they tone it down a bit and stick to the script. The only reason this movie exist is because of Kasdan after all.

Last edited:

But, I don't think it was too big of an expectation for them to change their shooting style for a different kind of movie. Pretty certain the Russos didn't shoot Civil War the same way they shot You, Me, and Dupree.

TFA was far more then that. It was also all JJ and Kasdan, so if that is a problem, it is with the crew who made it, not the directors.

I agree they knew their shooting style. My question because whether they all agreed they tone it down a bit and stick to the script. The only reason this movie exist is because of Kasdan after all.

And that could be entirely subjective. What their interpretation of toning down might not be what Lucasfilm thought it would be. Assuming there was even an agreement in the first place. If I'm hiring those guys I wouldn't get in the way of how they do things.

And that could be entirely subjective. What their interpretation of toning down might not be what Lucasfilm thought it would be. Assuming there was even an agreement in the first place. If I'm hiring those guys I wouldn't get in the way of how they do things.
If they are watching the dailies and not liking them, what do they do?

But, I don't think it was too big of an expectation for them to change their shooting style for a different kind of movie. Pretty certain the Russos didn't shoot Civil War the same way they shot You, Me, and Dupree.

But they're not the Russos. You're asking for artists to change to a style that potentially doesn't suit them.

If they are watching the dailies and not liking them, what do they do?

It's usually pretty evident early on when something isn't working. I can't image Lucasfilm didn't see the potential problem within the first week or two of shooting.

It's usually pretty evident early on when something isn't working. I can't image Lucasfilm didn't see the potential problem within the first week or two of shooting.
Which means they were trying to work with them. Maybe Kennedy was giving them a chance, and then decided they could fix what they saw as a problem with reshoots.

But they're not the Russos. You're asking for artists to change to a style that potentially doesn't suit them.

If that style isn't working, then yes. I mean, there are reports that they were creating scenes to make improve stuff make sense. Which is a bit more difficult in these types of movies.

Based on Cloudy and Lego Movie, I absolutely can see Lord and Miller being the types to ride their creative vision to the bitter end, even if it doesn't work. That is a naive way to view blockbuster filmmaking. Especially when one of the people who is trying to help your movie is Kathleen Kennedy.

Which means they were trying to work with them. Maybe Kennedy was giving them a chance, and then decided they could fix what they saw as a problem with reshoots.

Sometimes things just don't mesh well. What's strange is how this wasn't discovered until a few days ago, or maybe it was and Lucasfilm just kept hoping for things to change. This should have been sorted out months before preproduction.

People get fired all the time from projects - just how things go. "Creative differences" always being the politically-correct moniker used. And they always rebound - just ask one Mr. Donner after delivering one of the biggest-grossing films of all-time circa '79.

Trust me. It's better to be that than "We walked off Star Wars three weeks before we wrapped production." A stigma like that is a point of no return career-wise, just ask Mark Romanek.

Did Romanek walk off during a production? I know he left Wolfman, but I don't think that had started filming yet.

Sometimes things just don't mesh well. What's strange is how this wasn't discovered until a few days ago, or maybe it was and Lucasfilm just kept hoping for things to change. This should have been sorted out months before preproduction.
No, what I think happened is they wanted to see how it shaped up. Then they started planning reshoots and discussed it with them. And then this happened.

What happened to Wheels post?

It is interesting. I was going to mention this earlier, but didn't. In the article that disappeared from this page, it made it clear that while the scenes worked on their own, put together there started to be trouble.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"