Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians Of The Galaxy- User Review Thread. SPOILERS!

I think more emotional is a great way to put it. The Avengers, like I said, was a great spectacle but it never really struck any emotional chords. This movie hits it right off the bat with that super unsettling hospital scene. It was a cheap trick to pull at the viewer's heartstrings...but damned if it didn't work perfectly.

100% agreed. The Avengers lacked the emotional part of it. The reason why the team needs to save the earth and their reasons for defeating Loki.

But I think A2 is going to address that!

Will do a few comments now and a more substantive review later.
Anyway, here's my disclaimer, I haven't really felt that Marvel has done anything particularly good, comic wise, since about 1995. In terms of its films, they're fun to watch but not particularly deep.......I'm not really a huge fan

BUT ... GOTG, loved it, and will see it again !

Now Guardians of the Galaxy, I wouldn't call deep (as in it doesn't ask any big questions about the human condition) but it does have a real heart to it. That combination of heart and spectacle make it pretty amazing, I feel like it captured something that only the very first Star Wars movie
did - in terms of adventure, attitude and whizz-bang-pow amazing scenes.

I mean, action of itself does not make a great move, otherwise Michael Bay would have a cabinet full of oscars. His action scenes are an assault on the senses, are often too crazy and messy to be enjoyable.

But in GOTG Gunn really got that frantic Star Wars vibe right, as in original Star Wars (not the prequels). Way back in the day, when I saw Return of the Jedi, that big space battle at the end blew my mind.
Since then, sci-fi films all seem to have comparable effects, but Gunn recaptured some of the sense of spectacle that Lucas created, with ROTJ. In summary, he got the action right !

(prison escape sequence = pure awesome !)

I guess the nearest comparison would be if Joss Whedon had had $170 million to make Serenity (rather than $ 39 million), and chucked in a vast colourful array of aliens.

Performance wise, Pratt is a solid lead ( More Malcolm Reynolds than Han Solo, but he hits the right loveable rogue note).

Bautista pretty good as deadpan comic relief, Saldana was actually pretty boring as Gamora although she made up for it by looking great in her green makeup, but Cooper's Rocket stole every scene he was in - he and Groot are the best CGI characters since Gollum, should be an Oscar nomination in there somewhere.

Pace was pretty damn scary as Ronan - and like all good villains, you just can't wait to see him die !

The old rag-tag bunch of heroes with nothing to lose is an old cliche, but played out magnificently in this film.

Also, I saw it in 3D, generally I don't like 3D films. So far, only Pacific Rim has really been worthy of the 3D effects (Star Trek Into Darkness wasn't bad) but GOTG is great, 3D wise, definitely worth paying the extra for.

As I said, it's not a deep film, but a very entertaining one - there's a reasonable story, and sufficient development of the characters to make you care about them and engage with them, plus action scenes that generate genuine suspense. It's got a bit of heart to it (which was something I thought Avengers lacked). Definitely worth seeing and then a second look.

That was a massive roller coaster, emotionally, visually. In the last act alone, I cried, laughed and then laugh-cried. And honestly, I don't think I can rank this lower than any MCU movie... even my beloved Winter Soldier.

It's the best of the MCU, to be honest. Like, Gunn and Co. started with a bang and didn't let up until the end.

I'm having the hardest time coming up with my favorite character. Chris Pratt's warm-hearted Peter Quill? Bautista's eloquent brute Drax? Zoe Salanda's quiet, kickass Gamora? Rocket and Groot who both nearly stole every scene out from them. And then the supporting cast was great - particularly Rooker, Del Toro and Gillian.

I do disagree with anyone who thought that the villains were underwritten in this movie. I thought they were perfectly realized and menacing for the type of movie they were in. Gunn was clearly going for a Darth/Palpatine/Boba Fett vibe with Ronan and Thanos and Nebula, and it worked for me.

But the heart of this movie is with the Guardians themselves, none of whose stories were shortchanged, even if this movie focused on Peter Quill. Also, have to comment on the way Gunn used humor, not just in character actions, but with the special effects. Explosions and weapons were timed, even as punchlines, so deftly that they became characters in and of themselves. And the worlds that Gunn brought to life! I can't believe the movie was two hours; I needed more time with these guys.

I think I'm going to set up camp in the quotes thread. Because there were so, so many gems!

Honestly.... the best MCU movie. I don't know if I was the only one who basically ugly cried during the beginning and the last act. Then laughed again. Then cried a lot more.

10/10

My review

http://kane52630.tumblr.com/post/93728464404/guardians-of-the-galaxy-review

5w751Jr.jpg

Guardians of the Galaxy

Simply incredible. It's a great way to close the summer with GotG. (yeah, yeah, Ninja Turtles and Expendables...whatever...). James Gunn manages to do the impossible by balancing both comedy and drama with tremendous effort. Personally the Iron Man movies and the Avengers has nothing on this when it comes to that. The opening might as well be the most heartbreaking scene since Up, it starts off with a kick in your gut and transforms that into big laughs. What made this movie work the most was the relationships between the Guardians.

Of all my time watching pro wrestling, I would of never thought of Batista being a good actor. Between this and Riddick he can act incredibly well depending on the role. What made this movie a bit more special than any Marvel movie was them incorporating music into the story. The song choices was stellar and I can't wait to hear what's in store for Awesome Mix #2. I also love all the small supporting cast, namely Michael Rooker who has a scene stealer. As for the villains, I think Ronan the Accuser was the better version of Malekith. Ronan's link to Thanos made it a ton more interesting than some Ether bullsh**. Overall, it's heads above many of the Marvel films, it's right up there with Cap 1 & 2 and the Avengers. To me this is what all the Star Wars movies always wanted to be but couldn't. It's so good and I can't wait to see it again. To put it short and simple, my review is I AM GROOT.
9.5/10

Last edited:
That was a massive roller coaster, emotionally, visually. In the last act alone, I cried, laughed and then laugh-cried. And honestly, I don't think I can rank this lower than any MCU movie... even my beloved Winter Soldier.

It's the best of the MCU, to be honest. Like, Gunn and Co. started with a bang and didn't let up until the end.

I'm having the hardest time coming up with my favorite character. Chris Pratt's warm-hearted Peter Quill? Bautista's eloquent brute Drax? Zoe Salanda's quiet, kickass Gamora? Rocket and Groot who both nearly stole every scene out from them. And then the supporting cast was great - particularly Rooker, Del Toro and Gillian.

I do disagree with anyone who thought that the villains were underwritten in this movie. I thought they were perfectly realized and menacing for the type of movie they were in. Gunn was clearly going for a Darth/Palpatine/Boba Fett vibe with Ronan and Thanos and Nebula, and it worked for me.

But the heart of this movie is with the Guardians themselves, none of whose stories were shortchanged, even if this movie focused on Peter Quill. Also, have to comment on the way Gunn used humor, not just in character actions, but with the special effects. Explosions and weapons were timed, even as punchlines, so deftly that they became characters in and of themselves. And the worlds that Gunn brought to life! I can't believe the movie was two hours; I needed more time with these guys.

I think I'm going to set up camp in the quotes thread. Because there were so, so many gems!

Honestly.... the best MCU movie. I don't know if I was the only one who basically ugly cried during the beginning and the last act. Then laughed again. Then cried a lot more.

10/10

I've been keen to read your reaction, Suzanne! I'm glad you loved it. I can't decide what was the biggest near-tearjerker moment for me....

- "We are Groot."
- Rocket crying, and Drax patting his head.
- That extended close-up of Quill's teary-eyed face after he's read his mum's letter, and we find out how he got the name "Star-Lord."

All three of those had me with a lump in my throat.

GotG was my most anticipated film of the year and James Gunn nailed it. He delivered in every way. Great Easter Eggs everywhere and the movie had a tight story despite traveling all over the place. Great characterizations and all the adventure movie cliches were fun. I was very, very impressed with Batista's Drax (like Kane said, he was great in Riddick). I think he played the part perfectly and although I still don't like the fact that Rocket didn't have a Cockney accent, Bradley Cooper created his own unique voice and you could very rarely tell it was him.

Here's my review summed up in gifs (starring Justin Timberlake as Jimmy Fallon):
V8TH1wS.gif

6bxDydn.gif

SHcVO5q.gif

Ye9wRUt.gif

I prefer Bradley's version...it's got a bit of a New York accent to it so it works even better.

I've been keen to read your reaction, Suzanne! I'm glad you loved it. I can't decide what was the biggest near-tearjerker moment for me....

- "We are Groot."
- That extended close-up of Quill's teary-eyed face after he's read his mum's letter, and we find out how he got the name "Star-Lord."

Don't forget the beginning with his mom.

- "We are Groot."

Yep, pretty much I was a mess for all of those! But then uncontrollably laughing when
Peter distracted "turd blossom".

Also, the fact that Gunn characterized Yondu as every great Michael Rooker character was perfect for me. I want a Yondu spinoff so much!

The only fault I could find was that, at the beginning, the editing was maybe a little off. There were some great, great moments, and we were pulled out of them quickly, or there was a jump to another thing. But all the team chemistry/story/space operainess was so effortlessly executed, it made the entire product an absolute joy to watch.

Also, that was one helluva inspiring final act, to be honest. Some really feel-good, optimistic stuff, mixed in with a whole lot of feels ;)

10/10

So happy to hear you loved it, I knew you would. :woot: I need to see it again this week. I'm so eager to.

That scene was a tearjerker as well. This movie had probably the best range of genuine emotion of any previous MCU film.
I also felt for Rocket when he talked about the experimentation on him.

THIS POST MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!!!

I don't like tags so I'm just warning you all now.

I've already said it, but I'd like to go a little deeper: This is one of the best blockbusters in the last decade.

Considering we all know these MCU films are meant to connect and weave together, certain "fanish" expectations are prominent that may not be if we still lived in a world of stand alone films.
Take example, most people accept GG or Doc Ock or Ras Al Ghul dying in their films because we know that the superhero genre was in a different place back then before a shared universe was a reality. Whereas now, if they were to kill off the main villains in these films we would take to the streets.

Take for instance the ever present "character development" critique. I'm going to ignore my personal annoyance at this criticism (because it seemingly shows up for every movie discussion ever like a go-to critique) and say that maybe if the expectations of these films being connected weren't in the back of our minds, maybe characters like Ronan or whomever may not end up being one of the few sore spots for people because the idea of a shared universe suggests all these people can and may come back later. This is double edged sword for obvious reasons.

What I'm getting at is, even if Ronan isn't the best representation of the character, he still works well for this one singular film. He serves a purpose for the plot and did what he was meant to do so his death was OK in my book, even if I know there could have been more done with him in future films. GOTG works so well on it's own, all the while introducing tons of things that will most likely pay-off later. All of it's exposition and set up is concise and relevant. It never once feels like it's taking an aside from itself to dangle some juicy tidbits for upcoming films-yet it DOES dangle juicy tidbits for upcoming films! It really is a great juggling act.

On top of all of that, ignoring its MCU status...the film is just a rollicking great time. It's so filled with energy and charm and wit. It really embraces being it's own thing and feels like summer blockbusters of yesteryear in execution and earnestness.

I think the funniest moment for me was the response Rhomann Dey gave Drax when he asked about pulling somone's spinal cord out.

I've already seen this three times in theaters and can honestly see myself going at least one more time if not more. Ha. I haven't done this since... never.

The opening titles, man. That **** is classic.

I think the funniest moment for me was the response Rhomann Dey gave Drax when he asked about pulling somone's spinal cord out.
I think a funnier moment was a few seconds later when Rocket asks about stealing and asking, "What if I want it more than the other guy?" Him just persistently asking until giving up was just so funny.

I don't have time to write a lengthy review, but even with my extremely high expectation, this movie exceeded them. This is definitely in the top 3 MCU movies for me and one of the very best comic book movie ever. Kudos to Marvel, Gunn, and everybody involved.

I think a funnier moment was a few seconds later when Rocket asks about stealing and asking, "What if I want it more than the other guy?" Him just persistently asking until giving up was just so funny.

Ya that was very funny too. But I just loved facial reaction and then the delivery of "um that's murder, one of the worst crimes you could commit"

posted this in the regular thread, figured I'd post it here too. If i had to give it a number rating I'd give it a 9.5/10 I can't think of much I didn't enjoy in the film.

Wow, this full deserves every bit of praise it is receiving. I'm so glad I went in fully spoiler free. The film blew away every expectation I had, and I hate space type scifi stuff.

I can without a doubt say its my favorite MCU film, I haven't laughed so much in a long time. The story was great, every character was fantastic all around, they even got me teary eyed in some scenes towards the end.

I think Cap 2 is their best film that Marvel has put out, but GotG is no doubt my favorite. I cant wait to watch it again.

I can't even think of anything I disliked while watching it. Drax was totally opposite of what I expected, the range of Groot's simplicity was incredible, Pratt killed it, Rocket and Gamora were great. The villains were all solid, Thanos left me barely being able to wait to see more of him. The Nova Corps members were interesting. Del Toro's Collector was a perfect character. The storyline was phenomenal, with the transition to becoming a real team feeling so meaningful.

The MCU is running on all cylinders right now, I mean how lucky are we that after this incredible film we're getting Age of freaking Ultron next!? I had reservations about this film and AntMan, but I now have zero worries about Ant Man anymore, I'm 100% confident its only going to be just as perfect as the rest.

Short review: It's not perfect, but it's a worthy Marvel Studios film; B+

The Good:
- Groot
- The emotional development of Starlord, particularly using music to connect with his mother.
- Gamora and Drax looked very cool.
- The world building, specifically the design of Xandar, Knowhere, etc.
- The Nova Corps. The ships were very cool and that blockade net they made was brilliant.
- Groot's sacrifice and baby Groot.
- Drax not understanding metaphors.
- Glenn Close elevating the movie just enough.
- The right amount of John C. Reilly
- Ronan's look and Lee Pace's performance. I definitely didn't see him as another weak Marvel Studios villain.
- Nebula's look and the tension built between her and Gamora.
- Gamora having more personality than I expected. I particularly liked it when she referenced Footloose.
- Thanos's throne and smile.
- The sequence where Gamora reaches her hand out to Starlord mirroring his mother.
- Groot
- This movie is good because it has heart and appropriately represents cosmic marvel.

The Bad:
- The infinity gem was a mcguffin, reminding me of Thor: The Dark World.
- Gamora didn't seem any more deadly than, say, Black Widow.
- Drax used a pun ("paper men")
- Rocket Racoon is probably going to be a break out character, but he's hyper violent and an ass. There were also too many "oh yeah Rocket is a badass" shots.
- Ronan wanted revenge on Xandar, but the movie never tells us why.
- Nebula's motivations were unclear. She also wanted to betray Thanos?
- Thanos's face looked CGI and he wasn't that threatening/terrifying.
- The movie didn't quite deliver on the Gamora/Nebula showdown.
- Yondu and his gang of rednecks.

The Ugly:
- Gamora needing to be saved by Starlord.
- Drax calling Gamora a ****e.
- Ronan being distracted by Starlord.
- Howard the Duck.

Solid B+

Last edited:
Just saw it today. So, so good. This one might be Marvel's best film yet. It's definitely a better film than The Avengers in terms of story and well... pretty much everything. None of the heroes get short-changed, and that's remarkable given that this was the first time we've seen any of these people. Watching it, I think I got the same feeling that my parents must have gotten in the late 70s when they saw Star Wars on the big screen. This movie, as far as I'm concerned, is the new Star Wars or Star Trek, more than the latest superhero movie. I'm not all that familiar with the comic, so I can't say how closely this stuck to that... but in all honesty, I don't care. If diverging from the source material can create this good of a movie, then I'm all for it. Pratt delivered a tour de force, Saldana and Bautista were badass but still deeply wounded, Cooper and Diesel did a bang-up job on their voicework, Rooker awesome as always... seriously, everything in this movie just worked. I'll admit, out of all the Marvel films to come out since they started this thing, I was really worried about this one. It didn't seem like something that would work on the big screen to me. I'm happy that I was dead wrong. James Gunn and Nicole Perlman deserve a round of applause for this. They knocked it out of the park.

I can't wait for Guardians 2: Age of Howard.

10/10

I loved this movie more than anything this year (seen it 3 times already, will be going back for more), but I feel like it's a little early to be calling it "The New Star Wars" considering there's an ACTUAL new Star Wars coming out next year. :oldrazz:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"