Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Peter Quill having 12% of a plan is a reference to Pepper Potts having 12% of a moment in The Avengers.

James Gunn acknowledging one of his inspirations.

I absolutely loved the movie. The chemistry and friendship among the five heroes really sells the story and makes the film work. Also, the intergalactic adventure is exciting and briskly paced, and the galactic scenery and set designs are beautiful to look at. It's a terrific adventure, and it does a great job of illustrating the cosmic side of the Marvel universe and bringing it to life on the big screen.

Going to see this with my roommate who is dying to see it again and some new friends who haven't seen it yet. I have a dope movie theater at the mall I just got hired at so that's a plus

Guardians of the Galaxy is one of the easiest 10/10 I've ever given. One of my, if not my absolute, favourite films of all time. I can't stop thinking about it! It hit all the right emotions. I've never felt so much heart and love put into a movie.

Going to see this with my roommate who is dying to see it again and some new friends who haven't seen it yet. I have a dope movie theater at the mall I just got hired at so that's a plus

I know how your friend feels. I haven't been able to stop buzzing about it since I saw it on Thursday. I'm desperate to see the film again, and it's making me twitchy that I won't be able to do so until next week at some point.

My point was, Saldana was more or less okay. Its kind of hard to passionate or charismatic when most of your lines are explaining what a building is as you walk into it which happened repeatedly and seemed out of character.
This is so true. Gamora was basically given the role of "good cop", while being stuck with exposition. She was less a character then the other four. I don't think Saldana was great, but the majority of the problem with the character belongs to the script imo.

I don't think there was anything wrong with Gamora. I'd probably choose her as the least great of the five main characters, but I still think she had some standout lines and moments. Just not as many as the others.

She also suffered heavily from Women in Distress issues.

Starlord saved her twice in the movie, she's suppose to be the world's most dangerous woman, not princess peach.

I don't think there was anything wrong with Gamora. I'd probably choose her as the least great of the five main characters, but I still think she had some standout lines and moments. Just not as many as the others.
She does have some good lines and moments. But she is so far left in the dust in terms of character, there is a clear reason why she is the one no one is falling in love with. If they kept her the badass she is in the comic, it might have been more favorable. I am still not even sure why Gamora was "afraid" in prison. That should have been a Rorschach moment for those idiots.

She also suffered heavily from Women in Distress issues.

Starlord saved her twice in the movie, she's suppose to be the world's most dangerous woman, not princess peach.
She is actually the "Most Dangerous Woman in the Universe". :cwink:

I loved Gamora as much as the rest of the cast. She was really likeable in a non-comedic way. She felt like a genuinely good hearted person beneath a hard shell, who grew to actually show that side more and more.

The balance of these characters is just so perfect! :up:

I loved Gamora as much as the rest of the cast. She was really likeable in a non-comedic way. She felt like a genuinely good hearted person beneath a hard shell, who grew to actually show that side more and more.

The balance of these characters is just so perfect! :up:
What hard shell though? Rocket is the one with the hard shell. The one who begrudgingly show his virtue more and more, but never gives up his attitude. Gamora thinks herself Lady Lancelot, as she yells at Star-Lord and his lack of honor. As if she hasn't been working for a genocidal manic. :funny:

She does have some good lines and moments. But she is so far left in the dust in terms of character, there is a clear reason why she is the one no one is falling in love with. If they kept her the badass she is in the comic, it might have been more favorable. I am still not even sure why Gamora was "afraid" in prison. That should have been a Rorschach moment for those idiots.

That would risk making her another "Oh look, she strong and she's a WOMAN! :wow:" cliché. She was clearly very dangerous, no need to over do it.

That would risk making her another "Oh look, she strong and she's a WOMAN! :wow:" cliché. She was clearly very dangerous, no need to over do it.
But we can over do everyone else? I am so confused by this statement. If Drax can beat everyone's backside not named Ronan, surely Gamora can handle a few prisoners. They should have been afraid to stare let alone attempt to [BLACKOUT]murder her[/BLACKOUT].

What hard shell though? Rocket is the one with the hard shell. The one who begrudgingly show his virtue more and more, but never gives up his attitude. Gamora thinks herself Lady Lancelot, as she yells at Star-Lord and his lack of honor. As if she hasn't been working for a genocidal manic. :funny:

You're right about Rocket but I think that explanation applies to Gamora to some extent as well.

You're right about Rocket but I think that explanation applies to Gamora to some extent as well.
But this is my point. Gamora the character is more of an afterthought, especially compared to the other 4. All we have heard before the film's release and now, is how amazing Rocket, Groot, Star-Lord and Drax are. Not so much with Gamora.

That being said, I really, really like this movie. But this definitely true imo.

But this is my point. Gamora the character is more of an afterthought, especially compared to the other 4. All we have heard before the film's release and now, is how amazing Rocket, Groot, Star-Lord and Drax are. Not so much with Gamora.

That being said, I really, really like this movie. But this definitely true imo.

I think that's what makes a directors job tough. He or she has to decide what makes the cut in the time allotted. Gamora is a complicated character and they could have easily spent an extra 20 or so minutes explaining or showing her realizing that she couldn't allow an entire planet to burn. But then what about Drax or Rocket... or for that matter Groot. The mystery works for Groot though. An extra hour and all the characters would be more fleshed out. However I think Gunn needed a movie that grabbed the audiences attention and thankfully he now has a sequel he can use to flesh out his characters.

I think that's what makes a directors job tough. He or she has to decide what makes the cut in the time allotted. Gamora is a complicated character and they could have easily spent an extra 20 or so minutes explaining or showing her realizing that she couldn't allow an entire planet to burn. But then what about Drax or Rocket... or for that matter Groot. The mystery works for Groot though. An extra hour and all the characters would be more fleshed out. However I think Gunn needed a movie that grabbed the audiences attention and thankfully he now has a sequel he can use to flesh out his characters.
I don't think Gamora needed more screen time. I think she just needed more of her comic persona.

I don't think Gamora needed more screen time. I think she just needed more of her comic persona.

I thought in every movie you needed one character to play it straight so that it doesnt turn into the three stooges.

I thought she had a few cool scenes. I liked when they first got to prison and she was in her cell whilst everyone was banging on it and baying for blood.

No dialogue at all, but Saldana sells how she is feeling at that moment.

The thing with Gamora is, she is like, the only "straight man" in the entire film. She had the least showy character so she was gonna get overshadowed. But i felt she was characterized well and the hint of romance with Quill was well done.

"I am not some waif to be seduced by your pelvic sorcery!"

I thought in every movie you needed one character to play it straight so that it doesnt turn into the three stooges.
That is the thing, none of them were bad or evil. None of them wanted to do the wrong thing. They were all at most, "playfully" bad. Which is why I don't think we needed anyone to "play it straight". Especially considering Gamora's plan was to sell the Orb to get away from Thanos.

I don't think GoTG is a contender for best CBM ever, but it may have accomplished more than any previous comic adaptations.

1) It put the "some characters don't translate to film" argument to rest forever. If whacky-looking characters like Rocket and Groot can work, any character can do the same with the right vision.

2) It proved that a comic book movie's lead character doesn't have to be the avatar of nobility. Let's face it, Star-Lord was an unlikable, womanizing thief for most of the film, but he was still given a seed of sympathy that blossomed into something heroic at the end of the movie. That's outstanding development.

3) Lesser-known characters in a cosmic setting can work. For those of you who thought that only the household names saving their love interests, cities, or Earth is the only acceptable formula, it's time to concede you were wrong.

Though I maybe enjoyed her least of the Guardians, I still enjoyed Gamora. I liked that vulnerability mixed in with the badass-ness, Zoe sells that combination to a T (just like she did in Avatar). She definitely had enough of great moments (pelvic sorcery, he spot-on reactions to the other members, some nice ass kicking etc) and I never mind the use of her for the exposition, it made sense most of the time. Infact I think exposition in general gets a too bad rep, here for example I really enjoyed Gamora talking about the origins of Knowhere over neat images of the place.

Back near the start of this year, I talked about superhero movie law of averages and how one of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, X-Men: Days of Future Past and Guardians of the Galaxy was likely to be a turkey. I compared it to 2011, with Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, Green Lantern, X-Men: First Class. After seeing all four, it seems to me the clear weak link was Amazing Spider-Man 2, though even that wasn't terrible, just a bit underwhelming, and in comparison with 2011, the best films of 2014 were much better. All things considered, it's been a great year for superhero cinema.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"