God of War II: Last gen ends when we say so

God of War 2 still shows that you can still make a great game with limited resources. if GoW2 were released for any other console it wouldn't have reached nearly as many gamers. most gamers still have a PS2...not that many have PS3's.

that's why it was made for the PS2.

Logic is being spoken here.

Don't argue.

Actually it's not very logical from a business standpoint. PS3 needs a killer ap (they've really only had one, Resistance) and this could have been that game, it could have sold a bunch of systems.

It's a first party game so they should have had early access to a development kit and plenty of time to learn it. The argument of not wanting to learn new code/hardware sends a bad message to third party developers, if Sony in-house teams are intimadated by it, how are we gonna fare? While it's nice to give PS2 owners one final hoorah, it's not needed Sony has provided plenty of incredible games to PS2 owners over the years, but now it's time to look to the future.

They could have also taken the approach Nintendo did with Legend of Zelda and release the game on both systems with additional functionality for the PS3. Better yet, use the GRAW example from last year, Xbox and 360 both got the game, but the 360 version showed just how much better games can be on the 360. However, instead the development team was drinking the Sony Kool-Aid and felt that PS3 didn't need a great exclusive game, the pure power and ability to play Blu-Ray movies would be more than enough to sell the system. So PS2 owners can still wait a while before they feel a real need to upgrade to the next-gen.

Dude,there are millions of PS2s out there, and about two million PS3s, how is that not logical from a business standpoint? And Motorstorm is another killer app that is out, and Lair and Heavenly Sword are closing in fast.

How many PS3's (Sony's future in gaming) did God of War sell? By your logic Sony shouldn't have even released the PS3, why release a new console when you've already got millions of the old one on the market? While Lair is coming somewhat soon, early May, Heavenly Sword won't be released until at least August according to EB Games.

So I've got Motorstorm and Resistance for PS3 and they're both excellent, but while I wait for my next PS3 purchase (Rainbow Six Vegas) I wanted something else to play. There's been a lot of fuss about God of War, so at $19.99 I figured I might as well see for myself....
HOLY CRAP
Great graphics, story, music, so very addicting. What's nice is that when I beat this one, Ill have II waiting for me right away and after that the PSP version (November is a rumor). Can't wait for God of War III on the PS3 :eek:

Actually it's not very logical from a business standpoint. PS3 needs a killer ap (they've really only had one, Resistance) and this could have been that game, it could have sold a bunch of systems.

It's a first party game so they should have had early access to a development kit and plenty of time to learn it. The argument of not wanting to learn new code/hardware sends a bad message to third party developers, if Sony in-house teams are intimadated by it, how are we gonna fare? While it's nice to give PS2 owners one final hoorah, it's not needed Sony has provided plenty of incredible games to PS2 owners over the years, but now it's time to look to the future.

They could have also taken the approach Nintendo did with Legend of Zelda and release the game on both systems with additional functionality for the PS3. Better yet, use the GRAW example from last year, Xbox and 360 both got the game, but the 360 version showed just how much better games can be on the 360. However, instead the development team was drinking the Sony Kool-Aid and felt that PS3 didn't need a great exclusive game, the pure power and ability to play Blu-Ray movies would be more than enough to sell the system. So PS2 owners can still wait a while before they feel a real need to upgrade to the next-gen.
that actually makes sense and the PS3 could have used GOW2, BUT the PS2 has a larger installed home base and would have sold better. To release it on both systems, would have split the development team and would have pushed back its release even further

that actually makes sense and the PS3 could have used GOW2, BUT the PS2 has a larger installed home base and would have sold better. To release it on both systems, would have split the development team and would have pushed back its release even further

Then why release a PS3 at all? Why try to build a new userbase, when you already have a very large one now? Also, you can't use the slow/declining sales of the PS3 as an answer since the games been in development long before Sony knew the PS3 wasn't selling well.

Nothing's gonna convince me this was a good move, it's sends the wrong message to both costumers and developers. Why should costumers shell out $600 for a system while Sony is still releasing first rate games for their old system. Why should 3rd party developers spend the time and money to develop for the new system when Sony in-house developers won't.

Then why release a PS3 at all? Why try to build a new userbase, when you already have a very large one now? Also, you can't use the slow/declining sales of the PS3 as an answer since the games been in development long before Sony knew the PS3 wasn't selling well.

Nothing's gonna convince me this was a good move, it's sends the wrong message to both costumers and developers. Why should costumers shell out $600 for a system while Sony is still releasing first rate games for their old system. Why should 3rd party developers spend the time and money to develop for the new system when Sony in-house developers won't.
bc GOW isnt the beginning and end of gaming. SONY has other games which it has been developing and focusing on for the PS3 which have nothing to do with the PS2. I never said that slow/declining sales of the PS3 was an issue. The fact is no matter how successful the PS3 is, it cant match the number that the PS2 already has, thus less copies would have been sold if it was just a PS3 title.

Sony's in house developers wont develop games for the PS3? Guess you havent heard of Motorstorm, Warhawk, Ratchet and Claink 5, Resistance Fall of Man, Lair, Gran Turismo 5, Genji. You know, those Sony games that they wont develop for the PS3

And what the hell is up with the complaining? Do you own a PS2 or PS3? if you own a PS2, then be happy that SONY thought about someone like you when creating this game. If you have a PS3, then, well guess what? This game is playable on the system as well. If you dont have either, then stop dwelling on this and go play our Xbox, Wii or whatever console you have. Seriously the fans win out with the decision to release this on the PS2

So what part is everyone at?

I've beaten to game and I'm restarting it on Titan mode. I've really gotten a deeper appreciation for the combat with suffering through challenge of the gods. I'm stuck on 'Protect the translator'.

I had problems with the 'Use Madusa to stone shatter 25 enemies within this time limit' until I realized it was easier to just Icarus Wing Jump them into the air and then L1+Square them to death. I just had to be careful about being stone gazed within in mid air (instead death).

I'll be talking about it a lot more later (really fun and stuff O_O), does anyone have any suggestions for how to get through the 'Protect the Translator' Challenge? I was rapid time stopping and saving my Madusa head for when the Double bladed enemies showed up but it's giving me a really hard time) would using a max upgraded chain lighting work better instead of relying on stone shatter?

I have a working version of the game now but Im not touching it until I beat GOW again. I just finished teh Challenge of Atlas so I shouldnt have too much more

I've beaten to game and I'm restarting it on Titan mode. I've really gotten a deeper appreciation for the combat with suffering through challenge of the gods. I'm stuck on 'Protect the translator'.

I had problems with the 'Use Madusa to stone shatter 25 enemies within this time limit' until I realized it was easier to just Icarus Wing Jump them into the air and then L1+Square them to death. I just had to be careful about being stone gazed within in mid air (instead death).

I'll be talking about it a lot more later (really fun and stuff O_O), does anyone have any suggestions for how to get through the 'Protect the Translator' Challenge? I was rapid time stopping and saving my Madusa head for when the Double bladed enemies showed up but it's giving me a really hard time) would using a max upgraded chain lighting work better instead of relying on stone shatter?
I just beat Eurylae on Titan mode.

As for teh translator challenge, I just kept spamming the time-slow thing and using either the hammer or the blade (both maxed out). I rarely ever use medusa's head, but if there was a good grouping of enemies, I would use a maxed out lightning magic. Also, just make sure you move the translator when the aura or whatver it is moves or else he loses health.

I have to say it kind of sucks that you're only able to carry over your stats on difficulties that you've already beaten. :cmad:

Havok pretty much covered that for me.

BTW, Motorstorm and Fight Night = AWESOME

Okay I beat GOW again yesterday. I cant beleive how easy Ares was. For some reason I rememebred him to be more difficult. Anyways, now that Im refreshed on the story, Im playing GOW2. I started last night. So far it seems pretty much more of the same which can be a good thing and a bad thing. Im enjoying it so far. The graphics look pretty good and better than the original.

So what part is everyone?
I'm up to the Titan that talks like Michael Clark Duncan...where you get the earthquake...:oldrazz:..I don't actually know if thats him...I just got it yesterday

Anyone have any strat for that ramp after the two fates before Clothos? I continually get my ass beat there.

I just beat the first God of War, will pick up II really soon :up:

When is the UK release?

BTW, I heard Edge gave it 7/10, whilst games.tm gave it 10/10 and said it was the best game on the PS2.

I'm glad they didn't release it on PS3, it is absolutely fantastic the way it is, hell I wish they'd release the 3rd one on the PS2 as well.
But atleast for the grand finale we will have top notch everything, and it probably still won't manage to top either games.

How do I use newly acquired costumes? They say it is selectable at beginning of "bonus play", I started anew on story mode and was never prompted about costume changes.

******ly, it only let's you carry over your previous stats or use new costumes on difficulties you've already beaten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"