The Force Awakens General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation/SPOILER Thread - - Part 51

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was LTTP to star wars 7, here's my original post:
First full star wars movie I've ever seen.

I just got back from a screening of it, and I thought it was a pretty great movie. Yes I didn't get every wink and nod and understand why the whole audience laughed at certain scenes, but it did not really affect my enjoyment of it. I tried watching episode 4 yesterday but I didn't get through it.

And I feel like (even though all the old movies are worth watching) I don't need to watch the old ones. I enjoyed Star Wars 7 as simply a new movie, regardless of previous installments.

I was a little upset in the beginning to have (thought) seen that they killed off the pilot character, I liked the relationship he was starting with "Finn". and was pleasantly surprised to see he survived and popped up later on in the movie.

the little orange alien woman was cute and probably my favorite character.

Like I said, I'm not a veteran of the star wars films like most, so it didn't strike a cord with me that hans solo died, but I was still like, whoa - where are they gonna go next with his son? is he gonna die? then he had a faceoff but survived. nice.

who was the big giant evil alien? was he a new character?

and towards the end of the movie, like, what ended up being the last few minutes, I was thinking to myself, damn...this whole movie is about finding luke skywalker so if they end it, it'll be such an unsatisfying cliffhanger for me. but then...he did show up. and despite it being practically a cameo, it was great. great ending, great movie.

No, the Emperor was the top dog of the Empire in episodes 4-6.

Well, there was no mention of the Emperor in Episode 4. He only showed up in 5 & 6. In ANH there were only Vader and Tarkin as the top leaders of the Empire.

Well, there was no mention of the Emperor in Episode 4. He only showed up in 5 & 6. In ANH there were only Vader and Tarkin as the top leaders of the Empire.

There was, Tarkin says that the Emperor has dissolved the galactic senate and ended the last remnants of the republic.

After 3 days of viewings, i have finally watched the prequels for the first time and now caught up with all 7 Star Wars films.

Man that Jar Jar Binks sucks. :/

Fellow hypers I am off to finally see TFA this evening. I'm looking forward to joining the discussion. Happy Holidays to you all! :)

Fellow hypers I am off to finally see TFA this evening. I'm looking forward to joining the discussion. Happy Holidays to you all! :)

May the Force be with you. :woot:

After 3 days of viewings, i have finally watched the prequels for the first time and now caught up with all 7 Star Wars films.

Man that Jar Jar Binks sucks. :/

I still can't really sit through another TPM even though I have the Prequels on blu-ray (had to show them to my kids to let them see all the SW movies).

I still can't really sit through another TPM even though I have the Prequels on blu-ray (had to show them to my kids to let them see all the SW movies).

Yeah the first two were tough to watch at times.

But i have to say that i consider episode 3 to be near brilliant, with the origins of the empire and Darth Vader to the birth of luke and leia and how it connects to episode 4, i mean if it weren't for its terrible acting at times that film would've been perfection.

When I do a Star Wars marathon I include all the films (do that with every series actually). But I just know when to mentally switch off etc. There are still plenty of individually fun moments in the prequels even if the overall product doesn't live up to a Darth Vader back story at all. If there was a mute control for certain characters that would also help a lot!

Yeah the first two were tough to watch at times.

But i have to say that i consider episode 3 to be near brilliant, with the origins of the empire and Darth Vader to the birth of luke and leia and how it connects to episode 4, i mean if it weren't for its terrible acting at times that film would've been perfection.
Brilliant is what you'd expect from a Darth Vader prequel. Those things like the births of Luke and Leia and how other characters end up ahead of EIV were all set up by the OT. Would have been weird not to include all that. The prequel trilogy and RotS were set up to be hugely significant moments in film history but it wasn't to be.

AotC is the worst, but RotS is the most disappointing imo. It starts off well and then drives off a cliff with absolute nonsense. TPM is the one I enjoy from the prequels. It is bad, but it also the film with the most actual success imo.

AotC is the worst, but RotS is the most disappointing imo. It starts off well and then drives off a cliff with absolute nonsense. TPM is the one I enjoy from the prequels. It is bad, but it also the film with the most actual success imo.

Clone Wars does help ROTS, though.

TCW makes RotS worse imo, because it shows that it could be properly done. There is zero in common with TCW Anakin and the prequels Anakin. They are two completely different characters.

I feel Clone Wars only helps from a mythos perspective, but it doesn't save the films as films.

TPM is by far the biggest disappointment to me. With that platform it was already difficult for RotS to ever live up to what it could have been for me with the right build up. After TPM expectations reset which meant I could enjoy the other 2 a bit more, but that was a young lifetime's worth of expectations blown away. It still has some great moments (and I watch all the prequels with my SW marathons) but I don't think it's possible to make a good or serious film with JJBinks and Annie (no disrespect to the successful red headed version!).

IMO Clone Wars (both the animated and later Faloni-led CG one) redeemed the prequel story, because just relying on the live action films wasn't enough to do it.

I think for TPM you could watch Darth Maul vs Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan and you'd be all set. I do have nostalgia goggles for TPM though - it was the first Star Wars film I saw in theaters.

ATC is the personal worst for me. Especially now that I'm an adult and understand the sheer brilliance of the Tartokovsky Clone Wars series. ATC as as standalone film is incredibly weak to me personally.

I like how Ian McDiarmid realized he had s*** to work with in the prequels so just decided to chew scenery throughout the movies. There are points in the prequels in which if he had a moustache he would be twirling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"