The Force Awakens General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation/SPOILER Thread - Part 50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting because when I saw the movie I heard none of that lol. I had no clue what was going and I had no idea yoda was in that to.

The way it's edited makes the whole thing disorienting. It's brilliant and packs a ton of meaning into an incredibly short scene, but it's going to require rewatches. I can't wait until I can go through the vision frame by frame on the blu-ray.

The way it's edited makes the whole thing disorienting. It's brilliant and packs a ton of meaning into an incredibly short scene, but it's going to require rewatches. I can't wait until I can go through the vision frame by frame on the blu-ray.

I believe you mean on blu-rey. :o

Were it not for this, then I wouldn't think twice about romantic feelings between the two (or at the very least, from him to her. It could very be unrequited).

"Leave your entire existence behind and everything you've come to know and let's run away together" isn't something you say to a friend. I can't imagine he would've said that to Poe, unless...:gngl:
Exactly and the way Rey reacted throughout seemed to hint at it being unrequited. We may hear the "I think of you as a brother" line from her, even.
Finn is happy to be freed from the First Order and is excited to have friends. I also think he has the hots for Rey, it's pretty obvious, and he wanted to save her because he cares about her.

Yeah, I like that they explore his psyche a bit in the way he treats his friends. It makes Finn so interesting and he's already a cool character to begin with.

some say you can also hear Padme screaming when she was in labor in the Vision.

also, are we to assume that the little girl saying "no" is supposed to be young Rey?

some say you can also hear Padme screaming when she was in labor in the Vision.

also, are we to assume that the little girl saying "no" is supposed to be young Rey?

Yeah because Unkar Plutt is holding the little girls arm and he tells her to be quite.

Yeah I will most likely see the movie again maybe 2 more times and I will have to try to really watch out for what was said there.

Exactly and the way Rey reacted throughout seemed to hint at it being unrequited. We may hear the "I think of you as a brother" line from her, even.

Yeah, I like that they explore his psyche a bit in the way he treats his friends. It makes Finn so interesting and he's already a cool character to begin with.

The brother line occh.

Reposted for the New thread:

Obi-Wan and Yoda are in TFA. Confirmed by Abrams.

There were more old friends in Star Wars: The Force Awakens than we may have realized.

Those who saw the film this weekend (and those who haven’t may want to stop here) know that midway through the movie Daisy Ridley’s lonely scavenger Rey has a vision, a dream-like flashback sequence after she discovers Luke Skywalker’s long-lost lightsaber in the basement of Maz Kanata’s castle.

As Rey touches it, she is hit with an impressionistic wave of images and sounds that depict a cloaked Luke Skywalker in mourning, reaching out for support (or to comfort) R2-D2 beside a fire. She sees bodies scattered in a rainstorm at the feet of Kylo Ren and the masked and menacing Knights of Ren. She sees herself as a young girl, being left in the coarse hands of junk dealer Unkar Plutt on the desert world of Jakku.

And within this, we hear at least two familiar voices: Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda. On Saturday night, I interviewed director J.J. Abrams and his co-screenwriters Lawrence Kasdan and Michael Arndt after a Writers Guild of America screening, and they revealed how – and why – that scene came together the way it did.

Abrams also confirmed that some iconic actors reprised their roles: Ewan McGregor, Frank Oz… and a clever editing movie also brought the late Alec Guinness, who died in 2000 at the age of 86, back to the Star Wars universe.

“The idea of the voices was, we wanted the audience to feel – but not necessarily be presented right in your face — this idea that familiar, Force-strong voices were connecting with her. At least as well as they could,” Abrams says.

So for those who saw the movie, but were just as overwhelmed as Rey as that moment hit: what did we hear?

“You do hear a little bit of Yoda. You hear Luke yelling out, ‘Nooo!’ from that moment in Empire. And you hear Obi-Wan at the end say, ‘Rey … these are your first steps,’” Abrams says. “Here’s the cool part. We asked Ewan McGregor to come in and do the line. And he was awesome and we were very grateful. He was incredibly sweet and handsome, and all that stuff. Then he rode off on his motorcycle. Literally the coolest voice over actor ever.”

As they worked on editing the dream sequence, Bryan Burk, a longtime Bad Robot collaborator and one of the producers of the film, surprised Abrams one day with the gift of a single word: Obi-Wan Kenobi’s voice saying the name “Rey …”

“I said, ‘That’s cool, is that the thing from Ewan McGregor?’” Abrams recalled. “He said ‘No, we took a line from Alec Guinness saying ‘Afraid.’”

Not only that, but the lilt in his voice from that truncated word happened to fit exactly what Abrams had in mind. “They cut it, and you hear the performance – he’s saying it the way I would have begged Alec Guinness to have said it. It is so crazy perfect,” Abrams says. “So when you hear Obi-Wan talk to Rey it is both Alec Guinness and Ewan McGregor doing the voice.”

Frank Oz, a veteran of The Muppets who puppeteered Yoda and supplied his voice in the earlier movies, also contributed new dialogue for The Force Awakens, although Abrams says they ended up using pre-existing elements of the little green Jedi master’s voice.

“He was incredibly generous and came in to Bad Robot, where we had a recording area, and he was doing Yoda, saying a number of lines we gave to him,” Abrams says. “This whole experience has been one outrageous moment after another. Just watching Frank Oz, you look at him and talk to him and his voice is very deep. I don’t know why I would have thought he sounded like Miss Piggy!”

But Oz was more than willing to return to the jumbled syntax of Yoda. “He was very generous to say, ‘Whatever makes the movie better, I’m happy to help out,” Abrams said.

That means, maybe, we could get even more of the character’s spirit in the films to come. Writer-director Rian Johnson (Brick, Looper) begins shooting Episode VIII next month.

As for what Rey’s dream sequence doesn’t reveal … Abrams and Kasdan said they knew they had to suggest her backstory, but everyone felt The Force Awakens would be the wrong place to dive too deeply into Rey’s past. “We’re hoping Rian Johnson can figure that out,” Kasdan joked. “We were really stymied!”

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/20/jj-abrams-reveals-obi-wan-and-yoda-are-star-wars-force-awakens

If Rey is Luke's daughter, does he know? When he turns around he doesn't seem to recognize her or like if the force is telling him something. He just focuses on the lightsabre and doesn't look up like'you...!?'

Until they met up at Starkiller base, at least. There was something in her eyes when Han told her that it was Finn's idea.

She did, however, leave him behind in D'Qar to go look for Luke, though. I'm getting pretty deep into speculative territory here, but I don't think Finn would've left her side if the roles were reversed.

Either way, it's definitely still up in the air.

Until they met up at Starkiller base, at least. There was something in her eyes when Han told her that it was Finn's idea.

She did, however, leave him behind in D'Qar to go look for Luke, though. I'm getting pretty deep into speculative territory here, but I don't think Finn would've left her side if the roles were reversed.

Either way, it's definitely still up in the air.
Yeah, it definitely meant alot to her that he came back to rescue her. I almost expected a kiss in that scene
Nah, Finn and Poe guys. :oldrazz:

I wouldn't be against it:oldrazz:

It's not me right, she is wearing the same outfit, little arm sleeves included.

Did anybody else notice the parallels between Rey's and Kylo's sleeves btw? I wonder if that has any meaning, or if it's purely coincidental.

The costume designer has an affinity for sleeves with that overlapped look

Finn's like a sheltered kid getting exposed to the outside world for the first time. His enthusiasm and feigned bravery overcompensate for his lack of experience, much like a child. I think that's the key to Boyega's performance.

Rey is just as much of an orphan, just as sheltered, but felt much more self-sufficient and mature in a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"