Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians Of The Galaxy- User Review Thread. SPOILERS!

Frankly, I didn't go into the movie expecting much. I thought (and still think) that the comics are a dumb concept. I thought that the movie was Marvel drinking its own kool-aid and thinking its brand is untouchable. Man, was I wrong. This movie blew me away.

I think it had two big things working to its advantage:

1) It was relatively separate from the rest of the Marvel Film-verse (and I hope it stays that way). As a result, it didn't feel like a mashup or a super hero side-show. It felt like a self-contained, space opera that was free to stretch its legs and be its own thing.

2) Pratt's Starlord is easily the best protagonist Marvel has produced yet. He has a lot of Tony Stark's qualities and flaws, but unlike Stark, he is relatable. The opening scene was brilliant. It was so unsettling....to see his bald cancer-stricken mother, die in front of him. It really catches you off guard and knocks the wind out of the viewer emotionally at such an early stage. It is something everyone can relate to and feel and it immediately bonds the viewer to Starlord. And even at his worst moments, Pratt's natural charm maintains that bond.

This is Marvel's best movie. Forget about The Avengers, which while good, is mostly good due to the unprecedented spectacle of it. It isn't a great film, but it is great for what it is. GOTG on the other hand is a great film, it is an epic space opera. I know this gets thrown around a lot, so I don't say it lightly, but GOTG is Marvel's Star Wars. Question is, will Feige and Co. be smart enough to see it or will they simply use the franchise to advertise for Avengers 3 (like they did with Iron Man 2)?

Why do you think the comics are a dumb concept? If you can't do wacky out of this world stuff like this with comic books then what is the point of comic books?

Glad you enjoyed the film though. I too think it's better than Avengers. It uses the same structural template but refines it and makes it feel fresh and more emotional.

Why do you think the comics are a dumb concept? If you can't do wacky out of this world stuff like this with comic books then what is the point of comic books?

Meh, the humor just doesn't appeal to me. It tries too hard, if that makes sense. Kinda like the writers almost saying, "Look!!!! It's a talking raccoon and a Russian dog! See how clever and meta we are being!?!?" I think that schtick got plenty old with Deadpool and at this point it is just being stretched out to the point where it isn't really funny anymore.

Glad you enjoyed the film though. I too think it's better than Avengers. It uses the same structural template but refines it and makes it feel fresh and more emotional.

I think more emotional is a great way to put it. The Avengers, like I said, was a great spectacle but it never really struck any emotional chords. This movie hits it right off the bat with that super unsettling hospital scene. It was a cheap trick to pull at the viewer's heartstrings...but damned if it didn't work perfectly.

That is fair enough and i see where you're coming from.

And yea it was a great way to start the film. I think it also speaks to the audience in that it's escapism from our regular lives. What better way to escape than out into space? The way they done it as a cold opening, before even the Marvel Studios logo, was pretty cool. It's like little Quill is escaping into the Marvel Universe.

Sorry to hear that man. Well, not sorry that you live in Italy, i'd love to live there lol. Sorry you have to wait so long.

Hey can someone explain what the joke was when
Rocket and Starlord were flying the pods and Starlord is saying how these pods are nearly indestructable and Rocket says not against necroplast. What is necroplast and why was Rocket like "oh" after Starlord said, "I don't mean that" etc.

It just went over my head and its driving me crazy that I don't know what it meant. Lol

Necroblasts. As in the green lasers they were shooting. The pods wouldn't take being shot, but they could be used to ram the other ships. Hence why Rocket then rams into them :)

Necroblasts. As in the green lasers they were shooting. The pods wouldn't take being shot, but they could be used to ram the other ships. Hence why Rocket then rams into them :)

Thanks. See over my head. Blasts....where's closed caption for the hard of hearing in these theaters? Lol

Needed a few days and a second viewing but to decide but it's now in my top five comic book movies I never thought I'd see the guardians on the big screen but seeing one of my favorite teams on the big screen 9 out of 10 on a side note dc/wb should be utterly embarrassed.

Ok just got from this bad boy so will give a quick run down on the pro's and con's that I found with this film, that overall has to be said, was a lot of fun.

Pro's
Star-Lord is a great, lovable rogue like character, could have watched a whole movie just based on him, Pratt is perfect as him as well, always liked him since he shot Bin Laden but here this the perfect roll to just cut loose and go for it. Great character.

Rocket - brilliant, Cooper did an awesome job with him too and the banter between SL and Rocket is pitch perfect, very funny.

Groot, Gamora and Drax were all good too, they made a good, balanced if slightly dysfunctional group (which was kind of the point)

Like the quirkyness, vibe and tone of the film, never taking itself too seriously and happy to poke fun at itself at times, Rocket being the obvious example "Oh look were standing in a circle...."

Great costume design and sets, even though you know a lot is green screen it never looks like it.

Cons
The villains, as often the case in Marvel films, were weak. Ronan, Nebula were both forgettable and not greatly fleshed out, just seemed liked dimwits there for the Guardians to rag on.

Thanos, a big letdown, not as epic as he should have been.

The story was pretty basic stuff and pretty similar to Thor 2 in a lot of respects (thankfully a much better film though)

Howard the Duck

Overall though as I first said it was a lot of fun and Star Lord and Rocket make it worth the price of a ticket alone, good team dynamic, a sort of anti-Avengers team but with a similar spark and buzz off each other.

For a score I would say 8/10 seems about fair overall.

In terms of its ranking among other Marvel films, its well up there. Not at the level of The Winter Soldier but pretty comparable to the Avengers and well ahead of Thor2/IM3, but a nice addition to the franchise that has got a solid base to build from now.

Just curious but why did you feel he was a big letdown? I've seen some people complain that he didn't really do anything but as far as I'm concerned he was there to introduce him to the general audience who were probably asking "who is that?" when they saw him in the mid credit scene from Avengers.

I don't see the problem. He's kind of like the Emperor in The Empire Strikes Back. You get an introduction, but the rest is yet to come.

Let's just hope he doesn't turn into Sauron (the evil lurking in the background, but never a meaningful threat).

Last edited:
Just curious but why did you feel he was a big letdown? I've seen some people complain that he didn't really do anything but as far as I'm concerned he was there to introduce him to the general audience who were probably asking "who is that?" when they saw him in the mid credit scene from Avengers.

I dont know but I expected something a little more memorable than just here he is, on his thrown in space, it was only a small bit so not exactly a massive deterrent for the whole film but just seemed sort of thrown in there for fan service there was not a huge point to him being there, it was just a bit forgettable where as I would have though he warranted something more memorable for Marvels biggest villain.

As I said not a big deal and he will probably get something more meaningful in future films but for his first proper reveal seamed lackluster to me.

I don't see the problem. He's kind of like the Emperor in The Empire Strikes Back. You get an introduction, but the rest is yet to come.

Let's just hope he doesn't turn into Sauron (the evil lurking the background, but never actually lifts a finger)

Very good point, I hope too he doesnt end up like that.

I dont know but I expected something a little more memorable than just here he is, on his thrown in space, it was only a small bit so not exactly a massive deterrent for the whole film but just seemed sort of thrown in there for fan service there was not a huge point to him being there, it was just a bit forgettable where as I would have though he warranted something more memorable for Marvels biggest villain.

As I said not a big deal and he will probably get something more meaningful in future films but for his first proper reveal seamed lackluster to me.

I completely disagree that it was fan service. Like I said before, he's there to introduce him to the general audience, not to mention they are leading up to an Infinity Gauntlet film so they needed to introduce him at some point. I think this film was the right one to do it in. Gamora and Nebula are in this film and they're his adopted daughters so it touched on their backstories a bit. This is Marvel's first true galactic film and what better film to introduce him in than this one.

I completely disagree that it was fan service. Like I said before, he's there to introduce him to the general audience, not to mention they are leading up to an Infinity Gauntlet film so they needed to introduce him at some point. I think this film was the right one to do it in. Gamora and Nebula are in this film and they're his adopted daughters so it touched on their backstories a bit. This is Marvel's first true galactic film and what better film to introduce him in than this one.

Maybe it was, but I was just expecting more from him, who knows maybe next time we will get more from him though.

Maybe it was, but I was just expecting more from him, who knows maybe next time we will get more from him though.

I think we can count on that. If not, even I will facepalm a bit. In Guardians I was fine with his scene but in the next movie he appears in it should show him physically going after the Infinity Gems.

Let me put it this way. If Thanos did do more, then the Guardians would be dead in like five seconds because Thanos is clearly on a whole different level of power from anyone else. Heck Korath even calls him the "most powerful being in the universe."

This is Marvels crowning achivement. My hopes and expectations were through the roof and this movie shattered them and went to places I dreamed of.

Beautiful, emotional and fun. That last scene with Groot had me holding back tears. I would have probably just let them out had it not been a full screening (10:30 am too).

One of the best sci fi films ever created and quite possibly Marvels most emotional film besides the CA: TWS.

I wanted to hug Rocket and Groot and fight alongside Star Lord, Gamora and Drax. I don't think I have ever been so emotionally invested in a superhero movie. A few others but very few have made such gigantic spectacle feel so personal.

Infinity gems/12%

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"