Gina Carano is No Longer Cara Dune... Fortunately

TheVileOne

Eternal
Reaction score
the-mandalorian-swcc-cara-dune-1-1024x683.jpg

Huge role for Gina Carano. Looks like she will get to do a lot of fighting and stunts as well, which is perfect for her. Character also has a perfect Star Wars-esque name. I especially like that "Dune" is her last name being a big fan of Dune. Wouldn't surprise me if she was purposefully named as a reference to that series. You can't tell me that Dune never served as an inspiration to the original Star Wars and George Lucas to some degree.

Cara Dune is an ex-shock trooper who is trying to reintegrate to civilian life. It wouldn't surprise me if she's on trail of the asset Mandalorian is looking for or if she comes into conflict with Mando when he's searching for the asset.

Last edited:
It's interesting that the first description I read of her character was that she was a former Rebel Trooper, but she was a Shock Trooper for the Empire?

She said "rebel shock trooper" in the panel, I took that at face value as in she was with the Rebel Alliance. But guess she might have misspoke and was using "rebel" in the generic sense, like lower-case "r".

I like the sound of that Rebellion special forces thing myself, but yeah, there's some confusion here. Carano doesn't exactly strike me as someone all that up with her scifi canon stuff, haha, so who knows. She could mean "Imperial who's rebelled from her superiors post-Endor" too I guess. Still hoping it's the former though.

She said "rebel shock trooper" in the panel, I took that at face value as in she was with the Rebel Alliance. But guess she might have misspoke and was using "rebel" in the generic sense, like lower-case "r".

I like the sound of that Rebellion special forces thing myself, but yeah, there's some confusion here. Carano doesn't exactly strike me as someone all that up with her scifi canon stuff, haha, so who knows. She could mean "Imperial who's rebelled from her superiors post-Endor" too I guess. Still hoping it's the former though.

I've just never heard of the Rebellion having Shock Troopers before, that's an Imperial thing, it'll be interesting to see exactly what the deal is, I'm thinking the most likely one is that her character is a Shock Trooper who rebelled against the Empire and is now a loner on the Outer Rim. I think there's a good chance that she is the asset Herzog and the Doctor are after, the fact a doctor is involved makes me wonder whether there is something enhanced about her.

Yes, evidence states she was a rebel shock trooper. I wonder if she's become a bounty hunter or mercenary now.

We haven't really seen them on-screen yet Hunter-Rider, but that doesn't mean they don't exist, it'd only make sense they do.

Every military worth a damn has snipers and infiltrators and heavy-duty "go in and just kill everything that moves" heavy-weapon types, "good" and "bad" alike. The Old Republic had those types of clonetroopers in Clone Wars too, prior to morphing into the Empire.

Plus we've seen the shadier side of the Rebellion in Rogue One, that whole "Churchill's Ministry For Ungentlemanly Warfare" analogue. Spies, assassins, saboteurs, the works. That all exists within the Rebellion, nothing wrong with that. No reason they wouldn't have their own counter-units to the Empire's elite Death Troopers and stuff.

I think a lot of the confusion among people in the wake of the panel is just more to do with her wearing all-black in the pics and footage, people's lizard-brains figuring that denotes Imperial. A fair call, but not necessarily true.

Good to see she's former Rebel. That's not in any way contradictory to her going criminal after the war, both sides always have those elements afterward in reality.

Some of the troops we saw in Rogue One could easily be described as shock troopers I wager.

As for Dune being the asset, doubt that, she's probably just a random crim that the Mando crosses paths with early on in his journey to find the asset, she hooks up with him either toward the same goal or he's just promised her a fat payday if she does, that feels more western-y.

And Herzog said in the footage the target's 50 years old. That conflicts with that early report/supposed leak about it being a baby, but weirder things have happened. Maybe some sort of experimentation shenanigans (human or alien), that's how the weedy doctor guy in that room plays into things? Like some really-slow-ageing life-extending thing, the baby's been around for 50 years, some old hush-hush fringe sciency wackyness of Palpatine's going back to pre-prequels days.

*Shrugs* Either that or the baby rumor was just bull**** and the target's a middle-aged person, seems the simpler explanation. :funny:

Oh, ok, I was confused why Feloni would have characters named Dune/ Duhm in close continuity proximity.

Oh, ok, I was confused why Feloni would have characters named Dune/ Duhm in close continuity proximity.

Probably because it would be noticed, it certainly wouldn't hurt if this does develop further to reveal an actual link to Kanan maybe he was the long thought dead older brother inducted into the Jedi Order before she was born..

Or just harmless coincidence.

Either works.

Maybe that's why she's involved she knows it's important to the Imperials and that's enough for her to thwart whatever they're planning...

Some of the troops we saw in Rogue One could easily be described as shock troopers I wager.

Heck, I would even say that the rebels on Endor could be classified as being Shock Troopers, if you really wanted to argue about it.

As for Dune being the asset, doubt that, she's probably just a random crim that the Mando crosses paths with early on in his journey to find the asset, she hooks up with him either toward the same goal or he's just promised her a fat payday if she does, that feels more western-y.

And Herzog said in the footage the target's 50 years old. That conflicts with that early report/supposed leak about it being a baby, but weirder things have happened. Maybe some sort of experimentation shenanigans (human or alien), that's how the weedy doctor guy in that room plays into things? Like some really-slow-ageing life-extending thing, the baby's been around for 50 years, some old hush-hush fringe sciency wackyness of Palpatine's going back to pre-prequels days.

*Shrugs* Either that or the baby rumor was just bull**** and the target's a middle-aged person, seems the simpler explanation. :funny:

You are right, I forgot the asset is supposed to be 50 years old. So Dune doesn't fit the profile.

Heck, I would even say that the rebels on Endor could be classified as being Shock Troopers, if you really wanted to argue about it.

I don't know about that, guess it's possible, I always kinda just read the Endor guys as more being just "regular jungle-uniform-issue Rebel grunts" type of thing. Always loved that thing from Filoni inferring the old bearded dude from Jedi might be Rex though. :hehe: :up:

kbshvprj78o1xleuwp1h.png

Pretty sure it's not canon even though it's coming from Dave, more just his in-his-own-head "wouldn't it be cool?" type of thing (the age wouldn't match up anyway I think, he's already like equivalent-of-60 in Rebels, add another 25+ years to that and the faster-ageing-clones thing and this guy would be ancient), but fun all the same.

On the other hand the guys from Rogue One do strike me way more as being the special forces types. They just have that rough-and-tumble haggard look to them, sort of equivalent to all those dirty & bearded SEAL & SAS types you see in Afghanistan, or the old WWII British desert rats. Their uniforms are a little less, err, uniform, haha, and they all in addition to being part of that shadier side of the Rebellion with Cassian seem to have really seen some serious ****.

latest

rogue-one-rebels-image-600x373.jpg

scene00155.jpg

c9pJCbk.jpg

Don't think Cara's necessarily going to be exactly the same type of trooper as those (she does kinda seem more "heavy weapons human tank" type of thing), but she probably ran in the same circles. The type of Rebel that Mon Mothma's not exactly going to be advertising or wanting as part of their image/propaganda, the real hard-core doing the dirty work that needs to be done but the brass likes to pretend they're above.

Gina Carano Is Ready to Launch Her Career Into Hyperspace (Exclusive)
However, it was a moment on the Mandalorian set, with executive producer Jon Favreau -- whom Carano raves is a "wonderful man" who provided an experience like no other on the secretive Star Wars project -- that was a true eye-opener for the 37-year-old star.

"He looked at me before my big scene, one of my biggest introductory scenes in Mandalorian, and he was like, 'We're gonna change your trajectory right now,'" she recalled. "I think he's a very honest man, and he's seen the struggle, and he's seen what happens to careers and he's like, 'We're gonna change your path right now'... He's like, 'From here on out, you're gonna choose jobs that are complementing [you]. And you're gonna choose jobs that challenge you. And you're gonna believe in yourself. From this scene forward.'"

"I was welling up with tears," Carano continued, remembering the emotional moment. "And I went out and I crushed that scene. And it was like, a scene when I first read the script I was like, 'Oh gosh, this is more than I've ever been given -- how am I going to do this?' And then, with him, I really trained for it, and I really was present... He believed in me and it helped me believe in myself."

"I couldn't thank him enough, because I feel like my whole life since I shot that has been a different world," she added.

Favreau is the man.

%60TBS-e6960-cara-dune-black-series-1569523228538.jpg

pTRU1-24353027enh-z6__57278.1474479747.1280.1280.jpg

GUEST_0bd8e99a-79a5-4288-bc59-e2fc67ed52f3

GUEST_db9c1437-0722-49f1-810d-a056a7faff6d

She's out to out-vazquez, .... Vazquez!

"....Let's roooock!!!"
giphy.gif

Man, Gina got big!

She really has. I know everybody's gonna jump to defend her and accuse us of fat shaming but it's day and night compared to when she used to train.

Even her promo art was significantly slimmer.
D4IFj7_WkAErGJu.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"