The Avengers Guardians of the Galaxy (2014): Will tie-in with The Avengers

Has the fact that the film will lead into Avengers 2 in any meaningful way actually been confirmed? That seems like the kind of thing they may have mentioned at SDCC given that they were raising hype for all of phase 2, including Ant-Man which still has no release date.

Is it not possible that the connection is being assumed because Thanos is supposedly in the Guardians?

Has the fact that the film will lead into Avengers 2 in any meaningful way actually been confirmed? That seems like the kind of thing they may have mentioned at SDCC given that they were raising hype for all of phase 2, including Ant-Man which still has no release date.

Is it not possible that the connection is being assumed because Thanos is supposedly in the Guardians?

Personally I hope it doesn't lead into Avengers 2. While I think Thanos will appear in an avengers movie, I think him appearing in guardians as well will have nothing to do with the avengers. Two totally different things.

With ant-man happening probably before avengers 2, maybe we will get ultron

Personally I hope it doesn't lead into Avengers 2. While I think Thanos will appear in an avengers movie, I think him appearing in guardians as well will have nothing to do with the avengers. Two totally different things.

That doesn't make much sense. Why would they be two different things?

I think it would be a mistake not to have him in Avengers. Beyond the fact he was teased in "Avengers" and most moviegoers are expecting it, there's the Thanos-assistant line:

"To [attack the humans] is to court death."

If you follow point a to b...

1: He is going to attack the humans (I.E. Earth)

2: Guardians of the Galaxy will most likely have very little to do with earth.

3: Thanos will likely be in the Avengers to attack earth.

Now, this is not airtight, I know. GOTG may deal with earth in a tangential way, particularly since Star Lord is human. Still, I think it's a good indicator, and like I said up top, people will be really disappointed if Thanos isn't in Avengers 2--even though I was really hoping for The Masters of Evil.

This is what I think should happen. Remember how they used Thor to set up Loki and then they had him all ready to be the badaxe villain in The Avengers? Well, do the same thing with Thanos. Set him up with Guardians of the Galaxy and then have hi invade earth in A2. It's so obvious as an additional way to create anticipation for the sequel.

Not "confirmed" confirmed, but Latino Review (who are now apparently in hot water with Marvel for scooping the GOTG announcement a week before SDCC) reported that it leads directly into Avengers 2.

I think it would be a mistake not to have him in Avengers. Beyond the fact he was teased in "Avengers" and most moviegoers are expecting it, there's the Thanos-assistant line:

Now, this is not airtight, I know. GOTG may deal with earth in a tangential way, particularly since Star Lord is human. Still, I think it's a good indicator, and like I said up top, people will be really disappointed if Thanos isn't in Avengers 2--even though I was really hoping for The Masters of Evil.

This is what I think should happen. Remember how they used Thor to set up Loki and then they had him all ready to be the badaxe villain in The Avengers? Well, do the same thing with Thanos. Set him up with Guardians of the Galaxy and then have hi invade earth in A2. It's so obvious as an additional way to create anticipation for the sequel.

I said it soo many times before. Thanos schemes and level of destruction is so vast. Having him be set up JUST to launch an attack on Earth, to me, as a HUGE Thanos fan, would be a slap in the face, and I would be very, very, very disappointed. However, I think that is not the case. Based on what was said at the beginning of the avengers, Thanos' objectives are on a universal scale, and it will most likely be the avengers trying to stop him from whatever his plan will be.

I highly doubt that Thanos will just...attack the Earth, or if he does, it will not be his climax.

he is bigger than that.

Btw, most of us aren't saying don't use him till 3. We are all saying keep his deal getting bigger and bigger, and his presence getting more and more known, as he stays behind the scenes somewhat, leading up to a climax in Avengers 3. As Sam seems to think, it will be a Thanos trilogy.

I think its either going to go

Avengers 2: Thanos
Avengers 3: Thanos
Avengers 4: Ultron

Or

Avengers 2: Ultron with Thanos still in the backround, but becoming a character noticeably, but still minor, and played off, (maybe plays a part of reviving Ultron or something) the audience would know something is being set up, and at this point, his presence is known in the MCU

Avengers 3: That big pay off with the climax movie of Thanos' schemes,

I am leaning more towards something like this, in terms of preference,

but who knows, maybe we will get Thanos in JUST 2

but I expect the Infinity Gauntlet will come into play.
With it being teased, and don't forget, in the post credit scene, why bother to show his hand? lol, why else would they show his hand, besides the fact that he does not have the gauntlet?

Last edited:
I said it soo many times before. Thanos schemes and level of destruction is so vast. Having him be set up JUST to launch an attack on Earth, to me, as a HUGE Thanos fan, would be a slap in the face, and I would be very, very, very disappointed. However, I think that is not the case. Based on what was said at the beginning of the avengers, Thanos' objectives are on a universal scale, and it will most likely be the avengers trying to stop him from whatever his plan will be.

I highly doubt that Thanos will just...attack the Earth, or if he does, it will not be his climax.

he is bigger than that.

In The Avengers, Thanos and his lackey were using Loki as a pawn to get the Tesseract/Cosmic Cube* for them. Since Loki failed miserably in his mission, one can safely assume that securing the Cube is still a priority. The Cube was on Earth when Thanos last had news of it, so he would logically start there in his quest to acquire it.

Although the heroes sent the Cube to Asgard with Thor, Thanos would not know that initially. Once he got to Earth and discovered its whereabouts he would need to get to Asgard, where (not-so-coincidentally) the Infinity Gauntlet also resides. To do that, he might well want to lure Thor to Earth. What better way to get Midgard's self-proclaimed protector to come down from the cosmos than to wreak massive destruction on the planet? Courting Death would be part and parcel of that.

That's just my take on how the Thanos/Avengers confrontation might go, of course. It makes sense to me that the Mad Titan would come to Earth and challenge the heroes who defended it against his army, both seeking power and hoping to cause and literally embrace Death. Thanos would kill billions to honor Death and at the same time hope to be killed himself in the process. That's just how he rolls.

* I prefer "Cosmic Cube" to "Tesseract," because the former is truer to the comics. Also, it's easier to type.

The better question is will all the members of GotG be in Avengers 2? I don't see it happening. Unless Rocket or Groot turn out extremely popular, I can see only Starlord showing up in order to keep the budget down.

If another alien invasion happens in NYC with Thanos in The Avengers 2. Then by the time The Avengers 3 rolls around. NYC should be a ghost town. Who would want to live there ?

& then add that with all of the monster attacks in Spider-Man in NYC. If they eventually share the same Universe that is

NYC seems to be the worst place to live in the MCU either way

Last edited:
In The Avengers, Thanos and his lackey were using Loki as a pawn to get the Tesseract/Cosmic Cube* for them. Since Loki failed miserably in his mission, one can safely assume that securing the Cube is still a priority. The Cube was on Earth when Thanos last had news of it, so he would logically start there in his quest to acquire it.

Although the heroes sent the Cube to Asgard with Thor, Thanos would not know that initially. Once he got to Earth and discovered its whereabouts he would need to get to Asgard, where (not-so-coincidentally) the Infinity Gauntlet also resides. To do that, he might well want to lure Thor to Earth. What better way to get Midgard's self-proclaimed protector to come down from the cosmos than to wreak massive destruction on the planet? Courting Death would be part and parcel of that.

That's just my take on how the Thanos/Avengers confrontation might go, of course. It makes sense to me that the Mad Titan would come to Earth and challenge the heroes who defended it against his army, both seeking power and hoping to cause and literally embrace Death. Thanos would kill billions to honor Death and at the same time hope to be killed himself in the process. That's just how he rolls.

* I prefer "Cosmic Cube" to "Tesseract," because the former is truer to the comics. Also, it's easier to type.

Or Thanos set up Loki for failure?

He wants the gauntlet. He clearly knows the cube is a portal. The cube is now in asgard, the infinity gauntlet is now in asgard.

Could he have used Loki, and set him up for failure, knowing that the cube would end back up in thor's possession and back in asgard??

That makes some sense to me. Now he has a way into asgard. Of course, I see him attacking Earth at some point, but I feel his climax will still be the avengers trying to stop him from wiping out all life

If another alien invasion happens in NYC with Thanos in The Avengers 2. Then by the time The Avengers 3 rolls around. NYC should be a ghost town. Who would want to live there ?

& then add that with all of the monster attacks in Spider-Man in NYC. If they eventually share the same Universe that is

NYC seems to be the worst place to live in the MCU either way

Why on earth would the involvement of Thanos lead to another alien invasion of Earth...? :dry:

Thanos wants to DESTROY life, not RULE over it.
And if/when he wants to destroy Earth, he'll damn sure do it himself, and he'll do it from the comfort of his own throne, many galaxies away.

He can do that, you know. He's ****ing Thanos. He doesn't need an army.

Or Thanos set up Loki for failure?

He wants the gauntlet. He clearly knows the cube is a portal. The cube is now in asgard, the infinity gauntlet is now in asgard.

Could he have used Loki, and set him up for failure, knowing that the cube would end back up in thor's possession and back in asgard??

That makes some sense to me. Now he has a way into asgard. Of course, I see him attacking Earth at some point, but I feel his climax will still be the avengers trying to stop him from wiping out all life

Exactly this.
It's brilliant; and it makes Thanos to be far more cunning and manipulative than Loki could have ever dreamed of being.

g83Uv.jpg

The better question is will all the members of GotG be in Avengers 2? I don't see it happening. Unless Rocket or Groot turn out extremely popular, I can see only Starlord showing up in order to keep the budget down.

When you're making a sequel to a movie that did $1.5 Billion, I'm not sure that keeping the budget down is as big of a priority as delivering the goods.

I'm going out on a limb here, but screw it...

My official prediction is that Marvel will do something that no other major superhero franchise has ever dared to do.

I think that Thanos will kill the Guardians of the Galaxy, then launch an attack on Earth that will be the storyline of Avengers 2.

I'm having a hard time figuring how Marvel will get the nerve to kill a raccoon...maybe he'll survive and be in Avengers 2 or something...but still...I think that in the end of GOTG, Thanos will be standing tall, preparing to attack Earth.

...I keep thinking of Thanos in some ship running over Rocket like road kill...THANKS Heretic lol

I feel like foiling some minor plot of his could be the plot of the GotG movie. Or just in some way leads to him saying, at the end, that it won't stop his plans for Earth.

Of course, appearances by Thanos could also be the new equivalent of Phase 1's Fury cameos. He appears at certain points in a way to wrap up a movie's story and tie it into the MCU, before taking a key role in "Avengers 2".

I cant help but wonder if that picture posted above was just made to go with that bigger set of the avengers when they decided to throw together some concept art or if they've had GotG planned all along and there's even more to that picture coming up somewhere in the future!

I'm going out on a limb here, but screw it...

My official prediction is that Marvel will do something that no other major superhero franchise has ever dared to do.

I think that Thanos will kill the Guardians of the Galaxy, then launch an attack on Earth that will be the storyline of Avengers 2.

I'm having a hard time figuring how Marvel will get the nerve to kill a raccoon...maybe he'll survive and be in Avengers 2 or something...but still...I think that in the end of GOTG, Thanos will be standing tall, preparing to attack Earth.

I doubt it. There's so much they could do with a Guardians of the Galaxy franchise. Why on Earth would they slaughter all those characters in a movie?

Now, if Marvel REALLY wanted to do something original, they'd make a movie based on Thanos Quest and release it right before Avengers 3. Can you imagine a one-off movie in which a Death worshipping nihilist is the films protagonist? It'd be amazing to go from rooting for Thanos in his own movie to seeing him as the villain in Avengers 3.

Sadly, something like that would never happen, but man would it be amazing.

I doubt it. There's so much they could do with a Guardians of the Galaxy franchise. Why on Earth would they slaughter all those characters in a movie?

Now, if Marvel REALLY wanted to do something original, they'd make a movie based on Thanos Quest and release it right before Avengers 3. Can you imagine a one-off movie in which a Death worshipping nihilist is the films protagonist? It'd be amazing to go from rooting for Thanos in his own movie to seeing him as the villain in Avengers 3.

Sadly, something like that would never happen, but man would it be amazing.

I'm probably wrong as well. Comic nerds may appreciate GOTG, but I just dont see it as a franchise. It is BIZARRE that of all the Marvel properties, THAT is what they are doing a movie of. Plus...IF they fight Thanos and win, then I really dont see why Thanos would be any real threat in Avengers 2 (unless maybe they do what they did last time, and match up a defeated villain with a weapon from one of the other films...). I think that Thanos could be viewed as a real threat if they showed him decisively win in a movie first.

I'm probably wrong as well. Comic nerds may appreciate GOTG, but I just dont see it as a franchise. It is BIZARRE that of all the Marvel properties, THAT is what they are doing a movie of. Plus...IF they fight Thanos and win, then I really dont see why Thanos would be any real threat in Avengers 2 (unless maybe they do what they did last time, and match up a defeated villain with a weapon from one of the other films...). I think that Thanos could be viewed as a real threat if they showed him decisively win in a movie first.

Killing off the GOTG is not the only way to show a decisive victory for Thanos.

Plus, it could turn out to be a case of misdirection, like Avengers was. Thanos is always thinking one step ahead, and Avengers showed that: he USED Loki, knowing full well that Loki would lose. But with Thor and Loki taking the Tesseract back to Asgard, Thanos now has a DIRECT LINE into Odin's Treasury Room, where a certain shiny Gauntlet sits.

I could definitely see Thanos deliberately manipulating events in GOTG, too, making it LOOK like he "loses" an important battle to the Guardians, only to have that be part of the plan all along, to move him and his chess pieces one step closer to his real goal (whatever that is) in Avengers 2.

I'm still hoping Thanos won't be a villain at all, but an ally. That'd be an interesting path to take. Have him work with the Guardians of the Galaxy against some other opponent, like the Universal Church of Truth, but only because it suits his own ends (like snagging an Infinity Gem along the way). Then we could have a Gamora who trusts Thanos implicitly throughout and sticks up for him only to feel betrayed when he reveals his true colors at the end.

Killing off the GOTG is not the only way to show a decisive victory for Thanos.

Plus, it could turn out to be a case of misdirection, like Avengers was. Thanos is always thinking one step ahead, and Avengers showed that: he USED Loki, knowing full well that Loki would lose. But with Thor and Loki taking the Tesseract back to Asgard, Thanos now has a DIRECT LINE into Odin's Treasury Room, where a certain shiny Gauntlet sits.

I could definitely see Thanos deliberately manipulating events in GOTG, too, making it LOOK like he "loses" an important battle to the Guardians, only to have that be part of the plan all along, to move him and his chess pieces one step closer to his real goal (whatever that is) in Avengers 2.

This post gave me goosebumps!

I'm still hoping Thanos won't be a villain at all, but an ally. That'd be an interesting path to take. Have him work with the Guardians of the Galaxy against some other opponent, like the Universal Church of Truth, but only because it suits his own ends (like snagging an Infinity Gem along the way). Then we could have a Gamora who trusts Thanos implicitly throughout and sticks up for him only to feel betrayed when he reveals his true colors at the end.

I could see that working, too. Maybe even having Drax and Gamora having to fight each other (assassin vs. bodyguard), only to ally at the end when Gamora finds out Thanos betrayed her.

I think Thanos for A2 is almost a lock. I think some people on the board are trying to rationalize their way around it because they want Ultron.

I heard there may be some legal challenges for the rights of Thanos. Would it affect Marvel's plan for GOTG and Phase II?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"