Green Goblin Costume Design

Discussion in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' started by harryoscop, May 5, 2015.

1. NotSoLongAgo #spidermansolit

He should be creepy but I dunno about full on scary. That's not a requirement for me. As long as Gobby is his crazy, fun to watch self im good.

2. PT9357 Registered

Did you consider Judge Doom as a full-on scary character? He was disturbing but personally I thought that particular scene was so entertaining because of his crazy/maniacal attitude. His physical appearance and gimmicks were just a bonus.

Not that I want the Goblin to be exactly like him, obviously he has to be much less cartoonish - after all none of us are kids anymore.

Plus, since he'd have additional screen time he'd need to have many more dimensions to his character. Part of the reason why Doom's transition worked so well was because of it's short run time.

I just think that Judge Doom's Toon form would be a good inspiration in terms of impact.

3. NotSoLongAgo #spidermansolit

Even that is too much though. Because then it just becomes alot of dramatic irony with no real payoff. We know Norman is Gobby, no one else in the movie does. When it's revealed to Peter, there's no oomph to it. Where's the fun in that? Wouldn't you want to be on your toes, questioning whether or not Norman even is Gobby? (Something Spectacular Spider-man did extremely well) The other way, having Goblin appear out of the blue with no explanation is much better. It has more dramatic potential, it's what a writer should aspire for because it's more challenging to pull off and has a great pay-off. Look it at this way:

Imagine if in the movie Scream the first five minutes showed why the killer killed, and why he wore that iconic costume. The rest of the movie would just be dramatic irony as we wait for Sydney to finally figure it out.

Instead we question the killers identity the whole movie and it pays off really well. It's the difference between a simple villain and one that's purposefully drawn out. I just don't like for movies to spell everything out for me.

4. Batsfan1 Registered

I thought it would work as a holographic image that matches his facial movements projected over his face.

God bless everyone!

5. Spider-Ranger aka Goran

That 's a nice approach indeed, but there are two things working against it:

1. From the audience's point of view, everybody knows Norman is the Goblin ^^ the idea of not knowing who the Gobby is would only work, if they really do surprise us in the end, i.e. making Harry the actual Goblin. We already got that with TASM2... and it didn't really connect well to the audience/fans

2. In Scream the killer always explains himself and his actions in a big monologue at the end. Even if playing with the killer's identity was as noble as you make it out to be (from the writer's perspective that is), it always is kinda lousy and cliché as well.

6. ernesth100 The Writing Avenger

Its not the parents fault they care about there kids. :)

7. Wildcard Cataclysmic Titan

It doesn't have to over-reach in terms of making the Goblin horrifying, just strike that perfect balance. He needs to be creepy & made to be a genuine threat without them necessarily taking it to slasher movie levels, let's say.

8. PT9357 Registered

Sure, but being scared/freaked out is a big part of being a kid. Roger Rabbit is generally seen as one of the better family films of all time. It's just funny to think of how parents of today would react to that film.

Kids will always be afraid of something, if not an insane half man/half toon homicidal maniac then probably some antagonist on My Little Pony. I don't think parents understand that you can't make your child immune to fear.

Of course, I'm not saying to show them IT or Child's Play!

But I digress, I'm getting waaay off topic. :woot:

9. PT9357 Registered

Yeah, I really don't think a Goblin mystery would work. This film has to be self-aware of it's position, and taking that kind of route would be similar to trying to make Uncle Ben's death a twist.

That said - it would have been a rather interesting direction to take back in 2002. But too little too late I suppose.

10. Webhead2006 The Web-Swinger

All I want is a more accurate to comics look for him. Like we get with loki, winter solider, red skull, thanos fir example. I can easily see marvel nailing a more true to comics look. And I could care less if they explain how his look comes to be.

11. harryoscop Registered

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a Goblin who looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    [Actual concept art for the first Spider-Man film)

I want a legitimately creepy Goblin this time around, and who the heck cares about little kids? they get scared by characters in shows like "My Little Pony". And besides, did little kids stop Nolan from making a legitimately scary looking Two Face for The Dark Knight? nope, I didn't think so.

Give me a Goblin like the concept art above.

12. SoNicRaDiATioN Registered

I've always loved that design. Like you said, who cares about little kids, let them watch USM.

13. TheGearMan Hero

1) I don't like the design in general.
    2) That suffers from the same monochromatic problem as the past three goblins. Give us some purple, people!
    3) The Spider-Man of 2002 is a big chunk of my childhood, and I'm glad they were considerate of the children watching the movie.

14. harryoscop Registered

1. Um.. okay, you don't like the design, fair enough
    2. That can easily be fixed by adding a bit of color to the hood/rags
    3. I could care less about the kids (although I was only three when the first film came out), It's time for Sony to give us a faithful translation of the Goblin's look from the comics.
    [​IMG]

Again, kids didn't stop Nolan from making a creepy looking Two Face, they STILL saw the movie.

15. SoNicRaDiATioN Registered

16. TheGearMan Hero

I don't see how this
    could scare kids more than what's already been done (cough cough TASM2). I'm not saying they shouldn't try to make the design faithful to the comics, I'm just saying I respect the movie makers who take the children of the audience into consideration.

17. harryoscop Registered

OR Scarecrow! and him especially.
    I agree, let them continue to watch that crappy USM show that they seem to love so much. :up: :funny: and yeah, i've always like Ross's design for SM1, I think it's perfect for MCU Goblin. Only changes I would make would be making the cloak dark purple and smoothing his face out just a bit, but otherwise than that, It's perfect imo.

18. SoNicRaDiATioN Registered

Green Goblin is Spidey's Joker equivalent, yet we haven't had an iconic interpretation to date (0 for 3). Two strikes on Harry!!

#218 SoNicRaDiATioN, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  19. SoNicRaDiATioN Registered

Agreed. I want something memorable, not shameful in execution. Dafoe was great in the role but he was more scary as Norman then he was as GG. To think they encased that wonderfully creepy and elastic face in plastic...:loco:

20. Majik1387 Registered

I don't wanna say don't care about the kids, but I don't think people are giving kid audiences enough credit to handle scary looking characters.

21. harryoscop Registered

This:
    [​IMG]
    But with the color and chainmail texture of this:
    [​IMG]

22. Webhead2006 The Web-Swinger

Ya that concept art isn't to bad add a bit more color and it be fine. I said before I could see hood working more easier the. The whole elf hat look. Plus give them a easy way to move to Hobgoblin stealing the look later. When ever we get goblin I just want him to look good. Not flight suit armor thst is a reject from power rangers, not half armor half mutation from amazing. And I do not want to see them just go mutation and say he is some hulk rip off from ultimate line.

23. UltimateMarvel Registered

24. SoNicRaDiATioN Registered

Exactly. Every kid has a different threshold and it's up to the parents for those kiddies under thirteen to know what it is, not the creators.

25. harryoscop Registered

Ugh.. :facepalm: I know right. Dafoe was perfect for the role, and he already had sort of a creepy face (No offense William), all they had to do was ENHANCE his already Goblin-esque features and instead they opted for a design that looks it belong in a Power Rangers episode. :facepalm: