Green Lantern question...

From what i've read, and if i recall correctly, the GL/ring is able to simulate the radiation given off by Kryptonite. This means that it wouldn't need to be in rock form, it could be Hal's giant fist, or one of Kyle's sketchings, as long as the ringbearer wants it to "be" Kryptonite. While it's not technically kryptonite, but its close enough give Supe's the same symptoms, and while being unable to kill superman, it can severely weaken him.

I could be wrong, but think i did read this somewhere.... rather than completely making it up in my head, lol.

explaination of the green lanter's power ring:All Green Lanterns wield a power ring that can generate a variety of effects and energy constructs, sustained purely by the ring wearer's strength of will. The greater the user's willpower, the more effective the ring. The limits of the power ring's abilities are not clearly defined and it has been referred to as "the most powerful weapon in the universe" on more than one occasion. Across the years, the ring has been shown capable of accomplishing anything within the imagination of the ring bearer.

Power rings allow the user to fly and to cover themselves and others with a protective force field, suitable for travelling through outer space. They can also generate beams and solid structures of energy that can be moved simply by thinking about doing so, enabling the user to create cages, transportation platforms, walls, and battering rams. The ring can also be used to search for energy signatures or particular objects. It can serve as a universal translator. The ring can manipulate sub-atomic particles (effectively producing new elements) and split atoms, but those powers are rarely used by Green Lanterns.

The rings of the Green Lantern Corps (GLC) appear to be semi-sentient computers, able to talk to and advise the user as to various courses of action.

Green Lantern Rings typically hold a limited charge. Alan Scott's ring and the Green Lantern Corps rings have time limits in that they must be recharged every 24 hours. Kyle Rayner's ring is limited by amount of energy it holds, but no set time limit; the energy is expended by Rayner's use of the ring, so the duration of each charge is determined by his actions.

The Green Lantern rings are often recharged by a portable power cell that looks like an old fashioned lantern that is colored green. The user typically points the ring into the lantern, and usually gives a Green Lantern oath as the password to recharge the ring.

Alan Scott's ring cannot directly affect objects made of wood, and Green Lantern Corps rings cannot directly affect objects colored yellow. Originally it was believed that the Guardians wanted the rings to have a weakness to prevent a Green Lantern from becoming all powerful, although recent events have revealed that the yellow "impurity" was in fact a yellow-energy being of pure fear, trapped in the Central Power Battery. Lanterns have typically found ways to get around these limitations by affecting objects indirectly. For example, if the Lantern is faced with a yellow gas approaching him, a fan can be created to blow it away since the fan only directly affects the normal air around it, not the gas. Kyle Rayner's ring can affect both wooden and yellow objects, but his mind has proven to be susceptible to forms of external control (such as hallucinogens, psychic attacks, and other phenomena that disrupt his thought processes). Nowadays, a holder of a Corps ring can overcome the yellow weakness by recognizing the fear behind it, and facing that fear (Green Lantern (4th series) #1, July, 2005).

In addition, the effectiveness of a wielder's power ring can be adversely affected by a weakening of resolve and will. For example during the Millennium affair, Hal Jordan fought a Manhunter who psychologically attacked him in the battle to make him doubt that the people he was protecting valued the principles he was fighting for. Jordan's resolve began to weaken and his ring lost effectiveness until he was nearly defeated. However, one of his charges then struck the Manhunter and declared that she did deeply value Jordan's principles as well. With this dramatic affirmation, Jordan's faith in his cause was restored and the ring instantly returned to full power to defeat the Manhunter.

Green Lantern Corps rings typically reserve a small portion of their power for a passive force field that "protects the wielder from mortal harm". In dire emergency, that energy reserve can be tapped, at the expense of said protection, until it too is exhausted. Kyle Rayner's reconfigured ring can "run low", but never completely loses its charge; however, it doesn't shield him from harm if he's caught off-guard.

A typical Green Lantern Corps power ring.The GLC rings do not necessarily have to be worn to be wielded in some functions. For instance, the Green Lantern, Ch'p, once faced a hostage situation where the villain demanded he take off his ring or the hostage would be harmed. Ch'p complied, but not before ordering the ring to fire a restraining beam on the villain seconds after being removed from physical contact (which was done, and the villain was captured). Rayner can will his ring to return to him if it is ever removed or lost. Although never explicitly mentioned, Hal Jordan and other Green Lanterns have also exhibited the ability to summon their rings at substantial distances. Jordan has even used sheer willpower to get ahold of his power ring and gain control of it when other people were wearing it. Precisely how this is accomplished is never made clear, though it might be that the ring's artificial intelligence recognizes the call of its rightful bearer and activates some preset protocol causing it to return to the Green Lantern who owns it. (The flight rings of the Legion of Super-Heroes work in a similar fashion, being attuned specifically to their wearer.)

GLC rings can also be used to emit simulated radiation from Green Kryptonite. This radiation is apparently just as powerful and painful to Superman and other Kryptonians as the genuine rays, but the ring wielder needs to concentrate to maintain this effect. An alien imposter who stole Jordan's ring used this ability to subdue Superman in order to kill him, only to be struck by Jordan to break his concentration to allow Superman to recover and attack.

Standard Green Lantern Corps and Alan Scott's rings can be used by anyone who wears them. Rayner's ring is keyed to his genetic pattern and is useless to anyone else, except for Hal Jordan, as shown in Green Lantern (3rd series) #99. However, this has also been subsequently changed. As of "Green Lantern: Rebirth", only people with exceptional wills can use power rings, a restriction which makes uses of the rings by average individuals improbable. Still, the requirements needed to wield a power ring have changed sporadically across the years, often creating continuity errors. In some incarnations a power ring can only be used by someone who literally has no concept of fear and is completely honest. In the Elseworlds tale "Red Son," for example, Lex Luthor is unable to use the ring found on the dead Abin Sur since he is quite obviously a dishonest figure and must give the ring to that reality's Hal Jordan, a slightly unhinged figure who nevertheless exhibits fearlessness, honesty, and an uncommon will. But in the paperback "The Road Back," Hal and Guy Gardner temporarily lose their rings to two smalltown rubes at a diner when they unwisely decide to brawl without using their powers. The hicks are able to wield the power rings with apparent ease until they are subdued by Jordan and Gardner. Sometimes a Green Lantern must literally be brave and honest to even use the ring, sometimes it's just recommended. It remains to be seen whether or not power rings will be kept out of the hands of average people in the post "Rebirth" Green Lantern series. Allowing power rings to fall into the wrong hands has been a favorite plot device in many previous Green Lantern stories.

Normally an individual will only receive a power ring upon the death of the previous wielder, and then only if they pass the criteria for membership in the Corps. Often, the search for a new wielder is consciously initiated by a current Green Lantern when he realizes death is imminent, but it has also been demonstrated that a ring can conduct such a search on its own if circumstances require it. Also, though it is frequently implied that there are a fixed and finite number of power rings in existence, many stories show power rings creating duplicates of themselves for the purpose of arming auxiliary Green Lanterns. During a particular story arc in which a pre-Parallax Hal Jordan was cast forward in time to meet Kyle Rayner, it was stated that a ring of the Green Lantern Corps had the ability to duplicate itself without limit, thus allowing the entire Corps to be reconstituted from a single ring if necessary

That thing's outdated. Alan's ring can no longer be used by anyone because it's powerless now. The power of the Starheart resides within Alan himself.

That thing's outdated. Alan's ring can no longer be used by anyone because it's powerless now. The power of the Starheart resides within Alan himself.

BOT.

Interesting that this all has been argued before with folk argueing against assumptions on Ring limits.

Meh.

That's actually not the only example of it either. There was some story where Kyle had to set down the entire League (maybe a Classified arc?) and his step against Superman was to synthesize kryptonite.

Ah. I don't see what my post had to do with anything, though. I was stating a fact about Alan Scott. :confused:

Ah. I don't see what my post had to do with anything, though. I was stating a fact about Alan Scott. :confused:

No heat.

The debate was hot and heavy on this thread as far as ring limits too and you were the only one to come back and challenge PP on his posting the stuff on green Lantern.

consider yourself a good step-off point.

V.

It's amazing how many people still don't know Alan is the personification of the Starheart, especially over at Bloc Forums...they still think he has a magic ring from the train wreck...:whatever:

There's probably a disconnect because Alan's not featured with any consistency.

Is there any particular reason for reviving a topic dead and buried for a year and a half? Or are you just as bored as I am? :)

Oh my Buffyness.
Right. And I think that goes along with what I said in my original post, that the ring is completely capable of doing these things. It is completely within the capacity of the ring to be the greatest weapon in the universe.

Anything that it doesn't do, therefore, is a "flaw" on the part of the wielder, not the ring.
Is this or is this not the same exact thing I've been reiterating for the past days? Man, I can't believe I was so darn smart even back then.

Varient, have you ever noticed that sometimes it's impossible to discern what you're saying?

Varient, have you ever noticed that sometimes it's impossible to discern what you're saying?

no.

I have noticed that a few of you are out of sync or don't take my words in context of what came before.

Sometimes it's like spoon feeding someone when you have to explain what was said two pages ago in the same thread.

I seem to remember during the Sacrifice arc leading up to IC...the power of Superman trumps a Lanterns will...

when Supes goes all nuts John encases him in a green prison, Superman remarks in his head...

"I hit the construct with everything I have, the force of my punch versus the force of John's will.....I win..."

He hits the thing so hard he actually knocks John out...

So I would think that if it came down to it...Superman could take out a GL if he so wanted to and was driven enough....

But they also showed that realistically if Superman went rogue Batman aint gonna do nothing about it....if not for Wonder Woman appearing to save him Bats was going down for the count...

as well as the rest of the League later in the same arc...he wasnt trying to hurt them only get them out of his way and he did it with ease....

Yeah, but that's just a construct. If it was actual kryptonite, or GL-synthesized kryptonite, then I'm thinking Supes can't just punch through that.

HA!:up: Believe me, people have been telling him this for ages, but he keeps treating it like it's everyone else's problem and not his.

I seem to remember during the Sacrifice arc leading up to IC...the power of Superman trumps a Lanterns will...

when Supes goes all nuts John encases him in a green prison, Superman remarks in his head...

"I hit the construct with everything I have, the force of my punch versus the force of John's will.....I win..."

He hits the thing so hard he actually knocks John out...

So I would think that if it came down to it...Superman could take out a GL if he so wanted to and was driven enough....

But they also showed that realistically if Superman went rogue Batman aint gonna do nothing about it....if not for Wonder Woman appearing to save him Bats was going down for the count...

as well as the rest of the League later in the same arc...he wasnt trying to hurt them only get them out of his way and he did it with ease....
Eh, it's dependent on the story. If the story calls for a GL to defeat Superman, they'll find a way. If it calls for vice-versa, Superman'll find a way. Chalk it up to the unreliable nature of something like willpower. Maybe John is capable of holding Supes but he just underestimated his strength--supposedly, Superman always holds back around other heroes.

HA!:up: Believe me, people have been telling him this for ages, but he keeps treating it like it's everyone else's problem and not his.
I agree - on this board it is every one who has an issue with it and not me.

Seeing as I don't have this problem where I work,... (software company),
With what I do, (Customer service where I troubleshoot and repair software issues over the phone.)
or who I deal with, (both the computer illiterate and my fellow techs.)

I can see the problem is a lot of assuming on the part of those who have trouble understanding me.

No heat,.. I'm used to folk telling me that a word is not "a real word" here or someone here complaining that one word mispelled,... (and they give the correct spelling), makes it "impossible" for them to understand what I am saying.

In both cases we either waste time bringing up references to prove the word is real or suffering the tantrums of folk who need things couched in whatever their local dialect before they can except things as written.

Since I don't have this problem in real life - then YES the problem is the three or four of you here.

V.

It would just be nice if you stopped abusing punctuation and that's all. No need to lament about it.

I'm still not certain why Varient feels each and every sentence needs its own line with double-spacing between them. But other than that, I have no problem understanding a good 90% of his posts and only minimal problems understanding another 9%. It's just that rare, odd post that makes up the final 1% that leaves me scratching my head, totally clueless.

Well, he's certainly no AnnoyingSilence, but he doesn't seem to think things through sometimes.

lolz, all lives touched by the DTL come away bearing the scars of AS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"