Guardians of the Galaxy GOTG critics review/Rotten Tomatoes discussion - Part 1

Marvel is no way in the same respect as Pixar is.

So after this Marvel's average RT will be 80%

That's mighty impressive considering how much CBMs are bashed nowadays.They have become the new Pixar in half the time,all with little known actors and directors
I am enjoying the heck out of Marvel, but lets not get crazy. The Toy Story Trilogy, Wall-E, Up, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc., Ratatouille. Legit, all time classics. Pixar is even the home of the best superhero film ever. :cwink:

Marvel is no way in the same respect as Pixar is.

I liken MCU to Pixar in terms of consistency.

Of course Pixar has it's Toy Story Trilogy, Up, Wall-E, Incredibles, Nemo and Ratatouille to MCU's Iron Man, Avengers, TWS and possibly GOTG.

It's to a lesser extent but even Pixar hasn't been perfect with both Cars movies, the sequel much less so then Brave and Monster's University.

I don't know, Pixar these days seems to have grown more. . . ordinary. I mean, the last couple really awesome animated films have been from core Disney, not Pixar ( Frozen and Wreck-It Ralph ).

I am enjoying the heck out of Marvel, but lets not get crazy. The Toy Story Trilogy, Wall-E, Up, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc., Ratatouille. Legit, all time classics. Pixar is even the home of the best superhero film ever. :cwink:

Pixar:
Duration-19yrs
Movies-14
Average Budget-140 Million
Average Gross-600 Million
Average RT-89%

Marvel:
Duration-6 yrs
Movies-10
Average Budget-170M
Average Gross-700M(Assuming GOTG does 650M)
Average RT-81%

I think they are very much comparable,especially with Marvel achieving that level within such a short period,not to mention they had to deal with making a shared universe and bias critics have against CBMs

Pixar:
Duration-19yrs
Movies-14
Average Budget-140 Million
Average Gross-600 Million
Average RT-89%

Marvel:
Duration-6 yrs
Movies-10
Average Budget-170M
Average Gross-700M(Assuming GOTG does 650M)
Average RT-81%

I think they are very much comparable,especially with Marvel achieving that level within such a short period,not to mention they had to deal with making a shared universe and bias critics have against CBMs

There is probably a bigger critic bias against cartoons than against CBMs.

Pixar has been a critical darling since Toy Story. There has never been such a thing as "Pixar fatigue" or even "animation fatigue". Even non-Pixar animation has been getting great critical response the last few years. Hell, a blatant product placement movie called The Lego Movie has a 95% on RT. There is ZERO bias against (good) animated films. You're just flat out wrong.

I don't think so

On the contrary,they go pretty easy on animated movies.While they don't hesitate bashing CBMs to smithereens even if it is flawed a little bit.Movies like say Origins,Daredevil,TASM,The Wolverine,SM3 are not as bad as they are rated

The last ten years has been a Golden Age of prestige animated films, and the critics have been completely on board. here's just a sample:

2008 Wal-E 96%, Bolt 88%, Kung Fu Pand 87%
2009 Up 98%, Fantastic Mr. Fox 92%, Coraline 90%
2010 Toy Story 3 99%, How to Train Your Dragon 98%, Tangled 89%
2011 Arthur Christmas 91%, Rango 88%, Winnie the Pooh 90%
2012 Secret World of Arriety 94%, Frankenweenie 87%, Wreck it Ralph 86%
2013 Frozen 89%
2014 Lego Movie 96%, HtTYD 92%...

I could have gone all the way back to Toy Story 1, but you get the idea. And there are a ton of Japanese and other non-Hollywood animated films that critics have fawned over that I didnt even include. You win the "foolish statement contrary to obvious facts" Award of the day DA. Congrats.

Are you kidding me? There are several different cartoons that are among the 100 highest rated ever on RT. There is not one single CBM on that list.

Ah, to be unfettered by evidence/reason/reality. You can post pretty much anything that pops into your head. Must be nice.

Not the best as far as I'm concerned but solidly in the top 3 superhero movies, I'd say. But as far as I'm concerned, The Incredibles is really all they have that's for me. The rest while I have enjoyed some of them well enough, I simply don't care about them. Hell, most of them(that I have seen at all) I never bothered to go see in the theater anyway. So maybe these are classics and such.....if you're really into animation. I'm not so they don't really show up on my radar.

Theyre also classics to many many average filmgoers without any particular love for animation. Hence the 4 quadrant box office #s for most Pixar films. They arent niche films made for those who are "really into animation". Quite the opposite in fact.

Perhaps it's just that I'm "really NOT into animation" unless y'know it's about comic book superheroes and such. Basically there's only 2 non-superhero animated films in history that I really connect to: Fantasia and Prince of Egypt.

Anyway, 3 more positives in a row and it's hello 93% and tying IM1 as Mavel Studios's highest critical scorer(sort of...Avengers still has the highest average). Though since it's now opened I guess the RT score means even less now. Social media will do the WOM thing now.

It is not in the bag yet, but if it did, who would have thought this would have had the highest RT score of all CBMs this year? It doesn't effect my love for the film but it's just a cool notch to have on it belt. Just the other day, someone made a remark about this movie being rated less than another certain CBM and them saying that was a jinx or something as that movie went down by one and GotG shot up quite a bit. :hehe:

It is not in the bag yet, but if it did, who would have thought this would have had the highest RT score of all CBMs this year? It doesn't effect my love for the film but it's just a cool notch to have on it belt. Just the other day, someone made a remark about this movie being rated less than another certain CBM and them saying that was a jinx or something as that movie went down by one and GotG shot up quite a bit. :hehe:

All it has to achieve that is to hold what it's got so far, but considering it's just 3 positive reviews from going up again I'd say it's looking mighty good. It could even take a negative review right now and not drop any.

Overall Marvel/DC Rotten Tomatoes Ratings (Highest to Lowest)

Spider-Man 2 / The Dark Knight (94%)
Iron Man / Superman (93%)
The Avengers / Guardians of the Galaxy (92%)
X-Men: Days of Future Past (91%)
Superman II / Spider-Man / Captain America: The Winter Soldier (89%)
The Dark Knight Rises (88%)
X2: X-Men United / X-Men: First Class (87%)
Batman Begins (85%)
X-Men (82%)
Batman Returns (81%)
Captain America: The First Avenger (79%)
Iron Man 3 (78%)
Thor (77%)
Superman Returns (76%)
The Amazing Spider-Man / Iron Man 2 (73%)
Batman (71%)
The Wolverine (69%)
The Incredible Hulk (67%)
Thor: The Dark World / Watchmen (65%)
Spider-Man 3 (63%)
Hulk (62%)
Blade II (59%)
X-Men: The Last Stand (57%)
Man of Steel (56%)
Blade (55%)
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (53%)
Daredevil (45%)
Batman Forever (41%)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (38%)
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (37%)
The Punisher (29%)
Fantastic Four / Punisher: War Zone (27%)
Ghost Rider / Blade: Trinity / Green Lantern / Superman III (26%)
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (18%)
Batman & Robin / Jonah Hex (12%)
Elektra (10%)
Catwoman / Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (9%)

GotG just keeps rolling on RT. :cool:

Pixar has been a critical darling since Toy Story. There has never been such a thing as "Pixar fatigue" or even "animation fatigue". Even non-Pixar animation has been getting great critical response the last few years. Hell, a blatant product placement movie called The Lego Movie has a 95% on RT. There is ZERO bias against (good) animated films. You're just flat out wrong.
Not quite true. There have been many down periods for animated films. Pixar not only picked up the slack for Disney after The Lion King, but it also took animation to new critical heights consistently. They were the first company outside of Disney in the US to make a business out of animation.

From Toy Story through Toy Story 3, with the exception of Cars, each Pixar film saw many a prestigious top 10 list. Up and Toy Story 3 were nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars. Adults of all ages, not just kids, look forward to Pixar films.

Not the best as far as I'm concerned but solidly in the top 3 superhero movies, I'd say. But as far as I'm concerned, The Incredibles is really all they have that's for me. The rest while I have enjoyed some of them well enough, I simply don't care about them. Hell, most of them(that I have seen at all) I never bothered to go see in the theater anyway. So maybe these are classics and such.....if you're really into animation. I'm not so they don't really show up on my radar.
See, bias against animation.:D

This is something that Pixar has really put a dent in over the last 20 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"