Grand Theft Auto V (A.K.A 5) - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could definitely see them doing Tokyo. There was quite a bit of talk about it post-San Andreas. Not sure how they would deal with the language barrier though. Also be funny how many people would be surprised by the fact that the Japanese drive on the "other side" of the road.

But I could also see Hong Kong. It's a large, international city, so language wouldn't be an issue. Still have cars on the other side though.

I do like period pieces.

Not sure how others feel.

I really didn't even notice it in San Andreas, because the 90's weren't really that different from the early 2000's. Probably notice it more now, ten years later.
I love period pieces too. It's a big reason why I enjoyed games like Mafia II and LA Noire, because the time and setting really added to it, and I think that was definitely the case for Vice City and San Andreas.

I could definitely see them doing Tokyo. There was quite a bit of talk about it post-San Andreas. Not sure how they would deal with the language barrier though. Also be funny how many people would be surprised by the fact that the Japanese drive on the "other side" of the road.

But I could also see Hong Kong. It's a large, international city, so language wouldn't be an issue. Still have cars on the other side though.
Well there was already Sleeping Dogs which was was like a GTA game and having recently played it, driving on the opposite side of the street was pretty different and left me confused for a while, but since its been done already, I wouldn't see Rockstar having a problem with it.

But I think the story and gameplay in Sleeping dogs worked very well because of the environment and how much the combat and lack of gun play was tailored for it. Not to mention, GTA has never left the three big cities, so I don't know how likely it is that they'll go anywhere else unless they decide to introduce a new city into the Franchise.

GTA: London. So ya they've left the big three before.

The main reason GTA players wouldn't have a problem with driving on the left side of the street is because we spend half our time there anyway. The other half is mostly spent speeding down the sidewalk :funny:

GTA: London. So ya they've left the big three before.
True true, I forgot about that, and for some reason I kept thinking that if they did go overseas, London would make the most sense. But after watching the Retrospective from Gametrailers a few months back, I was very surprised to hear that the Big Three Cities were actually a part of the original game. I always thought they were making it up as they go, especially considering the Liberty City from GTA III was much different than the one in GTA IV.

I have no interest in seeing Grand Theft Auto leave the States. I feel Americana is such an integral part of the DNA of GTA (as well as Fallout) that if you're going to set them anyplace else, you might as well just make a new IP.

As for where I would like to see the series go after Los Santos, I think it's reasonable to assume with with the way things are going GTA VI will be set in Vice City, but after that I would like to see them create new locations. Recycling the same three cities over and over again isn't very appealing to me.

Last edited:
America has been done to death with this series, it's long over due to see some international cities.

I've heard that suggestion before, about GTA sticking to America, but I don't feel it's as integral a part of the series as others (like the honorable Mr. Soapy) do. While it's true that the series has almost been exclusively about parodying the American way of life, I think Rockstar could do just as well aiming their searing sense of humor at other cultures. Taking a crack at China, Japan, or even London again would be enormously entertaining and a refreshing change of pace. After all, how many times can you make the "America likes guns!" observation before it gets old?

As long as the USA remains ripe for getting ripped on, I'm ok with GTA staying here. It's an integral part of the modern series.

To be fair, each of the big games have been a social commentary for the given time period. Even with the last few recent ones, they've done them spread out enough that times have changed. Going into GTA V, a lot of people saw the first trailer and thought thee main issue would be the "haves" vs the "have-nots" and that alone is an interesting concept considering how much the economy changed in the past 5 years.

Also, its easy to make fun of America, but imagine some kind of international incident that could ensue from making fun of some foreign country that doesn't understand the concept of parody?

I suppose any real international city would work. Rio de Janeiro for example could probably work. But everyone has preferences. They were talking about Bogota for a while.

Top on my list would be Hong Kong, Tokyo, and New Orleans (America's most unique city).

London doesn't do much for me personally. It's rather dreary.

One of the reasons GTA fits so well in the USA is because we're the most crime-ridden nation on earth. While GTA's ultra-violence can definitely go over the top (though not to the absurd levels of Saints Row), it's not *that* far-fetched to feel like gangsters and bank robbers and gunrunners and drug smugglers would be loose in the streets of (pseudo) New York, LA, or Miami. Places like London, Paris, Hong Kong, and Tokyo are pretty sanitized, and I can't get immersed or believe in a sprawling crime saga taking place in those cities.

Might be interesting to have a wide-open real-world sandbox war zone someday, though. Like say, Jerusalem, complete with Gaza and the West Bank; or Baghdad; or Beirut.

One of the reasons GTA fits so well in the USA is because we're the most crime-ridden nation on earth. While GTA's ultra-violence can definitely go over the top (though not to the absurd levels of Saints Row), it's not *that* far-fetched to feel like gangsters and bank robbers and gunrunners and drug smugglers would be loose in the streets of (pseudo) New York, LA, or Miami. Places like London, Paris, Hong Kong, and Tokyo are pretty sanitized, and I can't get immersed or believe in a sprawling crime saga taking place in those cities.

Might be interesting to have a wide-open real-world sandbox war zone someday, though. Like say, Jerusalem, complete with Gaza and the West Bank; or Baghdad; or Beirut.

I wouldn't say America is the most crime-ridden country in the world. Perhaps by reported cases, which is a rather shortsighted way of counting, given that in countries like Brazil, crime and corruption are so widespread, that it's usually not even reported. Same with Mexico, and really any country full of crime and corruption.

Hong Kong and London have their own sizable underworlds. Especially Hong Kong (birthplace of the Triads) So, really, you might just need to get out more. Or watch more movies international crime flicks.

In the Western World, yeah. But on the entire Earth? No way. Check out Russia, among other Eastern European nations, plenty of African countries are riddled with crime.

As for a war zone, I think there's enough war games around to keep the GTA franchise far away from that genre. Part of the beauty with GTA is being able to wander down a normal street with citizens going about their day and disrupting it as you see fit.

Ahh well, each to their own. I should clarify that I'd only really like a 'foreign' city if the game was going to do multiple locations. If Rockstar are only going to stick to one city, keep it American. But if they can do 2-3, I'd like at least one to be in another country.

I see it sort of as a trade off. Three cities would be awesome. But I'd just as happily have one, single super detailed city.

Oh yeah, for sure. I'm happy with whatever Rockstar give us honestly. Just spit-balling possibilities. GTA VI is probably a good 4-5 years away at this stage.

an international GTA game would be sick

Tokyo, Rio, & London all would look awesome

Hong Kong and Tokyo would be my top two choices.

I wouldn't hate Rio though.

Hong Kong and Tokyo would be my top picks as well. Tokyo especially, because I'm sure Rockstar's take on Japanese urban culture would be amazing.

I think a few years ago, I would have loved to have seen a GTA game set in Hong Kong or Tokyo, but after playing Sleeping Dogs, I don't want to see Rockstar take on that because they just got it right in Sleeping Dogs. The guns law are different, so the game had to be tailored more towards hand combat and it worked perfectly in a way that I don't think Rockstar would want or try to replicate.

Okay, with each of the GTA III era games being available on PSN starting tomorrow, I'm thinking of buying either one or two games, but I'm not sure which. Right now, I'm leaning towards definitely getting LCS and maybe GTA III, but I also want to get into Vice City to see that time period. But then there's also SA, which I've never played and kinda want to see what all the hype is about, especially in preparation for GTAV.

I want GTA:Mexico,With all the crime going on there with many different drug cartels dominating the country&goverment/brutal killings&kidnappings and very high rate of vehicle thefts..It'd be perfect for the franchise although the controversy of playing as someone working for the Mexican drug cartels and able to kill innocents&cause chaos in that country would get intense at this time.

Plus as a Hispanic I'd love to play a GTA game based on Mexico,Hopefully the stereotyping wouldn't be so bad and portray non-criminals Mexicans as being poor folks in small houses and other BS

It's very beautiful in many parts of the country and just full of potential for a GTA game,Acapulco/Cancun&Puerto Vayarta would be like Vice City..Mexico D.F. Would be like Liberty City and Monterrey would be like Los Santos

I want GTA:Mexico,With all the crime going on there with many different drug cartels dominating the country&goverment/brutal killings&kidnappings and very high rate of vehicle thefts..It'd be perfect for the franchise although the controversy of playing as someone working for the Mexican drug cartels and able to kill innocents&cause chaos in that country would get intense at this time.

Plus as a Hispanic I'd love to play a GTA game based on Mexico,Hopefully the stereotyping wouldn't be so bad and portray non-criminals Mexicans as being poor folks in small houses and other BS

It's very beautiful in many parts of the country and just full of potential for a GTA game,Acapulco/Cancun&Puerto Vayarta would be like Vice City..Mexico D.F. Would be like Liberty City and Monterrey would be like Los Santos

i actually wanted to suggest a GTA: Mexico as well. i'm Mexican so it'd be cool to see a GTA game set in that country. but like you said, with all the cartel & drug related deaths that happen, it would be a pretty controversial game. many people will get all super sensitive about it.

Rockstar and the GTA series are no stranger to controversy.

I had an idea some time ago about setting an open world game, preferably GTA, around the US/Mexican border. The northern part of the map would be LA/San Diego, the southern Tijuana or whatever the GTA-universe's equivalent is. Could make for some fun smuggling missions, amongst other mischief.

In sick of seeing LA in video games, especially open world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back