Guillermo del Toro Developing Pinocchio

In other Pinocchio Movie news.

http://www.slashfilm.com/tim-burton-robert-downey-jr-play-geppetto-pinocchio/

Tim Burton Wants Robert Downey Jr. To Play Geppetto In ‘Pinocchio’

Posted on Saturday, January 7th, 2012 by Germain Lussier

Tim Burton has two movies coming out in 2012, Dark Shadows and Frankenweenie, but what he does after that is very much up in the air. The Batman, Edward Scissorhands and Alice in Wonderland director is attached to several different projects but, as of this moment, his interest is mostly on something new: a live-action version of the classic Carlo Collodi book and Disney film Pinocchio. And he’d like Robert Downey Jr. to play the woodcarver who makes a real life boy. Read more after the jump.

The Hollywood Reporter exclusively broke this story which, of course, comes with a ton of cavieats.

Neither Burton nor Downey has a deal with Warners, but sources say Burton is keen to direct the film and has begun talks with the studio, so it’s just a question of whether Pinocchio will be his next movie. The Alice in Wonderland director also is eyeing an adaptation of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children at Fox, among other projects. Warners wants to move quickly with Pinocchio, so if Burton chooses to make another movie first, the studio might move on to other directors.

Despite all that, as well as Downey’s busy schedule, the actor has reportedly expressed a major interest in the project and working with Burton.

This version of the film, which was written by Pushing Daises creator Bryan Fuller, is different from the Guillermo Del Toro film that’s in development as well as the Shawn Levy one. It is more along the lines of Burton’s Alice in Wonderland in that it’s a pseudo-sequel to the classic story. Geppetto is the star who “embarks on a quest to reunite with his missing marionette.” It’s set up at Warner Bros.

I’d pay to see anything Burton or Downey Jr. do so, if they two can get on the same page, I’m all for it. There certainly are a bunch of bridges to cross first though. And if Downey Jr. fails, I’m sure Burton has Johnny Depp on speed dial.

Do you think this will happen? Does the collaboration excite you?

New update: Del Toro to Co-Direct; Film to take place between WWI and WWII in Italy.

Guillermo Del Toro will co-direct "Guillermo Del Toro's Pinocchio" with Mark Gustafson, animation director on "The Fantastic Mr. Fox," as a 3D stop-motion animated production of the Jim Henson Company.
Del Toro told Variety that he plans to begin shooting in the summer of 2013. It's the first time he's directed an animated feature.

Story will be set in Italy between WWI and WWII. "It was when everyone was behaving like a puppet, except for puppets," Del Toro said.

Del Toro disclosed in 2008 that he had began working on a Pinnochio project with Henson and Gris Grimly, who illustrated a 2002 version of "Pinocchio." At that point, Grimly and Adam Parrish King were attached to co-direct; last year, Del Toro and Henson Co. announced that Grimly would co-direct with Gustafson.

Del Toro said Wednesday that he has gradually come around to the idea of co-directing due to the complexity of the project -- which will require a year to shoot. He's currently in post-production on "Pacific Rim" for Warner Bros. and is planning to work on a re-design for "Pinocchio."

"Little by little, I realized that I should direct," he added, noting that the story has had a profound influence on him -- to the point of collecting puppets along with original art from Disney's 1940 "Pinocchio."

The story is by Del Toro, frequent collaborator Matthew Robbins and Grimly with Pinocchio embarking on a series of adventures and proving himself to be as indestructible as his love for his father. Robbins wrote the screenplay.

Inferno Entertainment will represent the property to international buyers at Cannes Film Festival.

Del Toro most recently served as exec producer of DreamWorks' "Puss in Boots," "Kung Fu Panda 2" and the upcoming "Rise of the Guardians" as well as creative consultant on "Megamind."

Lisa Henson will produce for The Jim Henson Company with Del Toro and Jason Lust. Grimly and Gary Ungar will exec produce as will Bill Johnson and Jim Seibel of Inferno. Nick Cave will serve as music consultant.

"Guillermo has been so passionate about this project from its inception and it is an honor to have him bring his unique blend of live action and animation experience to this well-loved story," said Lisa Henson, who's CEO of the Jim Henson Company.

Del Toro said no casting decisions have been made but noted he's considered Tom Waits for the role of Pinocchio's father and Donald Sutherland for the role of the fox.

Pinocchio first appeared in the 19th century book "The Adventures of Pinocchio" by Carlo Collodi. Walt Disney produced the first feature version of the story with his animated "Pinocchio" in 1940.

"We thought the combination of beloved family friendly brands such as Pinocchio and The Jim Henson Company along with the visual and storytelling genius of Guillermo del Toro would have the makings of a film that can have tremendous worldwide box office appeal," said Bill Johnson, co-chairman of Inferno International.

Recent credits for the Henson Co. include "Sid the Science Kid," "Dinosaur Train," "Wilson & Ditch: Digging America" and "Pajanimals." Features include "The Dark Crystal," "Labyrinth," "MirrorMask," and "Unstable Fables."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118053758.htm

I think it sounds fantastic.

I'm glad he's finally doing something worthful after wasting so much time with The Hobbit. This world needs more of his fantastic movies.

And him tackling Pinocchio? We already know it's going to be great, at least visually speaking.

@Del Toro: GREAT, YOU DECIDED TO STICK WITH ONE PROJECT!

That concept art on the last page was intriguing. I wish they'd get the mood for HB3, but se la vee.

"It was when everyone was behaving like a puppet, except for puppets"?

I'm there.

Love the design of Pinocchio in the concept art.

And a GDT stop-motion film? **** yes.

One awesome thing about Pinnochio that I found out from the behind the scenes disney featurette is that the actual story it's based on is VERY dark.

How many projects does this guy line up before getting anything done ?

Guillermo del Toro to Direct Stop-Motion Musical 'Pinocchio' for Netflix

Guillermo del Toro, who won best director and best picture Oscar for his creature feature love story Shape of Water, has finally settled on his next movie.

The filmmaker will write, direct and produce a new adaptation of Pinocchio, setting up his long-in-the works project at Netflix, which made the announcement.

Pinocchio will finally put del Toro in the belly of the animation whale, so to speak. The Mexico-born filmmaker has acted as a creative consultant and exec producer over the years on movies such as Megamind, Puss in Boots and Rise of the Guardiansand a producer on Book of Life, but he has never helmed one.

The story will be told as a stop-motion musical and set in during the rise of fascism in Italy under Mussolini.

“No artform has influenced my life and my work more than animation and no single character in history has had as deep of a personal connection to me as Pinocchio,” said del Toro in a statement.

“In our story, Pinocchio is an innocent soul with an uncaring father who gets lost in a world he cannot comprehend. He embarks on an extraordinary journey that leaves him with a deep understanding of his father and the real world. I’ve wanted to make this movie for as long as I can remember.”

Production is set to begin this fall as del Toro has already assembled many key below-the-line talent.

Will they ever touch that?

Oh damn, Patrick McHale is co-writing? I’m here for it.

Can't wait to see what a stop-motion GDT film looks like.

Knowing GDT's affinity for animation, a full animated movie will really be something coming from him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"