The Force Awakens General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation/SPOILER Thread - - - - - - Part 48

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just saw it. General thoughts:

Lots of fan-service and **** thrown in for nostalgia purposes. [BLACKOUT]The Seeker remote, the chess on the falcon, the two stormtroopers talking about the new T-17 models on the Starkiller base[/BLACKOUT]. Not saying it's bad but as a guy that got all those references sometimes it seemed the movie went out of it's way to say "'member this?!"

The plot is very formulaic but I don't think it was in detriment of the movie. It allowed them a safe structure to explore the new characters and ease them in the movie. Yeah, it's a Star Wars OT Best Of but, well, if you're going to copy, copy from the good stuff.

I was really surprised by Driver's performance and the way the movie non-nonchalantly just [BLACKOUT]reveals he is Han's son. It felt as if Snoke just spoiled a bit of the movie for you when it happened, which is weird in and of itself. I laughed a bit because it was very unexpected for me but it made be feel good because a) I expected that and b) I was afraid they were going to hold out for the next movie with that family stuff.[/BLACKOUT]

I still feel my stomach in turns because of what happened [BLACKOUT]to Han. I was coming back from the cinema thinking about it and I think what really hit me was the shot of the body falling motionless into that chasm and also the whole dramatic stakes of a move like that. If you think about it, there aren't really any deaths like this in Star Wars. You didn't care nearly enough for the characters of the prequels for their deaths to have any impact in this and the characters in the OT who died were both still around after having died. You didn't really feel that bad for Ben or Yoda because a) their body disappeared and b) they were still talking to Luke after they've gone. It was also very ballsy of a movie that's clearly keeping it safe to straight out have a son killing his father like that. Kylo is pretty much what Anakin should have been.
[/BLACKOUT]

Really liked all the characters, even Maz. She felt like a wise old granny. Laughed at the way they [BLACKOUT]handwave the lightsaber retrieval issue[/BLACKOUT] away from the movie. "We'll deal with that **** later".

I have this nagging feeling that [BLACKOUT]Snoke is going to be a Yoda-sized alien[/BLACKOUT]. The way they're playing with his size depiction makes me feel like they'd subvert expectations like that.

Of all the repetition they did, I really think another Deathstar is a bit going too far but, in the very least, I really liked the concept of [BLACKOUT]how they destroyed it this time. Of all the doomsday weapons weaknesses I felt this was the least convoluted. The original Deathstars were always gimmicky in the way they can destroy them by hitting one weak spot. I liked that they went out of their way to rationalize the way this one blows up. It basically stores a whole sun inside the planet and it needs stabilizers to keep all that energy controlled, by destroying the stabilizers you make the energy unstable and it implodes. Was it still stupid to have it all in one spot? Yep. They never learn...[/BLACKOUT]

Last edited:
The revelations or big stuff being handled in a casual way or placed early on in the movie was a wise move. It really avoided ESB-like comparisons. I was always a supporter of us knowing as early as possible who Kylo is, pushing for that moment to be the Maz Kanata scene. The movie did better, it revealed that even earlier.

In general I think the movie went out of it's way to try and be a pacifier for fans after what happened with the prequels. Loads of fan service and safe decisions to play on the nostalgia and avoid as less rage as possible. I think we have earned it after having to sit through 3 movies of Trade disputes, Senate pseudo-political shenanigans and the Jedi being ******ed jerks.

If we skip past that obvious formula, the movie is filled with cool details.

Like a stormtrooper getting shot, splatting against a wall and you could see bits of this white ceramic-like armor on the floor scattered below him.

I also loved that, after all that crossguard saber debacle, they at least [BLACKOUT]had him use the handguard to deal as much damage as possible, going for Finn's shoulder[/BLACKOUT]. Neat trick. Very vicious.

Yeah, TFA's function is pretty clear in the bigger scheme of things. I get why it's such a turnoff to some people (hell, it is to me, too, to a small degree), but it's so well made I'm flat out overlooking it.

Anyone else get some Incredibles vibes off of [BLACKOUT]Rey sneaking around the Starkiller base?[/BLACKOUT]

In general I think the movie went out of it's way to try and be a pacifier for fans after what happened with the prequels. Loads of fan service and safe decisions to play on the nostalgia and avoid as less rage as possible. I think we have earned it after having to sit through 3 movies of Trade disputes, Senate pseudo-political shenanigans and the Jedi being ******ed jerks.

If we skip past that obvious formula, the movie is filled with cool details.

I think easing people back into the Star Wars universe with a more familiar formula was part of the plan. You need to lay the groundwork and make sure the first film is a success before you can start shaking things up a little.

I can't if it was Lawrence or Kennedy that said Rian is a bit more of a left field director than JJ so to expect things to be different in the next movie.

Well, I just saw it. General thoughts:

Lots of fan-service and **** thrown in for nostalgia purposes. [BLACKOUT]The Seeker remote, the chess on the falcon, the two stormtroopers talking about the new T-17 models on the Starkiller base[/BLACKOUT]. Not saying it's bad but as a guy that got all those references sometimes it seemed the movie went out of it's way to say "'member this?!"

The plot is very formulaic but I don't think it was in detriment of the movie. It allowed them a safe structure to explore the new characters and ease them in the movie. Yeah, it's a Star Wars OT Best Of but, well, if you're going to copy, copy from the good stuff.

I was really surprised by Driver's performance and the way the movie non-nonchalantly just [BLACKOUT]reveals he is Han's son. It felt as if Snoke just spoiled a bit of the movie for you when it happened, which is weird in and of itself. I laughed a bit because it was very unexpected for me but it made be feel good because a) I expected that and b) I was afraid they were going to hold out for the next movie with that family stuff.[/BLACKOUT]

I still feel my stomach in turns because of what happened [BLACKOUT]to Han. I was coming back from the cinema thinking about it and I think what really hit me was the shot of the body falling motionless into that chasm and also the whole dramatic stakes of a move like that. If you think about it, there aren't really any deaths like this in Star Wars. You didn't care nearly enough for the characters of the prequels for their deaths to have any impact in this and the characters in the OT who died were both still around after having died. You didn't really feel that bad for Ben or Yoda because a) their body disappeared and b) they were still talking to Luke after they've gone. It was also very ballsy of a movie that's clearly keeping it safe to straight out have a son killing his father like that. Kylo is pretty much what Anakin should have been.
[/BLACKOUT]

Really liked all the characters, even Maz. She felt like a wise old granny. Laughed at the way they [BLACKOUT]handwave the lightsaber retrieval issue[/BLACKOUT] away from the movie. "We'll deal with that **** later".

I have this nagging feeling that [BLACKOUT]Snoke is going to be a Yoda-sized alien[/BLACKOUT]. The way they're playing with his size depiction makes me feel like they'd subvert expectations like that.

Of all the repetition they did, I really think another Deathstar is a bit going too far but, in the very least, I really liked the concept of [BLACKOUT]how they destroyed it this time. Of all the doomsday weapons weaknesses I felt this was the least convoluted. The original Deathstars were always gimmicky in the way they can destroy them by hitting one weak spot. I liked that they went out of their way to rationalize the way this one blows up. It basically stores a whole sun inside the planet and it needs stabilizers to keep all that energy controlled, by destroying the stabilizers you make the energy unstable and it implodes. Was it still stupid to have it all in one spot? Yep. They never learn...[/BLACKOUT]

Unless andy and others involved in the production are lying to us, Snoke is 7 feet tall and very thin. And itd be very stupid to lie about something like that. Not to mention ridiculous looking for Snoke to be a 2 foot tall skinny white guy. So I doubt he is going to be that small.

Most likely Snoke'design is meant to be reminiscent of this piece of concept art of the Emperor:

image-934465-galleryV9-bwws-934465.jpg

The 6 AM and 6:30 AM showtimes at my local theater sold out. People have lost their damn minds. :funny:

The 6 AM and 6:30 AM showtimes at my local theater sold out. People have lost their damn minds. :funny:

Dude same over here. They had to add another showing. The whole weekend is booked out in both cinemas.

And six hours left till I see this.

Unless andy and others involved in the production are lying to us, Snoke is 7 feet tall and very thin. And itd be very stupid to lie about something like that. Not to mention ridiculous looking for Snoke to be a 2 foot tall skinny white guy. So I doubt he is going to be that small.

Oh, they said that? I wasn't aware.

It would be a cool subversion if they did that tho. Ridiculous depends on what you do with it. I don't think Yoda is ridiculous just because of his size. Judge him by his size, do you?

I hope they reinvent themselves with the next movies, following the Empire formula next and Return of the Jedi second would be the laziest thing ever..
I'd love for them to actually have Kylo killing Snoke in the next episode, becoming even more unhinged with the Dark Side. Another Empire/Emperor is just lazy.

The most brilliant thing this movie pulled off was introducing nearly a dozen new characters with ease.

Rey
Finn
Kylo Ren
Poe Dameron
BB-8
Captain Phasma
General Hux
Maz Kanata
Supreme Leader Snoke

My hope is that by Episode 9, the movie will be completely led by this cast, without even appearances by Luke, Leia, Chewie, 3PO, and R2. [BLACKOUT]I see them all biting it in Episode 8.[/BLACKOUT] It was great seeing them in TFA, but they were there to essentially make us comfortable with jumping into a brand new story.

So what is the consensus as to Rey's heritage? She must be a Skywalker too. She has the force and Anakin and Luke's tinker aptitude. Plus she's an ace pilot. She must be Luke's daughter.

She exhibits all the signs of that Skywalker DNA doesn't she.

The most brilliant thing this movie pulled off was introducing nearly a dozen new characters with ease.

Rey
Finn
Kylo Ren
Poe Dameron
BB-8
Captain Phasma
General Hux
Maz Kanata
Supreme Leader Snoke

Yeah. And also a smart move introducing them early on and let the "old" ones come back later in very different and admirable ways.

Rey
Finn
Kylo Ren
Poe Dameron
BB-8
Captain Phasma
General Hux
Maz Kanata
Supreme Leader Snoke

My hope is that by Episode 9, the movie will be completely led by this cast, without even appearances by Luke, Leia, Chewie, 3PO, and R2. [BLACKOUT]I see them all biting it in Episode 8.[/BLACKOUT] It was great seeing them in TFA, but they were there to essentially make us comfortable with jumping into a brand new story.

Damn I never even realized they introduced all those characters. They did a decent job of it too.

I agree with your hopes of episode 9. Except I hope Chewie 3PO and R2 are still there.

You know what i just realized...did they ever explain why they aren't using clones anymore?
I remember, I think Ren, saying "Maybe we should use a clone army" or something along those lines to Hux

They weren't necessary. The Imperial Stormtroopers weren't clones, either. They just started recruiting.

The one facility in Kamino that could create clones at that rate and quality is no more. I believe Palpy had it destroyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"