Gotham City

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by Astro13Zombie, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Kirk Langstrom

Kirk Langstrom FRANCINE!!!!

I want to see some blimps in the Gotham skyline, like they did on the animated series. I don’t think any of the live action movies have done that yet...

2. Aximili86

Aximili86 Registered

Yep, airships would go right with that 30s/40s asthetic (obviously without being an actual 30s/40s setting), bring it on.

I seriously doubt they'd do it though. But seems this is a bit of a steering of the ship in a different direction from the stuff so far, so maybe they're actually willing to let Reeves fly and get crazy, hope so.

3. OutOfBoose

OutOfBoose Russian Hacker

+1 for airships. They looked good even in 80s.

[​IMG]

And even in future-80s:

[​IMG]

4. thebatfan5194

thebatfan5194 Registered

Art Deco meets grimey late 70s NYC

DKDetective and I Am The Knight like this.
  5. Aximili86

Aximili86 Registered

Airships are actually kinda making a modern comeback anyway, cutting-edge ones mostly for transport deliveries and stuff.

They tend to be smaller and less-cool-looking though, wouldn't fit the sleazy crumbling art-deco hellhole look at all. But clearly if they have the nerve to go really stylized here than realism doesn't need to be much of a factor anyway.

6. MrsKent26

MrsKent26 Whatever.

I think the underlying architecture should look old, almost oddly so, but with trashy modern neon signs and lights plastered on top of it here and there. Keep it almost monochromatic aside from these modern flashes and heavy looking. It would look like something that was a great city, in its day, and built to last, but later went untended. Its citizens would be used to it, but it would be immediately obvious to folks passing through that its golden age had long since passed and they'd remark on how the tall buildings and structures seem to block out the sun (true Gothamites would become used to the darkness and hardly notice). Still, it wouldn't be ugly per say, or obviously "evil/corrupt" looking, just a gray and unforgiving maze that feels like its closing in on the people below.

Basically, a city like Metropolis would be shiny, new, inviting and would draw new people from all over the country in to live there. A Gotham-type city would be more appealing to its die-hard, desensitized residents and their offspring, while out-of-towners look nervously down streets like these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Boy Scout

Boy Scout Registered

Great to see you posting regularly again, Mrs. Kent. :up: I agree with pretty much everything you said.

8. MrsKent26

MrsKent26 Whatever.

Thanks Boy Scout:yay:

9. TheGuy

TheGuy Smile

A mixture of Arkham City and Arkham Knight. Make Gotham a contrast of the old and new, rich and poor, dark and bright. Arkham City for the decrypt areas and Arkham Knight for the modern look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Random490

Random490 Registered

Arkham games are a great source. Gotham should be a combination of gothic, art deco, and modern. It should look like a city with lots of history and lots of secrets but still real and lived in. I can very easily see people over designing. While Arkham Knight's layout was too focused on race tracks they still nailed that balance, though it feels a little too rundown.

OutOfBoose and TheGuy like this.
  11. BobJM

BobJM Who's Bad?

Still think that the above Telltale games and this concept art is the ideal representation of Gotham. Massive, congested, and littered in the garbage and smog of it's own making.

C Prometheus likes this.
  12. Jekecy

Jekecy Registered

It's tough to make Gotham truly a hellhole and justify the rich still occupy and keep the city alive. It'd be more sensible to make certain areas of the city dangerous, and keep sizable portions as thriving.

13. Gothamsknight

Gothamsknight Registered

This would be amazing. The Arkham games have some of the most gorgeous bits of Gotham I've seen from all forms of media including the comics.

TheGuy likes this.
  14. TheGuy

TheGuy Smile

Indeed. One thing I would be up against is making Gotham an island city. I know that is comic canon, but I never liked it. Lol. Just make Gotham part of the mainland.

15. TMP98

TMP98 Registered

I'd love something like Blade Runner 2049, but maybe a bit less tech heavy. Reeves established a sense of place so well in Apes 2, I have no doubt he can do the same for this.

C Prometheus likes this.
  16. cryptic name

cryptic name No Limits

Reeves tweeting about listening to the Taxi Driver soundtrack while writing really brought this image of Gotham to mind.[​IMG]

17. cryptic name

cryptic name No Limits

The notion that they're gonna be filming this in London may give us a pretty decent idea of the elements we may be seeing in Reeves' Gotham

C Prometheus likes this.
  18. David H.

David H. * pointed first.

“... yes. Father. I shall get organezized.”

19. TheScarecrow

TheScarecrow Registered

I think a huge problem with the DCEU was that they failed to give Metropolis, Gotham and whatever city Suicide Squad took place in their own identities. They should all look so different and unique.

20. Boy Scout

Boy Scout Registered

That was the least of their problems.

Astro13Zombie likes this.
  21. Gamma Goliath

Gamma Goliath Engine of Destruction

Gotham was boring in the nolan movies too. I'm liking the rumors about it being filmed in London though. Should have plenty of gothic architecture there.

Rorschach2012 likes this.
  22. TheScarecrow

TheScarecrow Registered

It wasn't in Begins.

For Nolan's it worked because we'd actually never seen anything like that before. For DCEU it isn't (with the exception of Shazam, because it took place in Philly) because everything looks the same.

23. Gamma Goliath

Gamma Goliath Engine of Destruction

I barely remember Gotham in begins honestly.

24. Jekecy

Jekecy Registered

BB Gotham wasn't all that different, contrary to popular belief. The unique architecture everyone references is just the Narrows, which in itself is just a small island right off Gotham. Not the actual city itself.

antsman41 likes this.
  25. cryptic name

cryptic name No Limits

The cool thing about Gotham in Begins was the inclusion of The Narrows. The sort of stylized, Blade Runner by way of Hong Kong aesthetic made for an interesting contrast with the Chicago stuff. We could use more of that, for sure.

C Prometheus likes this.