Universal Monsters - Part 1

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Thread Manager, Jun 20, 2017.

1. redhawk23 Wrestlin'

I think it is underestimated how integral to the success of the MCU Kevin Feige is in how he takes on a strong role similar to a TV Show runner. If you're going to try to hand over your mega franchise to someone like Alex Kurtzman you have a complete non starter.

2. zenith16 Registered

And I just saw this freaky article ,to night from Epic stream news articles. and I'm putting this up ,so it doesn't blind side others that have written this off for good reason . some cray peopole managed to keep the damn thing alive . oy .

Universal’s reboot of The Mummy was a giant mess, and was considered a bad movie by most people that saw it. Not helping was the fact that no one really…Read more

source: Epicstream.com

3. TheVileOne Registered

Yup. All that as well.

4. TheVileOne Registered

None of that in that article means jack slack. Terminator Genisys, Warcraft all did great in China AND they all made over $400 million worldwide.

Universal isn't going to push forward with a sequel just because of China after this movie's embarrassing performance.

5. Mysteryman Registered

Unless they do.

6. The Shape In the shadows

Which they might.

7. TheVileOne Registered

Highly doubt it.

8. The Shape In the shadows

9. Lighthouse Fairness, Equality, Bacon

10. Joined:
    Mar 6, 2015
    This universe is dead.

11. Boom I got nothin'

In its current form, yes. The franchise is still perfectly salvageable, but they need a completely new spin on it.

12. terry78 baby, that chicken was dry...real dry

Basically dumpster fire the universe and just make standalone monster movies as they should be.

13. Joined:
    Mar 6, 2015
    Quoted for truth.

14. LoganGambit87 Registered

the problem is universal were more focused on trying to jump on shared universe train instead of just making good movies to build a foundation and jump off from there

15. Joined:
    Mar 6, 2015
    Very true. I still want to see other movies of the monsters. It had great potential.

16. stormtrooper Registered

Exactly. There is still time to course correct though. It sounds like their exploring just solo films and that's the way to go.

17. Lighthouse Fairness, Equality, Bacon

I really don't give a crap about the whole Dark Universe thing, but I still want to see Bill Condon direct a Bride of Frankenstein film.

18. samsnee Ok

Dracula Untold. The Mummy. Third time’s a charm I guess.

19. Joe Von Zombie Hell yeah!

Modestly budgeted R rated HORROR films or universal can **** right off.

20. Boom I got nothin'

This.

And honestly, with the recent successes of Get Out, It, and the Conjuring/Annabelle films, I don't know why Universal wouldn't look to that option. A lot of strong horror outings in recent years, and that's from keeping budgets in check and letting the filmmakers do their thing.

21. Jochimus Autobot Slacker

Not that I personally want to see it remade, but I think it might have made a difference if they'd finally gotten that Gill-Man remake off the ground (preferably by someone actually suited for it or who otherwise knows what they're doing) instead of yet another Dracula or Frankenstein or Mummy or Wolfman.

How exactly you'd sprout a whole monster universe out of that one, I don't know, but I still think it might have helped by not being yet another vampire/werewolf/back-from-the-dead flick.

22. Matt Mortem Karloff is King

Alright. Universal tried the blockbuster route twice. Can they finally admit defeat? I know I was one of the defenders of the Dark Universe and that was chiefly because of how ****ing much I love the Universal Horror movies and I'm rooting for any version of those creatures to succeed. I'd hate for this to close the door on those monsters for good, but Universal needs to figure out what makes them popular in the first place.

23. -JKR- Registered

I don't.

I don't want directors such as Bill Condon delivering cookie-cutter, vanilla blockbusters based on the Universal monsters. And no, the point isn't that this 'universe' needs a Kevin Feige-like 'showrunner,' either.

Andy Muschietti, Guillermo del Toro, the Duffer Brothers, Fede Alvarez, Karyn Kusama, Jordan Peele, Adam Wingard, Jim Mickle, Joe Dante, George Miller - those are people they should start considering.

Let them go wild with an R-rating and a budget BELOW $100 million. Mandate: make the Universal monsters cool and scary again, while telling a great and exciting story. And if it all works out and the audience is hooked, have them cross over.

#73 -JKR-, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  24. Silvermoth Avenger

It's such a shame it didn't work out though. The Mummy movies with Rachel Weisz are some of the most rewatchable flicks of all time I reckon. Just beautiful!

25. Consona Registered

Yea, I have to say those Mummy films are some of the best pulp films ever.