The Avengers Guardians of the Galaxy (2014): Will tie-in with The Avengers

Jordanstine

Civilian
Reaction score
UPDATE: GOTG has also been confirmed by Entertainment Weekly, Hollywood Reporter, and IGN as well!

Didn't know where to post it, since there's no GOTG film board but didn't want this just lost in the always busy News/Speculation thread. Feel free to move/merge if appropriate.

http://latino-review.com/2012/06/28/exclusive-marvels-2014-movie-revealed/

dead4.jpg

Marvel’s plan has been 2 superhero movies in their Unified Film Universe each year. Next year will bring us the new entries into the ‘Thor’ and ‘Iron Man’ and 2014 will bring us ‘Captain America 2′ and…

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY.

guardians-626x400.jpg

The Marvel comics universe is called 616. Long story, just accept it. The Guardians of the Galaxy are a team of superheroes from the future of Universe 691. There, an evil alien race called the Badoom is trying to take over the universe. And then the Badoom create the Korvac, and… don’t worry, we have until 2014 to slowly educate ourselves on Guardians of the Galaxy.

The important thing is, at some point, the Guardians will jet back to the 20th century (yes, 20th. Probably the 21st in the movie universe) to meet with the Avengers.

The script has already been written and was said to be "incredible" encompassing the Avengers and Marvel's space universe.

More...

- It will be announced as Marvel’s second 2014 movie at Comic Con.
- Thanos is in it.
- It will “lead up to” The Avengers 2 in 2015.

So let’s parse some of that.

One: The end credits scene at the end of The Avengers was both a teaser for ‘Avengers 2′ AND ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’

Two: The Guardians being added to the Unified Universe means the theorhetical chronological order of Marvel Unified Movie Universe Phase 2 is: ‘Iron Man 3′ ‘Thor 2′ ‘Captain America 2′ ‘Guardians of the Galaxy.’ Hulk gets the shaft.

Three: If I were to point you in the direction of a comic to read to theorize what Guardians of the Galaxy would be about, I’d suggest you go buy The Thanos Imperative.

THANOS-IMPARATIVE-520x400.jpeg

Four: Nova. Expect Nova. There’s got to be a reason that Nova keeps showing up in stuff like Disney’s Ultimate Spider-Man and Marvel’s AvX. He’s not a Guardian per se, but he’s the most recognizable Marvel space character to the all-important “we’re young and buy toys” demographic.

Last edited:
I'm starting to not trust LR since they also said that Black Panther would be the other 2014 Marvel movie. With them saying Marvel is releasing 3 movies in one year, then I'm calling BS on them for now.

Wasn't LR the site that was 100% sure that the 2014 movie will be Black Panther?

Here's the thing though : It does make more sense to have them tie in with Thanos prior to Avengers 2.

I think Marvel are going to show DC the way with regards to making a space drama like DC tried and failed with Green Lantern.

This is one of those "I'll believe it when I see it" kind of news. Well, the truth will soon be revealed at the Comic Con, anyway.

You can't always **** on LatinoReview cause alot of the time they are right. I'm 99.9999% sure that LatinoReview was the FIRST site online to post that Thanos was going to be in The Avengers and that was before they even started filming the movie.

But yet at the same time I think they also said The Skrulls would be in the movie. There was probably a version of the script with them in it at some point and they heard about it. Who knows?

We'll hopefully know for sure by Comic Con.

You can't always **** on LatinoReview cause alot of the time they are right. I'm 99.9999% sure that LatinoReview was the FIRST site online to post that Thanos was going to be in The Avengers and that was before they even started filming the movie.

But yet at the same time I think they also said The Skrulls would be in the movie. There was probably a version of the script with them in it at some point and they heard about it. Who knows?

We'll hopefully know for sure by Comic Con.
They now just seem to throw anything at the wall and hope something sticks.

*imagines seeing Nova, Groot &... Rocket Raccoon all on the big screen* HNNNNGGGG...

They now just seem to throw anything at the wall and hope something sticks.

Exactly.

To be perfectly honest, I *do* believe the GOTG rumor over their recent Black Panther rumor (and in a perfect world, BOTH movies are in development for a Phase II release), but this is just shot-in-the-dark blind-squirrel-finding-an-acorn shoddy journalism that does NOTHING to repair LR's already questionable street cred. They were doing so good after the Thanos rumor checked out, but right now they just need to shut the hell up and let Marvel do the official announcements at SDCC, *then* go back to speculation.

I just don't see the appeal of this to the masses. This could easily turn into a flop for Marvel Studios and ruin their momentum heading into Avengers 2. Still rather have BP or even Ant-Man over this.

I'm just wondering what they were thinking releasing Cap 2 in April and this(or something else?) in May of the same year. If the May movie really pops out, won't it steamroll over Cap's box office potential? Or vice versa?

I guess they think a month is enough time spread out between the 2. After all didn't Ironman come out a month before Incredible Hulk? I just hate that Cap has that release date.

I'm just wondering what they were thinking releasing Cap 2 in April and this(or something else?) in May of the same year. If the May movie really pops out, won't it steamroll over Cap's box office potential? Or vice versa?

I guess they think a month is enough time spread out between the 2. After all didn't Ironman come out a month before Incredible Hulk? I just hate that Cap has that release date.
I guess they could have moved it into June, which is slightly less crowded. I just think GOTG could/will be swallowed up by TASM 2 and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

This could be really awesome. I guess not all of the movies can be movies for avengers characters

You guys do know that it has been farther confirmed, beyond latino review...right?...Variety, and The Hollywood, and I believe a few others have confirmed this rumor true.

So it looks like Black Panther gets the shaft.

I mean, things can be officially confirmed, before they are "officially confirmed"

Last edited:
Mna I hope Marvel doesnt screw this up. A live action GOTG movie in this MCU is going to be tricky to say the least. i mean how do u incorporate this
127689-36099-groot_large.jpg

Rocket_Racoon.png

into the MCU/ Having a raccoon with a british accent and a gun trying to have a serious conversation with Captain America. I'm trying to picture it and it looks totally f**king ridiculous in my minds eye. Ah well, we'll see

It's not surprising that GotG got pushed to the front of the line. These are the kind of films that Disney lives to make nowadays. At least this time their 200-250 million dollars will be well spent for a change.

I guess they could have moved it into June, which is slightly less crowded. I just think GOTG could/will be swallowed up by TASM 2 and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

If even The Avengers only lasted three weeks at #1, I strongly doubt they'd expect GOTG (or any other Marvel property, for that matter) to have even more staying power than their crown jewel.

Here's probably the way 2014 early summer plays out in the #1 spot:

Apr 4: Cap 2
Apr 11: Cap 2
Apr 18: Cap 2
Apr 25: Robopocalypse
May 2: TASM 2
May 9: TASM 2
May 16: Guardians of the Galaxy, if there *is* a God; Michael Bay's Ninja Turtles, if there isn't
May 23: showdown between GOTG and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
May 30: second weekend for whoever wins GOTG vs. DOTPOTA, but possibly Disney's The Good Dinosaur takes over

You guys do know that it has been farther confirmed, beyond latino review...right?...Variety, and The Hollywood, and I believe a few others have confirmed this rumor true.

I mean, things can be officially confirmed, before they are "officially confirmed"

The way I see it, and I've said it before, is that Dr. Strange and Black Panther will be reserved for a "mystical" era of the MCU....i.e., Phase III. I think Phase II will emphasize Cosmic Marvel, while Phase III (beginning 2016) will have a more mystical, magical bent, and that could include emphasizing some of the tribal magic of Wakanda.

Yeah you're right.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056109

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/guardians-galaxy-movie-marvel-studios-avengers-343228

I wonder why SHH front page hasn't posted it yet? Marvel maybe doesn't want them to post it I'm guessing. They won't put up a story if the studios tell them not to. Although interestingly they put up a story about the Antman film doing test reels. I don't understand why Marvel won't just greenlight it. Someone high up must not have faith in the film to sit on it for so many years.

Hollywood reporter had confirmed LR stating awesome script

Yeah this looks as official as official can get. I didn't know that Marvel had a Ironfist script already written. Their potential slate looks HUGE. No way they end up making all those films listed in the articles in the next 10 years. I can't see Marvel making more than 2 films a year any time soon but if they do the quality will most likely suffer.

T"Challa;23677117 said:
Mna I hope Marvel doesnt screw this up. A live action GOTG movie in this MCU is going to be tricky to say the least. i mean how do u incorporate this
127689-36099-groot_large.jpg

Rocket_Racoon.png

into the MCU/ Having a raccoon with a british accent and a gun trying to have a serious conversation with Captain America. I'm trying to picture it and it looks totally f**king ridiculous in my minds eye. Ah well, we'll see
I agree with you. The idea of Rocket Raccoon sharing the screen with any of the Marvel characters we've seen thus far just sounds like a bad dream to me.

I just don't see the appeal of this to the masses. This could easily turn into a flop for Marvel Studios and ruin their momentum heading into Avengers 2. Still rather have BP or even Ant-Man over this.
Agreed this seems like it going to come across as goofy.

I agree with you. The idea of Rocket Raccoon sharing the screen with any of the Marvel characters we've seen thus far just sounds like a bad dream to me.

Why? They're already talking to CGI characters like Hulk and even Iron Man (in a lot of cases, he's pure CG construct instead of an actual living, breathing RDJ). And RR is a badass, not a cute widdle fuzzywuzzy, even though that aspect will appeal to kids and girls.

But hey, those of you out there rolling your eyes at an ass-kicking raccoon will be pleasantly distracted by mostly-naked hotties like Gamora, Mantis and Moondragon to worry about it. Or if you'd rather see blood & guts and lots of 'splosions and gunplay, then Starlord and Drax will be right up your alley. See? Something for the whole family

To everyone doubting Rocket Raccoon, your argument is invalid:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"