Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
What incentive does Marvel have in releasing the name of THANOS at this point? If it's a not a big name, people lose interest or hope. If it's a big name that "fanboys" don't like, they ***** and moan and drive projections down. Now, conversely, if its a big name that drives interest, they win but, by my math, that's two negatives to one positive. Not great odds. Add that to the fact that they've taken a major risk with this movie. It's not as recognizable as the other characters they've had movies for nor is the director.

They'll release the name in time, why do we even need to know it now?

Hint:

Ben Kingsley is credited as "The Mandarin" in IM3.
Marion Cotillard is credited as "Miranda Tate" in TDKR.
And Joseph Gordon-Levitt is credited as "John Blake" in TDKR, for that matter.

It's not uncommon for actors to actually be portraying someone other than what's advertised to the general public.

except...he was portrayed AND credited as the collector. the person in the mid credits scene was undoubtedly the collector

Last edited:
except...he was portrayed AND credited as the collector. the person in the mid credits scene was undoubtedly the collector

Yep. Agreed 100%. I've never argued against that at all.
What I *am* arguing is that The Collector might be a front for someone else (i.e., Thanos). And if that turns out to be the case, they won't outright list "The Collector/Thanos" as a credit for BDT, just "The Collector."

Saw Thor 2.

I followed the GOTG 2008 and really want the movie to be good. The Collector looked [BLACKOUT]ridiculous[/BLACKOUT] to me.

Saw Thor 2.

I followed the GOTG 2008 and really want the movie to be good. The Collector looked [BLACKOUT]ridiculous[/BLACKOUT] to me.

About that scene in Thor: The Dark World...

It's hard to get a bead on The Collector. It's a very mannered performance, as Benicio del Toro has been known to do in films. But when del Toro strikes gold with those types of roles, you're watching going "WTF?" at first, but then it settles into its own weird rhythm and you go, "Aaaaaah, I get it," and start to love it. So maybe a little single-scene snippet wasn't the best showcase for it.

BDT is going to be fabulous. I absolutely love what he's doing with the character.

the mid credit scene has leaked online

sorry guys i don't want to show a link but if you search you will find it quickly.

I got to say after reading a description of the footage I'm gonna let my BDT is Thanos theory go.

the mid credit scene has leaked online

That wasn't so bad and in fact was pretty cool. Some of the talk was acting like BdT was straight out of some Rocky Horror campfest or something. I was getting a little concerned.

He looked like a Fifth Element character to me. Not that I have a problem with that. I like Fifth Element.

But will it play with mainstream audiences? Dunno.

Yeah, he reminded me of Ruby Rhod. I liked the clip. Very cool seeing [BLACKOUT]the Asgardians basically colliding with the Guardians' side of the MCU.[/BLACKOUT] I love this connected universe so damn much.

Anyways, once we get to see more of the Collector, I'm sure it'll be fine. He's clearly meant to be a peculiar character. The clip told us that much. And we also learned that[BLACKOUT] the Tesseract is an Infinity Stone[/BLACKOUT]. Interesting...

The after credits scene was bad, but at the same time cool.

I can see why Alan Taylor hated it.

It's just so different from what we've seen before, and I think that hurt it when you had the GOTG characters in the same scene as the Thor characters, who were tonally the same.

Last edited:
Just saw the clip.
I'm 110% right now, and you gotta be absolutely blind not to see what's really going on there.

It's the goddam INFINITY GAUNTLET ITSELF right there in the scene.

It's the big-ass....no, HUGE-ass, metallic thing in the case, prominently displayed for the whole scene. The Gauntlet, with empty sockets where each of the Gems should be. In fact, it's the very same prop that Marvel trotted out to SDCC a couple of years ago, except (again) minus the Gems.

Thanos/Collector looks up, right at the damn thing, when he says "One down, five to go."

Thanos has already built the Gauntlet. He just needs to set the Gems in place.

And strange how nobody even bothered to mention that Ophelia Lovibond is *also* in that scene, prominently featured. If she's Carina, she's a very different take....pink skin and all.

Also, who's the muted chick in the case, with her mouth apparently sewn shut? A female version of Eros?

The writing is on the wall, people. The Collector is Thanos, period. No longer any doubt whatsoever.

Last edited:
It's the goddam INFINITY GAUNTLET ITSELF right there in the scene.

It's the big-ass....no, HUGE-ass, metallic thing in the case, prominently displayed for the whole scene. The Gauntlet, with empty sockets where each of the Gems should be. In fact, it's the very same prop that Marvel trotted out to SDCC a couple of years ago, except (again) minus the Gems.

The case Sif and Volstagg walk past, next to the one with the statue directly behind where Sif is standing? I don't think that's the IG dude. It's got tubes and crap coming out of it and doesn't look much like the prop. Looks creepy and alien.

I haven't seen the leaked post credits doodad from Thor but what is the fuss about regarding the tone?

i guess it's the bowing the collector does. seems a bit campy.

Sorry to post this here but I don't wanna go to the thor boards and ruin anything but is the second post thor scene worth staying for or just a silly one like shwarma? No details please!

Sorry to post this here but I don't wanna go to the thor boards and ruin anything but is the second post thor scene worth staying for or just a silly one like shwarma? No details please!
Haven't seen it, but from what I've read, it's worth seeing.

I haven't seen the leaked post credits doodad from Thor but what is the fuss about regarding the tone?

It's BDT's demeanor and the way he appears to be playing the character. He's hamming it up big time. Not necessarily a bad thing.

The case Sif and Volstagg walk past, next to the one with the statue directly behind where Sif is standing? I don't think that's the IG dude. It's got tubes and crap coming out of it and doesn't look much like the prop. Looks creepy and alien.

Yep, it's been "creepied and aliened up" in Gunn's hands, and looks awesome, btw. And yeah, it's mammoth-sized, probably six-seven feet tall. That's because the Gauntlet has always had the ability to change size to fit the hand of its wearer (there've been only a few besides Thanos). But the scene closes with one last glimpse *directly* of that object, and again, BDT looks right up at it as he says "One down, five to go."

I saw it yesterday and yes, I'd say it's worth staying for the 2nd credits scene. The shwarma scene was bad along with the credits scene in Ironman 3. This one's pretty cool though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"