Rogue One General Rogue One News/Speculation/SPOILER Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might have had something to do with....

....that awful CGI Leia. I get why they went that way but both her and Tarkin were distracting and fake as hell. They would have been better off just getting two lookalikes, especially when they've got a Han Solo movie with a completely different actor.

I didn't like Leia, but I thought Tarkin was fine. Hell, I was impressed with his CGI/voice/performance. But different strokes I guess.

CGI Tarkin looked great. Almost real few times but he didn't feel like a real character because he was still a CGI creation. He just was there. I'm not sure about Leia. She looked almost real but something was off.

Edit: They were much better than the CGI Jeff Bridges in Tron: Legacy.

The both looked like video game characters to me. We're not at the stage yet where those type of characters can be done believably, if we ever get there.

On the CG:

Tarkin looked fantastic a good 80% of the time for me. Not REAL real, of course, but that was incredible CG and pretty amazing to watch. It's only every now and then when he's speaking that he feels too off. I might've done it differently, but I sure admire the balls of having those recreations front and center the way they did. For Leia I feel about the same.

....that awful CGI Leia. I get why they went that way but both her and Tarkin were distracting and fake as hell. They would have been better off just getting two lookalikes, especially when they've got a Han Solo movie with a completely different actor.

Well that guy who is gonna play Han (I can never remember how you spell this guy's name and last name...) is playing a much younger version of him. With Leia they had to do it that way - it's immediately before A New Hope events so she needs to look the same

Theres always going to be an uncanny valley effect when it comes to these certain depictions, especially in the instance of the character being someone so well known and long dead IRL, but I don't think the CGI itself was at fault.

I just think real actors would have been the better option. I know why it was done but at the same time we can't go backwards in time.

The Han Solo movie is an entire film set years before ANH. They had to recast. The cgi option would have caused the budget to increase substantially. Plus they would have had to create a model of Han Solo's head that looks even younger than Harrison was when he played Han in ANH. The whole thing would have just been impractical to do for an entire film set years before ANH.

With this Leia scene however it is a single scene, and takes place at the same time as ANH so they don't have to deage Fisher's face any. They just had to render a cgi model of Fisher's face as it was in ANH and use it for a single scene. And considering it looks pretty good imo I think it's preferable to a recast. It would have been weird for Leia to be played by a look alike in the final scene of Rogue One and then in her next scene (her first appearance in ANH that takes place moments after her scene in Rogue One) be played by Fisher. I could have put up with a recast, and until I saw cgi Leia considered recasting the better smarter option, but I think they pulled it off well enough to justify going with the cgi option.

That being said, I understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea, and I'm sure there won't be many fans that approve of this approach. I really thought I wouldn't like it or be ok with it because of the reactions I had read, but having seen it and considering the amount of time it's on screen I'm ok with it.

Last edited:
The Han Solo movie is an entire film set years before ANH. They had to recast. The cgi option would have caused the budget to increase substantially. Plus they would have had to create a model of Han Solo's head that looks even younger than Harrison was when he played Han in ANH. The whole thing would have just been impractical to do for an entire film set years before ANH.

With this Leia scene however it is a single scene, and takes place at the same time as ANH so they don't have to deage Fisher's face any. They just had to render a cgi model of Fisher's face as it was in ANH and use it for a single scene. And considering it looks pretty good imo I think it's preferable to a recast. It would have been weird for Leia to be played by a look alike in the final scene of Rogue One and then in her next scene (her first appearance in ANH that takes place moments after her scene in Rogue One) be played by Fisher. I could have put up with a recast if they couldn't pull off the cgi version well enough but I think they pulled it off well enough.

That being said I understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea, and I'm sure there won't be many fans that approve of this approach. I really thought I wouldn't like it or be ok with it because of the reactions I had read, but having seen it and considering the amount of time it's on screen I'm ok with it.

Like I said, I get why it was done, but you lose something when you go this route. The CG is as good as it can be, which is part of the problem, it's not good enough, and probably never will be.

I kinda agree with both of you.

But wait! I haven't seen anybody mention the two most surprising cameos of the whole movie. I was bizarrely excited when these happened--

Freakin' Red Leader and Gold Leader showing up in the final battle! I guess they just cut and pasted them from ANH and cleaned it up. Possibly some alternate takes in there. Also got a kick out of Luke's Red Five predecessor getting shot down...

Seriously two cameos I never knew how much I needed until they happened.

Can someone that has seen the film confirm whether Coruscant is in the film?

There is a picture in the visual dictionary of Krennic standing in Lyra's apartment on Coruscant and a picture of Lyra sitting in her apartment on Coruscant. The book says it's Coruscant and the Coruscant skyline can be seen through the window. I'm wondering if it's in the final film or it was cut, because I haven't seen anyone mention Coruscant being in the film.

There is a picture in the visual dictionary of Krennic standing in Lyra's apartment on Coruscant and a picture of Lyra sitting in her apartment on Coruscant. The book says it's Coruscant and the Coruscant skyline can be seen through the window. I'm wondering if it's in the final film or it was cut, because I haven't seen anyone mention Coruscant being in the film.

Still haven't seen it (today finally), but I read a comment that they briefly glimpsed it in a Jyn flashback scene.

Might be wrong, though.

It's in that one scene, a flashback to the Erso household. At the time I didn't really think about it, because it was an intimate scene, but it is set on Coruscant.

It sure is. I noticed it last night, and saw that same visual dictionary confirmation this morning.

I didn't see any specific buildings, like the Senate dome or the ruins of the Jedi Temple or anything, but the skyline is still recognizable in style.

This movie was great. And i really want to watch it again. So far i have only watched it in 3D and german and i will watch it in 2D and english once more for sure.
But i am thinking of taking a third trip to the cinema in between.

The CG was breathtaking. Tarkin had me drop my jaw. All the other old cameos were great as well. The two gangster from the cantina, gold and red leader and leia of course.
i am really glad they went with killing everyone. It feels natural that way. I also liked that the growing romantic connection between Jyn and cassian was just that. Nothing more nothing less.
K2 was really funny and i can't to hear his lines in english.
Vaders last scene was amazing. The fear he cast on all those rebel troops was just so much fun to watch.

The first few minutes of the movie jumped around too much. And i think they should have sticked to some of the plot points shown in the trailer.
Have the rebels intercept part of the message that Galen send to Saw. That way they couldhave kept some of the good scnes from the trailers. But they did not and i don't mind much. I noticed that the movie was pretty much redone after the trailers were created.

I did not like Saw as a character. Felt strange and out of place. Other than him i loved all the characters in the movie. I feel sad that none of them survived.

Overall this was a great movie and i have to watch it again really soon.
Not quiet on Empires level but on the same as the original. 9/10

Last edited:
Yeah I couldn't stand Saw. We spent waaaaaaaaaaay too much time with him.

Anyone ever play that 2010 video game Halo Reach?

Rogue Ones story has a lot of similarities to the campaign of Halo Reach.

Oh and i thought [BLACKOUT]Leia's[/BLACKOUT] CGI was near realistic while [BLACKOUT]Tarkin's[/BLACKOUT] was awful.

So where there any other Rebels Easter Eggs in the film aside from the Ghost in that one shot?

I can't believe I don't get to see this until Monday. It's going to be such a long wait.

I can't believe people are calling it awful CG. Ungrateful sons of...

So where there any other Rebels Easter Eggs in the film aside from the Ghost in that one shot?

I can't believe I don't get to see this until Monday. It's going to be such a long wait.

Listen to the background announcement at the rebel base when you watch the movie. Someone you know will be called out. Not sure how much you want to get spoiled so i leave it at this.

Listen to the background announcement at the rebel base when you watch the movie. Someone you know will be called out. Not sure how much you want to get spoiled so i leave it at this.

You can tell me who it is. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"