Guardians of the Galaxy GOTG critics review/Rotten Tomatoes discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarvelU

Sidekick
Reaction score
Seeing as this movie is less than a month away, this thread is for discussing the critical reception of GOTG. What do you think the RT score will be?

The thing this movie has going for it, is that it isn't just any ordinary superhero team movie

I'm guessing 70's. Mid to high 70's.
I'm being a bit pessimistic as it wouldn't shock me if it were higher, but you never know.

I'm guessing somewhere in the 70s as well. Although I really want it to be higher

When is the premiere/ when will critic reviews be out?

I'm gonna go low 80s

No poll?

Anyway, I'll be curious if this will be the first rotten MCU film.

Hopefully Marvel can keep their track record completely fresh.

I want it to be really high, but I'm thinking 76%-79%.

I voted mid 70s but I think it could maybe reach low 80s.

The thing this movie has going for it, is that it isn't just any ordinary superhero team movie

I think that can work to its advantage with many reviewers provided it's not doinky.

I'm playing it safe and going with 66%-69%. I have a feeling the critics aren't going to be praising this one.

I don't think Guardians of the Galaxy is going to be as highly-rated as Captain America: The Winter Soldier, though I personally may like it more. Looking at James Gunn's filmography, he makes films where people who like them REALLY like them, but others who don't get it are left cold. I have a feeling this could be similar.

Last edited:
Yeah I hope it's liked by both fans and critics. But I'm much more concerned with the box office numbers.

Of course If I'm personally disappointed in the film, none of these numbers will matter to me. But I'm not that worried after watching the preview.

Judging from what I saw eh I would say anything between 70% to 85%. I can see critics criticizing the plot (which was straight forward) but the film will have good reviews, or at least I hope so. It's different from the current slate of CBMs we are getting so far so that might give it an edge with the critics. We'll see.

I think RT scores for MCU films have been fairly accurate.

Since I expect GotG to slightly exceed Thor 2 in quality I'd hope for around 65-70%.

I am hoping for mid to high 80's... But I'm expecting around 70-75% on the RT meter.

I hope it doesn't drop below that. Although a few critical reviews are already writing themselves in my head LOL!

No poll?

Anyway, I'll be curious if this will be the first rotten MCU film.

Hopefully Marvel can keep their track record completely fresh.

I am curious as to when Marvel will finally have a rotten film. They haven't had a stinker yet.
Something tell's me this won't be their first dud, though. There's just to much talent for it to fail. It might not meet some fans lofty expectations but I doubt it's going to flop in any regard.

I'm thinking, given that Gunn's sensibilities have never been universally embraced by critics, that it will end up somewhere in the high 70's.

I'm rolling the dice on the 90% range. Seems like the buzz out of the preview is through the roof.

In the 70s or 80s percentage wise. With an average rating in the high 6s or low 7s.

But i'm just stoked (yes i used a word from the 90s) that a GotG movie is even happening. As long as it does the characters justice and is a lot of fun i'm not too fussed if the critics love or hate it. Even if it's technically a bad film, i'm sure i'll enjoy it.

That's something i've noticed about Marvels films. Some of them haven't been great. But still, they do the characters justice (for the most part) and that is rewarding for a fan. That is how they've built up so much good will with fans and now the general public. The passion and sense of fun is there for all to see.

Like, The Dark Knight is a better film than most Marvel films in my opinion. But it's actual portrayal of Batman himself is lame. For me, he's easily the weakest, least interesting main character in the movie. Harvey Dent and Commish Gordon are more compelling, obviously Joker too.

So as a fan i'm more likely to show the benefit of the doubt to Marvel because their titular characters always come off awesome and you can tell the creators actually give a **** about the source material, even if some of the movies overall aren't brilliantly made.

I disagree about Batman not being well characterised in The Dark Knight, I think the more I watch that film the more I appreciate that it's Christian Bale that holds it all together, and in its way it's as much Batman's story as Batman Begins was.

I also disagree with the notion that the actual quality of the film is secondary to fan service. You can have all the cameos and Easter eggs you want, for me at least it's all for nothing if the actual film doesn't work as a film on its own merits. I'm a comic fan, but I'm also a movie fan, and I think the bar for superhero cinema has now been raised too high for something that's just "good for a comic book movie." I don't judge a superhero film's success or failure on how accurate they got the costumes or how many comics continuity references they threw in. I judge it by acting, by character, by plot. And this is why I've enjoyed the Marvel Studios films, particularly the Phase 2 output. Because they work so well not just as comic adaptations, but as films.

I disagree about Batman not being well characterised in The Dark Knight, I think the more I watch that film the more I appreciate that it's Christian Bale that holds it all together, and in its way it's as much Batman's story as Batman Begins was.

He was well characterised. But for me that character wasn't the Bruce Wayne/Batman i want to see. Whining about not having a normal life and losing his girl is not something i want Bruce Wayne to be doing. Wanting someone else to take up his mantle and also trying to steal his girl away is not something i want Bruce Wayne to be doing.

Passing the responsibility of protecting Gotham onto someone else... then also trying to steal their girl? That is like, the complete opposite of what Batman is about in my view.

Plus i just thought Batman was lame in a visceral sense.

I also disagree with the notion that the actual quality of the film is secondary to fan service. You can have all the cameos and Easter eggs you want, for me at least it's all for nothing if the actual film doesn't work as a film on its own merits. I'm a comic fan, but I'm also a movie fan, and I think the bar for superhero cinema has now been raised too high for something that's just "good for a comic book movie." I don't judge a superhero film's success or failure on how accurate they got the costumes or how many comics continuity references they threw in. I judge it by acting, by character, by plot. And this is why I've enjoyed the Marvel Studios films, particularly the Phase 2 output. Because they work so well not just as comic adaptations, but as films.

I'm not saying i would accept a lower quality film just because it has accurate costumes and easter eggs. I'm not talking about that superficial stuff.

I'm talking about the actual characters themselves. The characters are what makes us love the comics right? So the very least i ask for is they are done justice in the movies.

Of course i won't just settle for "good for a comic book movie". And i believe the likes of The Winter Soldier and Iron Man 3 are great movies regardless of what genre or where they came from. But a huge part of them being great movies for me is because they fully respect the characters and do them justice. For example The Winter Soldier is i think, one of the best portrayals of a titular character in any comic book movie ever.

In summery, I feel Marvel has more good will and gets the benefit of the doubt more because there is real passion, love and respect for the characters and their worlds.

I think the biggest example of a somewhat accurate CBM that was a critical and box office flop is Green Lantern.

Yeah great execution and storytelling are definitely a must. I love accuracy but those come first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"