Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' started by Thread Manager, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misjuevos WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

gunn took a shot at warner bros. i wonder if he meant reynolds as the wrong star

2. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

"....protect the galaxy in the future of a different dimension."

Hhhmm, has me intrigued, so time travel or dimension hopping is definately going to be a factor in the movie, interesting.

3. Mr. Dent Registered

Oh, I forgot, if we're talking about the 1969 Guardians as well, there's Korvac.

Speaking of which, I wonder if they'll do a Korvac saga type story where the Guardians follow him to 20th century Earth and team up with the Avengers to defeat him, just substitute Thanos for Korvac.

4. misjuevos WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

patton oswalt explaining how star wars and all of marvel could come together.

[YT]5BBhNkywMJY[/YT]

5. cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

Yeah, I'd say the likelihood of Nova Corps and The Universal Church of Truth showing up just increased a whole lot after that casting call.

6. Joeyjojo72 Registered

"the future of a different dimension" actually makes some sense.

7. VulcanVader Registered

If we are looking for the guardians true foes, these are The Universal Church of Truth.
    They should be their main enemies, but if they are planning to introduce Thanos and all that stuff, at least the can put a little bit of The Universal Church of Truth as well. Even if it's just a cameo to set the bases for a sequel.

8. Mr. Dent Registered

The UCT should be up to something in the movie, definitely.

9. misjuevos WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

i want to see some kree.

10. Mr. Dent Registered

Doubt we'll see Kree in this movie. At the very least I doubt they'll be a major part or even name dropped. Maybe we'll see blue aliens that we can imagine are Kree, but that's it.

11. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

One, he's talked about Thanos' *involvement* in Phase 2, which is not the same thing as "He is the main villain, everyone gets into a brawl with him."

Two, the evidence in favor of Masters of Evil is "more intimate, personal adventure" as a descriptor for A2, plus Grillo outright saying he's cast for A2, which makes a lot more sense for MoE than Thanos.

Will Thanos have a role in Guardians? Absolutely, though I am skeptical if he's the main villain ( if he's the main villain and wins, GotG loses the possibility for continuation, and if he loses, Thanos' own image is hurt ). Will he have a role in Avengers 2? Sure, though I suspect it will be an even smaller role than in Guardians. Maybe the Masters of Evil will be secretly nudged along by Thanos.

12. Mr. Dent Registered

Masters of Evil does not make it a more intimate personal adventure. If anything it's the exact opposite.

Blalex is right, there is absolutely nothing supporting the MoE for A2 right now. Crossbones is not even known for being a MoE, so him being in A2 means ****.

Furthermore we know for a fact that GotG leads directly into A2, so whatever happens there has major repercussions in A2. It's highly unlikely that MoE play any role in that.

13. Hyde Ooga-Chaka

Just some quick little ideas I had today for the movie, and how it can lead into A2:

-Film opens with a prologue set in the 31st Century. The future Guardians (Vance Astro, Yondu etc) are on Knowhere and witnessing the destruction of the universe at the hands of Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet.
    -Adam Warlock is also on the ship, as a member of the future Guardians. The team travel back in time to the year 2045 on a mission to stop Thanos from ever visiting this time, and destroy him.
    -When the ship arrives in our century, the only survivors are Vance, Yondu and Warlock. They set off in search of the original Guardians (Star-Lord, Drax, Gamora, Groot and RR) and Thanos.
    -In 2045, the galaxy is fighting over the possession of the Time Infinity Gem. The Universal Church of Truth, lead by the Magus, intend to use it to gain a stronghold over the Universe. Thanos wants it because, well... You know why he wants it.
    -The Nova Corps currently possess the Gem. RR, Groot and Drax are also prisoners of them, cellmates together. Drax forms a plan for them to break out and steal it, as he wants to use it to stop Thanos from existing.
    -The trio break out, steal the Gem and flee in a stolen Nova Corps ship. Thanos sends Gamora, his personal assassin (and adopted daughter/niece, not sure which yet) to capture them and the Gem.
    -They are also pursued by the Church and by Nova (Richard Rider). Peter Quill, an astronaut who fell through a wormhole near Earth, crash lands near the Guardians and is taken in by them. His origin would largely be the same as the new one from GOTG 0.1 by Bendis.

That's all I've got so far really. They would team up with the surviving members of the future Guardians, to stop the Time Gem from falling into Thanos' possession and the part of Warlock's character where Magus is his future self would be flipped around - so Adam Warlock is actually the future version of the Magus.

The IG in Odin's Vault in Thor would still be the real IG, but because the film is set 30 years in the future it allows for the opportunity of it being disbanded and the Gems being spread across the universe at some point during those 30 years.

Thoughts?

14. ThePowerCosmic Hyped Up

I think the Masters do make it more intimate for them. Each of them should have a personal vendetta against an Avenger, and vice versa.

And the Masters could play a role. They could have been set up by Thanos to serve as a diversion for the Avengers while he goes through with his plan. Then towards the end, have the Guardians and Thanos come into the mix after Thanos has the Infinity Gauntlet.

15. cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

I don't think the MoE translate to film well at all. The concept, as you'd have to explain it to general audiences, is this: "Remember all those villains you saw in the previous Marvel movies? You know, Mandarin vs. Iron Man; Crossbones vs. Captain America; Kurse vs. Thor; Abomination vs. Hulk? Well, they're back! And they team up, even though they have no real connections or common ground whatsoever. And they're looking for revenge against their old foes. So what do we get....? Cap vs. Crossbones....Round Two! And Abomination vs. Hulk....again! And Mandarin vs. Iron Man....again! And Kurse vs. Thor....again! And for the climax, it's....wait for it....Loki vs. the Avengers....yet again! Whaddya think....? :O "

general audiences: :sleepy:"....I'm sorry, what....?"

16. Hyde Ooga-Chaka

That doesn't mean he's a member of the MoE. It could just be a quick cameo at the beginning with Cap taking him out after a job to set up the film.

17. Rock Sexton Registered

All I know is saving Thanos for Phase 3 and Avengers 3 would be absolutely absurd from a time perspective. I mean we're talking having to wait 5 years.

I'm just being logical here. They're not going to wait that long to bring him into the fold in all of his glory. I for one cannot wait. I'd put my excitement and anticipation to see him in action on the same level I had for the Avengers.

18. JB-the-Hunter Booty hunter

The general audience would love to see that. That's the kind of thing people have been waiting to see. A team up of villains.

19. BigThor God of Thunder

I agree, it could be very well recieved if done correctly.

20. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Agree too. It would be like the evil equivalent of the Avengers - having different villains who've appeared in the lead up movies all coming together. And it won't just seem like a new team that's just assembled, but the seeds will have been planted there for the past few years.

And why should it be Cap vs Crossbones, Iron Man vs Mandarin etc? I've said before that what was fun about both the comics and the Avengers movie was how one hero's villain becomes another hero's villain. So in The Avengers, we saw Cap fighting Loki, and then later on Iron Man and Hulk fighting him.

With the Masters of Evil, we could get Cap vs Abomination (to see who is the better super soldier), Thor vs the Mandarin, Iron Man vs Crossbones and Hulk vs Kurse just as an example, although there can be any other combination. Just thinking in terms of round 2 for each hero is very limited thinking.

21. Scarecrow_King Perpetually Annoyed

I'm super curious about how Blonsky feels about Cap being found. And how Cap feels about Blonskey being what he is because they were trying to duplicate Cap.

I would love to see them fight.

22. Mr. Dent Registered

Them having individual vendettas against the Avengers doesn't make it more personal and intimate, it just makes the cast unnecessarily big. An Avengers vs Thanos story is much more intimate and personal, because it's the Avengers vs. one villain. If it's the Avengers vs a bunch of their individual villains, then that would serve more to split the story up and make it less intimate to the team itself and more about the characters individually...which is what their films are for.

I also don't like the idea of Thanos being the one to bring the MoE together, that's just not his role. He will use alien armies and henchman, but he will not go and find the Avengers' individual enemies, team them up, and use them as distractions. I can see him finding one or two, like Coldblood or Crossbones, and using them that way, but not literally uniting a team against the Avengers. Not to mention making the MoE a mere puppet show for Thanos really defeats its purpose, since Thanos is not an enemy of any particular Avenger and the point of the Masters is that they're a compilation of individual Avenger enemies, brought together by a specific Avengers enemy. If anyone puts together the Masters it should be Loki.

And shoehorning the Guardians and Infinity Gauntlet into the end of the film after having the MoE sounds horrible. They need to take this one step at a time. MoE and Thanos should be done separately, plain and simple.

I'm not saying the MoE shouldn't ever be done, but they should not be done in conjunction with Thanos as the main villain.

23. McSir Registered

They aren't going to use the Masters of Evil, unless they can figure out a way to involve Thanos as part of the team in a BIG way. There's one reason this movie is being made at all, and it's this guy:

[​IMG]

So they can properly introduce him and after his appearance in The Avengers and make it well established that he's a threat before Avengers 2. They're not going to him a first appearance like that and wait until Avengers 3 for full payoff.

24. ThePowerCosmic Hyped Up

It does make the movie more personal and intimate. You're talking about pitting the arch enemies of The Avengers on one team against them. It's bound to be more personal for them that way, there's really nothing else it can be at that point when you get people who have literal personal vendettas against the heroes.

I don't think Thanos assembling the Masters would be out of his role. He's been watching the Avengers, and seeing as how they've repelled his army they've proven themselves a powerful enemy. Thanos wouldn't want the Avengers and the Guardians on his tail, so it makes sense that he'd secretly round up the Avengers' enemies to provide them with a threat while he achieved his goal. The Masters wouldn't even have to know Thanos was the one that rounded them up.

He's the one who would likely have access to gathering Red Skull, potentially Malekith and/or Kurse, Abomination, Crossbones, etc. I also don't think it would be shoehorning the Guadians and Thanos, since Thanos also ties with the Masters and the arrival of the Guardians makes sense when things get horrible.

25. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

I really can't see how someone wouldn't want to see a supervillain team up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.