Guardians of the Galaxy GOTG critics review/Rotten Tomatoes discussion - Part 1

I wish the poll had been locked the moment the first review hit. I'd be interested to see what people were actually predicting without the bias of seeing the reviews.

I voted 80-85% to lowball but was actually hoping for 86-89% so I'm happy it is doing so well

Damn... some fool posted another rotten review :(. No we're back down to 92

I know it's the posters' opinion but I find it funny how the latest rotten review is 3/5 but the positive one below it is 2.5/5

Now it will need 10 straight positive to get back to 93%

Damn... some fool posted another rotten review :(. No we're back down to 92

Yeah, I am reading that review, he seems to not like it and his followers agree because it's not following some British pop culture. Too American for his taste.:huh:

Let's drop some of their tea in our harbor. :up:

Yeah, I am reading that review, he seems to not like it and his followers agree because it's not following some British pop culture. Too American for his taste.:huh:

He's a Turd Blossom. :cwink:

David Bowie's not British?

Admittedly I had no clue who Jackson Pollack and I'd heard of John Stamos but dunno what the outlaw joke was about. I would say there were 3 references in there that only Americans would get and presumably Americans of a certain age as well.

But 3, is hardly anything to complain about.

And why is it unreasonable to think that a kid from the American heartland would mainly be brought up on American pop culture? I'm from the UK and I was brought up mainly on American pop culture.

Having not read the review we are talking about so not sure what this guy said exactly, but I highly doubt he would say there shouldn't be American Pop culture references after all like 90% of pop culture is American.

And why is it unreasonable to think that a kid from the American heartland would mainly be brought up on American pop culture? I'm from the UK and I was brought up mainly on American pop culture.

I can't imagine that an 8 year old would know so many pop culture references, or that he would maintain them 25 years later, but whatever this movie has giant alien heads as mining colonies.

I can't imagine that an 8 year old would know so many pop culture references, or that he would maintain them 25 years later, but whatever this movie has giant alien heads as mining colonies.

I understand the maintaining, because isn't that what we all do? Memories of our first movie, first album, first kiss etc...

I don't see how it's a problem, it's not like he was throwing out references just for the sake of it.

I understand the maintaining, because isn't that what we all do? Memories of our first movie, first album, first kiss etc...

I don't see how it's a problem, it's not like he was throwing out references just for the sake of it.

Most people you know are aware of some culture they were introduced to when they were 4,5,6,7 as Peter Quill has, and they're also aware of a lot, often more, of what they were introduced to in later years, particularly what's big in our teenage years due to the emotional intensity of puberty.

We don't see Quill refer to anything other than the immense popular culture he knew about from before the age of 8.

But really it's fine, I get it, Quill is the audience surrogate.

It's pretty clear Quill hasn't developed like a regular person would.

And that walkman and those references are all he has from Earth. It makes sense that he clings on to them. It's like heightened nostalgia.

Another friggin' negative review/rotten tomato. Haven't read it yet, but I was really hoping it could go back up to 93%. Eh...oh well. Just like it when this movie's getting a lot of praise. Hehe

Most people you know are aware of some culture they were introduced to when they were 4,5,6,7 as Peter Quill has, and they're also aware of a lot, often more, of what they were introduced to in later years, particularly what's big in our teenage years due to the emotional intensity of puberty.

We don't see Quill refer to anything other than the immense popular culture he knew about from before the age of 8.

But really it's fine, I get it, Quill is the audience surrogate.

Quill held on to those Earth pop cultures like he does to the mix tape; they allow him to remember his mother and the world he left behind after he was abducted. They keep his memories of his childhood alive even when he's light years away from Earth.

Another friggin' negative review/rotten tomato. Haven't read it yet, but I was really hoping it could go back up to 93%. Eh...oh well. Just like it when this movie's getting a lot of praise. Hehe

Well, 92% is a very impressive number. I think most reviewers have reviewed the movie and I hope it stays in 92%

Marvel's "Guardians of the Galaxy" - The #1 Movie in the Universe

I continue to be surprised and very pleased by just how high a critic score Guardians of the Galaxy has. Due to Gunn's eccentric sensibilities, I remember saying I imagined this being a film that I would love, but that a lot of people would hate. But Gunn has crafted something with true mass appeal.

Basically he completely subverted the critics expectations which they found refreshing.

It's pretty clear Quill hasn't developed like a regular person would.

And that walkman and those references are all he has from Earth. It makes sense that he clings on to them. It's like heightened nostalgia.

It would be nice to see him come back to earth and react to the rise of Justin Bieber and the post 80's life of Micheal Jackson.

I was born in 1985 and I still understand all those references (and remember cartoons I watched in my childhood)

I was in my single digits back in the 80's and I'm still more attached to the pop culture of that decade more than that of my teens/20's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"