Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I always go to movies alone, especially comic book movies. I don't need my friends asking me a million dumb questions during the film. "So wait what's his power?" "So wait, is he like an original avenger or?". Leave me alone while I nerdgasm please.

I actually prefer going to movies alone now.
See it when I want, sit where I want, no one talking in my ear. Early showing when not that many people are there? Almost perfection. Although the screenings for Transformers 4 and this were pretty packed. But when I saw Edge of Tomorrow it was largely empty and it was golden
Yeah, I like to go early in the morning, but I always go with my brother. We love to talk about the films after. :yay:

yeah when i saw
the celestial i said holy S**t. no one i was with even knew why. they just looked at me. IT WAS A FREAKING CELESTIAL.

Yeah I always go to movies alone, especially comic book movies. I don't need my friends asking me a million dumb questions during the film. "So wait what's his power?" "So wait, is he like an original avenger or?". Leave me alone while I nerdgasm please.
My daughter is fairly well read when it comes to comics, she doesn't ask a lot of questions. It did find it funny that since she is so young she didn't get many of the older cultural jokes. She has no clue who Kevin Bacon is. :p

After seeing TDW I had a question that I assumed would be answered in GOTG but wasn't.

Why would Asgard hand over the Aether to the Collector? He doesn't seem like a good guy.

The reason was rather simple and obvious. The Tesseract is in Asgard's weapons vault and they didn't want to keep the Aether there with it. "It would be unwise to keep two Infinity Stones together." Makes perfect sense considering the power they contain when combined.

One thing I loved, is we now know that the Tesseract is not an Infinity Stone. It is what is inside the Tesseract that we are looking for. Which makes me think Loki's specter might actually hold one as well.

I'm not sure even that could realistically keep you alive. Outer space is the coldest there is. Your lungs would freeze solid with your first breath, you'd have instantaneous frostbite on any exposed skin. I just don't see how it's possible in real life. :(

You wouldn't instantly die in outer space.

Yes the temperature is cold (though it might not be cold near that station), but the pressure/density of the air around you is zero, it's vacuum. You're not immersed in a cold bath, you're immersed in a vacuum, so you'd just be losing energy.

Being in a vacuum that's 200 degrees below freezing is not the same as being bathed in a dense fluid that's 200 degrees below freezing.

One thing I loved, is we now know that the Tesseract is not an Infinity Stone. It is what is inside the Tesseract that we are looking for. Which makes me think Loki's specter might actually hold one as well.

True. I've been saying for a long time now that the artifacts are just holding the stones and their power in them. And that the Gauntlet in Odin's vault while it has the colors of the gems/stones on it isn't operational until the stones themselves have their power extracted into the gauntlet.

Yes the temperature is cold (though it might not be cold near that station), but the pressure/density of the air around you is zero, it's vacuum. You're not immersed in a cold bath, you're immersed in a vacuum, so you'd just be losing energy.

Being in a vacuum that's 200 degrees below freezing is not the same as being bathed in a dense fluid that's 200 degrees below freezing.
I honestly did not know this. So you wouldn't die instantly? Good to know. Also makes me appreciate those scenes a bit more. Also I think Rocket said the cybernetics were helping.

Hi,
I don't know if I can post this here, but I'm new to comics and wanted help. I want to start to read comic and wanted to take the comixology discount in the Guardiand of Galaxy series to get the comics, but searching the site I fund lots comics and couldn't get: where should I start reading to understand anything? Can someone give me some guidance?

I hope Loki's there (since it's more likely that he will be there than an Avenger) when they open it. I want to see his reaction. "I didn't know it does that."

Hawked is gushing about this movie in their review. They usually bash the MCU films. They said TWS was a pass haha. That really says something

True. I've been saying for a long time now that the artifacts are just holding the stones and their power in them. And that the Gauntlet in Odin's vault while it has the colors of the gems/stones on it isn't operational until the stones themselves have their power extracted into the gauntlet.
It is what I was hoping for, but to now have it confirmed? Great news imo. :yay:

I honestly did not know this. So you wouldn't die instantly? Good to know. Also makes me appreciate those scenes a bit more. Also I think Rocket said the cybernetics were helping.

My understanding is that you would die of asphyxiation if you were in ordinary deep space, I'm not sure how long it would take for an average human.

You're not supposed to hold your breath, because it will certainly pop out due to the vacuum pressure, kind of like opening an air lock.

In 2001: A Space Odyssey, one of the characters exposes himself to vacuum for 20 seconds and survives, that movie is impeccably researched lol.

With Quill, I think whatever he inherited from his dad is helped him survive longer than a normal human would.

My understanding is that you would die of asphyxiation if you were in ordinary deep space, I'm not sure how long it would take for an average human.

You're not supposed to hold your breath, because it will certainly pop out due to the vacuum pressure, kind of like opening an air lock.

In 2001: A Space Odyssey, one of the characters exposes himself to vacuum for 20 seconds and survives, that movie is impeccably researched lol.
I totally forgot about that scene, and I have seen 2001 more then a few times. :O

With Quill, I think whatever he inherited from his dad is helped him survive longer than a normal human would.
Quill wasn't lasting long. He looked way worse, way quicker then [BLACKOUT]Gamora[/BLACKOUT].

About the survival in space:

Although the majority of knowledge on the effects of vacuum exposure comes from animal studies, there have also been several informative—and scary—depressurization accidents involving people. For example, in 1965 a technician inside a vacuum chamber at Johnson Space Center in Houston accidentally depressurized his space suit by disrupting a hose. After 12 to 15 seconds he lost consciousness. He regained it at 27 seconds, after his suit was repressurized to about half that of sea level. The man reported that his last memory before blacking out was of the moisture on his tongue beginning to boil as well as a loss of taste sensation that lingered for four days following the accident, but he was otherwise unharmed.

From here where there is a lot more:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/survival-in-space-unprotected-possible/

If you guys want to be pedantic nitpicks about the physics in the movie:

- There's no such thing as an infinity stone;
- There are no giant heads in the middle of space whose heads you can mine for minerals;
- There are no asteroid belts anywhere in the universe like those shown in the movie, and if there were nobody would put a station there;
- People would have a hard time travelling on different habitable planets because not all planets have the same surface gravity. It can vary. If you were to another habitable planet your weight could shift from 80 lbs on one world to 400 lbs on another world and you certainly would no longer be an effective assassin ;

I don't think any of the above actually matters :-)

There is no Temperature in space at all. There is nothign in a vacume to carry the temperature. The Temperature comes from external means. When something freezes in space it’s because it isn't receiving any heat from a radiation source or the compressive force of Gravity.

I asked a simple question and wondered if people had my same thought. Now people are going well if youre gonna nitpick that then why are their aliens, why this, why that.

People are seeming to worked up by a simple question. No one is saying it ruined the movie for them or even took points off because of it.

Come on
really_house_of_cards_zps169cdbf4.gif

There is no Temperature in space at all. There is nothign in a vacume to carry the temperature. The Temperature comes from external means. When something freezes in space it’s because it isn't receiving any heat from a radiation source or the compressive force of Gravity.

Thank you for repeating the content of my post. Everything you wrote was in the post you quoted immediately after the part you bolded.

FYI there's a temperature, just from (very) low density gas.

Oooooooo child things are gonna get easierrrrrr

One thing I noticed: they offhand referred to Rhoman as a "Decius" or somewhat along those lines. I suspect that Nova Centurions are either a lost power ( that will be rediscovered in the future ), or a new creation inspired by this near-catastrophe.

I asked a simple question and wondered if people had my same thought. Now people are going well if youre gonna nitpick that then why are their aliens, why this, why that.

People are seeming to worked up by a simple question. No one is saying it ruined the movie for them or even took points off because of it.

Come on
really_house_of_cards_zps169cdbf4.gif

:up: Francis Underwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"